samurai showdown 6 hit japanese arcades today!

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Hmkay said:
Yeah, exactly...

It's a shame really. No nicely redrawn Earthquake for us. In this game, he must look like a mix of his true self and his henchmen, size-wise. o_o
Even if they made a special edition of this game, an upgrade or whatever next year, there's no way they'd ever redo him now that they "bothered" doing that cheap SS2 sprite edit.
It may be a small detail for some, but personally, this my the biggest complaint with this game so far.

100% seconded.

Funny (?) thing is, among ALL the returning characters from SS2 Earthquake was NO DOUBT the one in major need of total redrawing, just for the very reason I've exposed in my previous post. Yet other were redrawn from sratch (Wan Fu, Sieger, possibily ChamCham), and Earthquake got just slighlty edited.

It's pure nonsense I say.

MegaMako

n00b
Abster said:
Cham Cham did get redrawn from scratch for the most part.

I guess that is some good news. I have not seen any Cham Cham vids yet, so I just hope she is pretty sweet, and not too much of a pain in the butt. :emb:

I was very excited to buy this game for my Atomiswave the moment it ships, but now I think I just may wait a bit for the price to drop. I payed $900 for the NGBC kit, and less than 2 weeks later it is half price! :angry: LOL. So, for anyone who plays NGBC, you know that is about 2 rounds worth the load times! LOL J/K... I do enjoy the game.

I am very excited to play this new SS. My girlfriend noticed all of the voice changes to some of her favorite characters. It made her a bit sad too, since she has been playing SS since the first one as well, and have been hearing many of these voices in her sleep for the last 10 years or so. I just hope the new voices are just as good.

I hope to see some more vids soon. And thanks to all that have posted the links to these vids! Great stuff! :)

Abster

Dodgeball Yakuza
Well, not all the changes were for the good. Nicotine sounds pretty bad to me, and a number of other characters seem off, but as long as Chibarei is providing Cham Cham's voice this time I think she'll be fine. Then of course there's the no blood rule which had be in a stir for months now.

Good to see another Cham Cham fan come across.

Hmkay

Sakura's Bank Manager
Shito said:
100% seconded.

Funny (?) thing is, among ALL the returning characters from SS2 Earthquake was NO DOUBT the one in major need of total redrawing, just for the very reason I've exposed in my previous post. Yet other were redrawn from sratch (Wan Fu, Sieger, possibily ChamCham), and Earthquake got just slighlty edited.

It's pure nonsense I say.
Yeah well... Earthquake being supposed to be huge, it must have been loads of work... But it still *should* have been done. As I already pointed out before, he should be as big as he is in Genjuro's SS4 ending or Gaira's SS5 one.
I'd rather have had Yuki to just bring back 3 or 4 characters and redraw them all nicely... As opposed to bring back 6 characters and just redraw half of them.
And Nicotine is alright even if not redrawn, indeed... As I also pointed out before, he's the only cameo character from SS1-2 who didn't get redrawn in the SS4 endings, yet he didn't look out of place at all.

Anyway... When you think about it, this game adds loads of characters... 4 new ones, 6 come backs, and possibly 2 hidden ones as well. I think it might be the first time a mere game "upgrade" adds so many characters at once in a fighting game. But as I said, I would have preferred quality over quantity.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Hmkay said:
Yeah well... Earthquake being supposed to be huge, it must have been loads of work... But it still *should* have been done. As I already pointed out before, he should be as big as he is in Genjuro's SS4 ending or Gaira's SS5 one.

100% seconded again.

Hmkay said:
Anyway... When you think about it, this game adds loads of characters... 4 new ones, 6 come backs, and possibly 2 hidden ones as well. I think it might be the first time a mere game "upgrade" adds so many characters at once in a fighting game. But as I said, I would have preferred quality over quantity.

Well, SSZ was quite a step also. We got quite a bunch of new stuff there too! :)
Possibly the 'most upgrading upgrade' in SNK history was KOF96 anyway.

Hmkay

Sakura's Bank Manager
Shito said:
Well, SSZ was quite a step also.
SS5 added many characters, but many of them were clones. Among 11 new characters (counting bosses), only 5 of them were really new...
SS6 brings no new clones, which is cool and just "fair" after what we've had in SS5...

