PS4 Slim and Pro

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I was going to say...hasn't it been proven that the PS4 handles games better than the Xbone? I've seen plenty of side by side where the PS4 will display cleaner graphics at a higher frame rate when comparing identical games.

Again...correct me I'm wrong, I literally have a limited pool of data here.
Digital Foundry has documented it well. The only games that are superior on Xbox One are Assassin's Creed Unity (CPU heavy, and inferior cutscenes), Strider (anti-aliasing not implemented on PS4) and The Crew (Xbox One was the lead platform and the development team is more familiar with the hardware).

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner
Listen guys - the fact that the PS4 Pro is a disappointment is not a surprise because frankly the PS4 has been a disappointment right from the start...at least in relation to the Xbone.

I don't care what early sales numbers show about how much the PS4 outsold the Xbone because quite frankly the Xbone has provided me with infinitely more entertainment than my PS4. So has the Wii U. PS4 exclusives do not compare. I mean the Forza games, Killer Instinct, Halo 5, Tomb Raider, Ori, Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive. And plenty of good stuff on the way with the new Horizon, Gears 4, and Cuphead.

I mean even if you look at Sony's and Microsoft flagship series Uncharted and Gears....uncharted does not compare - not even close. And all the hyped games were disappointments overall...Driveclub? No Man's Sky? Street Fighter 5?

I mean really, who gives a shot about Infamous or Killzone anymore? And don't tell me Until Dawn is a system seller...

No one should be surprised at Sony' suckiness - they sucked for a while now. I generally buy consoles at or near launch coz I like new toys and I understand things are usually slow to take off...so it usually doesn't bug me. But i've never regretted an early console purchase more than the ps4. Seriously.

If anything this console generation is a case study in the importance of managing your image to your consumer base. Microsoft made some missteps early on which led to the absolute dominance of ps4 sales...the lemmings liked what Sony had to say and let the competition know that with their dollars...but the Xbone had been the better offering all along. I am sure that has been a valuable lesson learned by Microsoft.

Yeah the console with zero japanese games is better lolmao. PS4 has more and better exclusives than XBox 1 and Wii U (imo), it gets constant third party support from japan like Digimon Cyberstory Sleuth, Nights of Azure, Atelier Sophie, King of Fighters 14 to name a few.

Driveclub has the best graphics in a racing game ever made

Street Fighter 5 has the best graphics for fighting game ever made until Tekken 7 comes out but that is 3D.

Uncharted 4 has the best graphics ever made.

Bloodborne is the best game ever made imo.

How is the Pro a fail it is 3 times more powerful than the Xbox One S which is also weaker in performance than the PS4? This means more eye candy for multi-plats to come and its only a hundred dollars more than the S

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
How is the Pro a fail it is 3 times more powerful than the Xbox One S which is also weaker in performance than the PS4? This means more eye candy for multi-plats to come and its only a hundred dollars more than the S

It's 3x more powerful on paper. Did you see 3x more powerful in those previews? I saw a little bit more detail in the lighting. That's about it. Could games in the future be better optimized for the Pro? Probably, but I would think that devs had plenty of time to prep tech demos. It sounds like they had full knowledge of the Pro since the first few months of the year. If this is all they had to show, it's probably not worth $400.

That said, I think the one thing it has going for it is the price. I'd be very hesitant to drop $400 on a console this far into the generation, but in relation to the base price of $300, it's a pretty modest markup. $250 would be the sweet spot for the slim IMO, and I think $350 would be reasonable for the Pro.

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner
No 4K blu-ray support, no buy
PS4 Pro is just a 1.01 upgrade :(

yeah and being over two times more powerful.

Personally i dont care about 4K BlueRay as i am not into movies anymore, i rather have it lacking and being offered for 400 bucks than 500.

Hell with 4k and screw the PS4. I play my ps3. Free online. Done. New gen is so not worth all the drama.. Sony is doing this because they are king now and can get away with this stupid shit. Just stop paying for it. I mean it's at a point to where you might as well just go full PC gaming to avoid this idiocy. You're doing the same thing now with consoles involving all these upgrades. PS3 was WAY better then the PS4 also. PS4 is a let down by comparison.
These consoles are just wannabe PC's now. Its like paying PC prices for stuff that is trying to be PC. I am currently playing borderlands 2 on my ps3 for free online with my girlfriend and having fun there.

And? So did older consoles like the PC Engine CD, Sega Mega CD and 32x, N64 and Saturn ram carts. Or the Neo geo using more roms with each game.
Funny how all these systems are loved for these upgrades in forums like these?

Its also not the same you can always trade in your older PS4 with the controller for at least 150 bucks so thats only like 250 bucks you have to spend on the Pro. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me for getting over twice the power and the storage over the original.

Free online is great but i still prefer having my Discs they will last longer than any of these online services

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner
It's 3x more powerful on paper. Did you see 3x more powerful in those previews? I saw a little bit more detail in the lighting. That's about it. Could games in the future be better optimized for the Pro? Probably, but I would think that devs had plenty of time to prep tech demos. It sounds like they had full knowledge of the Pro since the first few months of the year. If this is all they had to show, it's probably not worth $400.

That said, I think the one thing it has going for it is the price. I'd be very hesitant to drop $400 on a console this far into the generation, but in relation to the base price of $300, it's a pretty modest markup. $250 would be the sweet spot for the slim IMO, and I think $350 would be reasonable for the Pro.

yes it is

PS4 Pro 4.2TF > PS4 1.89TF > Xbox One S 1.4TF > Xbox One 1.31

if you think trying to render in 4K is easy enough to have performance left over then look below

resolution.png

PS4 pro rendered around 1440p to 1800p which is then upscaleld to 4K and it had some improvements like the lighting and HDR. Of course you cant notice a difference without having uncompressed 4K footage on a 4K TV

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Again, specs on paper are not representative of reality. I'd love for you to be right but I just don't see any proof that these specs will be fully utilized.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Yeah the console with zero japanese games is better lolmao. PS4 has more and better exclusives than XBox 1 and Wii U (imo), it gets constant third party support from japan like Digimon Cyberstory Sleuth, Nights of Azure, Atelier Sophie, King of Fighters 14 to name a few.

Driveclub has the best graphics in a racing game ever made

Street Fighter 5 has the best graphics for fighting game ever made until Tekken 7 comes out but that is 3D.

Uncharted 4 has the best graphics ever made.

Bloodborne is the best game ever made imo.

Why are you just talking about graphics? I own Driveclub and it is pretty, but I have not played it since it Forza 6 came out.

Same w/ SF5. I was super hyped for Street Fighter 5 before it came out - when it was released, I bought it, I played it, I got over my initial disappointment with the bare-bone offering and had some fun...and then I got bored with it went back to playing Killer Instinct (and occasionally MKX). Haven't touch SF5 since...

yes it is

PS4 Pro 4.2TF > PS4 1.89TF > Xbox One S 1.4TF > Xbox One 1.31

if you think trying to render in 4K is easy enough to have performance left over then look below

resolution.png

PS4 pro rendered around 1440p to 1800p which is then upscaleld to 4K and it had some improvements like the lighting and HDR. Of course you cant notice a difference without having uncompressed 4K footage on a 4K TV

Blah. Prolly just me, but I prefer playing fun games more than looking at charts.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
i am a sony fanboy and these things piss me off to no end.

also- driveclub is hot garbage.

You should be pissed off, you have every right to be. I was talking about his conjecture-laden "Sony is the best evar" post. True fans admit when their "team" missteps and sticks with them. And gets pissed off when they make incredibly stupid mistakes.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
i'm sitting on a pretty spiffy tv that will not have 4k gