samurai showdown 6 hit japanese arcades today!

VinylBoy

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
SERVER OVERLOAD!!! :)

I can sense about 1,000,000,000,000,000 clicks on that video link as soon as it was posted. ;)

I'm too surprised at this fast release in the SS series. But I'm glad that it's out and the first intial responses have been good. Looking forward to hearing what Cham Cham & Nicotine can do... it's been nearly 4 SS games without my favorite characters so I hope the news is good.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Link got pounded, someone give me the vids so I can mirror them on dr.com.

AIM LWKSNK

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Played one game of SStenka today.

The visuals are amazing. The presentation is so slick. The sprites look REALLY nice. (Still not GGXX quality though.) There is a lot of yellow, reminds me of CvS2 for some reason. Also they took out the annoying AWcard system so you don't have to wait for the damn rounds to load up (this was SO annoying in Kof Neowave.)

The game engine feels a lot different from SS0special. Feels much more responsive (as Beelz mentioned.)

This game is excellent. There were people playing it constantly at the arcade I was at, and everyone was using a variety of characters. Can't wait to play this in Akihabara or watch some games.

No blood.... I don't know how I feel about it yet. It seems like the violence of SamSho has always been a series trademark.

Don't know if it's been posted, but the controls are

abc
d e

a= light slash, b= med. slash, c= hard slash, d=kick, e=movement

edit: Couldn't hear the music at all :(

krakov

Armored Scrum Object
Vids look great, I didn't even notice the lack of blood. They managed to make it feel very natural anyway imho.

The music is defenitely of AST-quality. There are even vocals in one of the tracks portrayed. I really liked the music and imo it doesn't remind much of the previous games.

Really looking forward to this, i need an AW-board :/

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
Suddenly to go from a few AW games to own.....and then suddenly i get hit with NGBC, Hokuto No Ken, SS6, MS6 & KOFXI :)

Now thats a list worth owning :D

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
I bookmarked the Match vids page.
But, what is used to play an *.izh file format? I've never seen it before.

EvilMike

Guerilla Warrior
20 Year Member
krakov said:
The music is defenitely of AST-quality.

ehehehe ForevorSublime you even posted correct use of the terms in this very thread and it is still mis used. :make_fac:

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Sp0o/\/?! said:
Thats fucking awesome news Beezle. Glad to hear it didnt suck.

I still say Kim Kaphwan and Kuroko are gonna be the 2 hidden characters.

Kim as a hidden character would be so old-school.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Magnaflux said:
Kim as a hidden character would be so old-school.

They said it was gonna be from another SNK franchise....and you could see the motherfucker sliding around in Hanzo's stage in SS2, why the fuck not?

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
Kim could also be spotted on Seiger's stage.

As for the vids, I like the voice acting and the way they have given the characters quite a lot of dialogue.

The music seems OK, but I am not sure about that enka track on the snow stage...

I don't like the backgrounds one bit, but if the gameplay is good you don't notice them anyway so not the end of the world.

Doesn't have the excellent atmosphere of Samurai 2 or 3....

I went to try and find it tonight, but neither of the places I play NGBC had it. Seems clear that the release schedule is going affect the performance of this title considerably...

Last edited:

Hmkay

Sakura's Bank Manager
KagerouSama said:
I bookmarked the Match vids page.
But, what is used to play an *.izh file format? I've never seen it before.
That's lzh, a compression format. Winrar can decompress that.

And I think the backgrounds are alright... It seems like there are only 10 of them though, and no day and night versions or anything.
Anyway, they didn't update Gedo one bit, his animation is the same... So I guess that means everyone else like Sankuro, Gaoh and stuff haven't evolved much, look-wise.

Here's some more quick sprite analysis from me, for all 6 returning characters...

Wan-Fu: Redone.
Sieger: Redone.
Cham Cham: Unsure, either redone or heavily edited SS2 sprite.
Earthquake: Edited SS2 sprite. (from the only one old screen we saw)
Gen-An: Edited SS2 sprite. (one of today's new screens at the SS Tenka site confirmed this)
Nicotine: Basically SS2 self, or very lightly edited.

krakov

Armored Scrum Object
EvilMike said:
ehehehe ForevorSublime you even posted correct use of the terms in this very thread and it is still mis used. :make_fac:

roffles, I can´t remember when I said that the music was arranged? any person with half a brain would understand that i meant the music is reminiscent of what you would expect from you usual SNK-AST.