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
Hmkay said:
SS5 added many characters, but many of them were clones. Among 11 new characters (counting bosses), only 5 of them were really new...
SS6 brings no new clones, which is cool and just "fair" after what we've had in SS5...

wat is expected from games these days? there isnt as much change between 1 and 2 as there is between 5/5spc and 6 right?

Hmkay

Sakura's Bank Manager
beelzebubble said:
wat is expected from games these days? there isnt as much change between 1 and 2 as there is between 5/5spc and 6 right?
Expectations change (especially since SS6 is on a different system)... Also, SS1 and 2 were over 10 years ago. Basically, apart from Tam Tam getting removed and musics being changed for the worse, SS2 is superior to SS1 in pretty much everything.
This isn't the case with the latest SS games... Even though SS6 looks great and all, it doesn't seem to surpass SS5S in all regards. SS5S has blood, fatalities, Zetsumei... And a different gameplay too, slower and all. (And a better balance would say Iggy)

By the way, from the videos I've seen, the damage is too low in SS6... Rounds last too long, and many don't end far from time outs (if they don't actually end on time outs).

Last edited:

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
shit im really digging the feel of this new installment!

the thing im most impressed with though are the graphics, the marriage of 3d bgs + effects with nice finely drawn and clear 2d sprites is done very well in this game. andrews dashing attack (qcb+SLASH) has a normal version and an eagle version, the eagle version is an example of the nice graphics. the bgs are cool too.

cham cham, gave her a whirl today... she seems ok... her run speed is crazy making her really good at run=>throw.. no matter how much you use it though its not a very effective technique for anything more than keeping your opponent on their back foot seeing as the damage on throws has been greatly reduced from 5 (where run throw was a major part of the game). seems like a good move design wise to lower the damage of throws to me.

her rdp+C move is the monkey jump and fireball spit one and it bounces the opponent so much you can jump in with a j.C for big damage off the juggle. if you can knock the opponent down and constantly rain the rdp+C on them as they wake up (you can roll as you get up now so meaties are a much bigger part of the game) then you are going to do well.

saw the top players trying to break the game tonight.. they couldnt reliably block amakusas ball in the air rush down attack and they just kept doing it->knocking down->repeat as the opponent wakes up, right above the opponent.. nine times out of ten they were eating it... they were talking about how they didnt know how to reliably block it and having a laught about it... time will tell how this gets handled.

started using caffeine. he is really cool and easy to use. his fb is ok. his qcb+slash move is awesome. a little blue spirit version of himself moves forward and does a three hit combo (i only really use the light version but ive seen the heavy and it seems to hit low on the last hit). the thing is you can juggle with a j.HSLASH while the opponent is getting hit by it. i havent put it all together yet but j.C(crossup)=>s.B=>qcb+A=>j.C seems to be possible. caffeines s.C does huge damaage, his j.C is an awesome crossup that can be done even if you dont crossup deep (which makes it safer for you seeing as its easy to punish a blocked crossup with a throw) and his c.B is pretty good.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
At this rate, I'm pretty sure this is an excellent game at least.

I think we simply should not ask this game to be 100% true to the SS tradition and feel. It's on a new hardware to begin with.

Yuki accomplished the difficult task to present us a someway refrshed product, with a quite high level of brand new stuff, overall quality, and finally a nice mix of old stuff and new solutions.

That's something. Most likely the very best we can expect from any 'old skool game' coming out these days.

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
When can we expect a port to ps2? I'm pretty sure the Atomiswave cart will quite expensive for a time to come...

Hmkay

Sakura's Bank Manager
gamejunkie said:
When can we expect a port to ps2? I'm pretty sure the Atomiswave cart will quite expensive for a time to come...
Depends on what you mean by "expensive", as the price of NBC kits has dropped like a rock... $448 at excellentcom according to someone here.

UnCauzi

Crazed MVS Addict
I have to say after playing this game it's not bad, Tam Tam fans I think will rejoice (they actually gave him a jumping slash with different animation) only think is his game is hurt slightly by the damage system imo.

Kuse is hot, but that may be my bias since I play one of the best Kuses in the world imo. (When we were in Japan crazy japanese players were saying that he's amazing a few were supposed to be pretty up there gaming wise.) His roll is a bit different which kind pisses off my freind though since he kind of hops at the beginning of it. Personally I don't see much of a difference.

Mina seems a bit nerfed (more details later) but the lower damage is in her favor.

Genan is a splendid pain in the ass if played right. Anti Mina btw.

Overall I'll say I like the game, although the dial a combos pissed me off to see at first so far I don't see anything really exploitable from them.

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
gamejunkie said:

both this and NBC are (dances with joy) somehow getting ports on the ps2 around the end of this year (winter period in japan).

both confirmed officially too!

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
UnCauzi said:
I have to say after playing this game it's not bad, Tam Tam fans I think will rejoice (they actually gave him a jumping slash with different animation) only think is his game is hurt slightly by the damage system imo.

Kuse is hot, but that may be my bias since I play one of the best Kuses in the world imo. (When we were in Japan crazy japanese players were saying that he's amazing a few were supposed to be pretty up there gaming wise.) His roll is a bit different which kind pisses off my freind though since he kind of hops at the beginning of it. Personally I don't see much of a difference.

Mina seems a bit nerfed (more details later) but the lower damage is in her favor.

Genan is a splendid pain in the ass if played right. Anti Mina btw.

Overall I'll say I like the game, although the dial a combos pissed me off to see at first so far I don't see anything really exploitable from them.

yeah genan isnt my cup of tea but if you learn his fireball game you can control like a mother fucker and he has plenty of mixup options after you get stuck in an fb starting off with his new and very useful wall jump.

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
Hmkay said:
Depends on what you mean by "expensive", as the price of NBC kits has dropped like a rock... $448 at excellentcom according to someone here.

I meant expensive as more so than an MVS cart. :D

beelzebubble said:
both this and NBC are (dances with joy) somehow getting ports on the ps2 around the end of this year (winter period in japan).

both confirmed officially too!

That's wonderful news!

SS6 from what I've seen in videos, reminds me of MvC2. It's not quite as over-the-top as MvC2, but looks just as fun with the sped up gameplay and huge roster. I'm really interested in trying out these juggles I've been seeing.

MegaMako

n00b
Hmkay said:

I could not find the board listed at that price. Might be that it was a limited time offer, or maybe just sold out before I got there. It is crazy on how fast these kits drop in price. I guess that will be the last time I buy one right when it comes out! LOL. :blow_top:

Although, I have had a blast playing NGBC with friends, but I still just get my butt handed back to me when I go and play at AI on the weekends. :lol: Basically, when it comes down to it, if you don't have tournament player buds to practice with, you just don't learn some of the good presure tactics. Just wish the CPU was a bit more fun to play against. All in all, its still a good game.

And, I want to play SS6 NOW!!! :multi_co:

Abster

Dodgeball Yakuza
Cmon. SS isn't the weapon based game for juggles and full fledged combos. That goes to Guilty Gear.

Hmkay

Sakura's Bank Manager
MegaMako said:
I could not find the board listed at that price. Might be that it was a limited time offer, or maybe just sold out before I got there. It is crazy on how fast these kits drop in price. I guess that will be the last time I buy one right when it comes out! LOL. :blow_top:
The latest offers of sites like that are often seen in news letters, and not on the websites themselves...

MegaMako

n00b
Hmkay said:
The latest offers of sites like that are often seen in news letters, and not on the websites themselves...

Yeah, that makes sense. I forgot about that. I remember that happens a lot with Coinopexpress. I guess I was just hoping that the price drop was not real so I would feel more like I got a good deal. :eek: Oh well! LOL!

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
Abster said:
Cmon. SS isn't the weapon based game for juggles and full fledged combos. That goes to Guilty Gear.

the game is whatever the designers want it to be.

from there you decide whether you like it or not.

Abster

Dodgeball Yakuza
beelzebubble said:
the game is whatever the designers want it to be.

from there you decide whether you like it or not.

Well, the only way combos should be present is with the SS4 based spirit. Are you saying it's ok that SS has become combo orientated? :oh_no:

Frankfurt

Cheng's Errand Boy
Abster said:
Well, the only way combos should be present is with the SS4 based spirit. Are you saying it's ok that SS has become combo orientated? :oh_no:

It´s the best SS since SS2, even better than SS0s.

Does that answer your question, whiner?