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
Capt. Takehiko said:
Love your work beelzebubble. A Gaira report would be grand. :D

ive never used gaira though ive watched one of the ko hatsu crew (an arcade that specializes in samsho games and has a group of top level players who also gather at monte where i play once or twice a week) fiend regularly with him, speaking of which he fiended me with him last night.

has this shoulder butt/charge move, not sure if its a special or a normal, anyways he meaties it on you (just as you wake up) constantly and it seems if you block it on wakeup he can then grab you with that fucked up half your bar command throw :( he also has heaps of other options after it, basically it confused the hell out of me... its either a new move or one that didnt work quite so well in 5/5spc.

the game feels quite different from the last 2 ss's. crossups and combos are easier to do, iroha is a combo machine, hao can crossup his j.HS!! (then combo it into a s.MS).

andrew is pretty cool, nice moves though his dp seems pretty nerfed/ineffective and leaves him very open. he looks cool though and has nice games after his LS version of his fireball. his gunshoot super is sweet as well.

saw a guy do quite well with earthquake who has crazy moves not listed, i need to get to a quite arcade to try this shit out, the 2 back to backs in monte are chock full of good players day and night which sucks at first :(

wan fu is totally a new sprite and seems pretty crippled to me... he might have unlisted moves though and im just making an early call after one play of him.

iroha is popular for fiending at this point as is yumeji (seems too good!).

more tomorrow.

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
Fran said:
by the way,
whatever happened to ko hatsu and their ss match videos?

all i can find nowadays is rumble fish 2
i like garnet,but game's not my cup of tea

http://www.ko-hatsu.com/

http://www.ko-hatsu.com/event/trf2ew1_end.htm

about tenka,i'm downloading the other videos now

i have a good feeling about this new chapter

dont know about the vids man... they still have heaps of samsho shit going on down there though.

Abster

Dodgeball Yakuza
From looking at the videos, characters look cool, but gameplay just isn't there.

H

hermegildo

Abster said:
From looking at the videos, characters look cool, but gameplay just isn't there.
How can you talk about gameplay from looking at videos?

:spock:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Abster said:
Please elaborate. I'm curious as to what aspects of gameplay you think are absent, based only from watching the videos.

OR

Is "gameplay" just a buzzword you use, that you don't really know the meaning of?

Gameplay-wise, what do you see is missing there?

Abster

Dodgeball Yakuza
Lets see...

There's absolutely NO pausetime when a weaker move hits. SS4-5 had at least a few ticks of pausetime for each move that hits.

No red flash when a move hits.

SS5 style guard crushes (grab, push, hit to knock em down)

Ochamaru and Iroha look to be very combo orientated, and that's not even in the SS4 spirit. Ochamaru especially looks to be able to chain her regular moves.

H

hermegildo

No red flash when a move hits.
This has nothing to do with gameplay.

The rest of the stuff is so superficial that I don't understand how you can just say the 'gameplay isn't there', without having played it no less.

You're just pissed because the game has no blood. :kekeke:

Abster

Dodgeball Yakuza
Read my post again. The fact the characters in the game can't feel pain isnt the only reason why the gameplay is lost. Ochamaru is a combo machine. SS is NOT made for combos!

H

hermegildo

Abster said:
Read my post again. The fact the characters in the game can't feel pain isnt the only reason why the gameplay is lost. Ochamaru is a combo machine. SS is NOT made for combos!
Oh noes! 2-3 characters out of 40+ play differently than the rest! Teh gameplay is lost.

:oh_no:

And lo-fucking-l at video game characters feeling pain.

I'll stop now, this is a good and useful thread and I don't want to derail it.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Man, I finally downloaded that shit.

The happy atmosphere with the tacky MvCish music was a bit of a downer.....

BUT, what I saw in the matches was several fighting modes with close matches that lasted more than 3 hits or 5 seconds. Bravo.

Abster, I don't know about you..... but if I remember correctly, SNK experimented/tweaked/improved/fucked up a good many things on their way to this title.....they've come a long way and I will concede that they still have a long way to go ....

But I am a Samurai Shodown fan; so if they change some things here and there, I make that shit work for me, or I dont play it at all(if its really bad). Plain and simple.

The game looked really nice, btw.

Last edited: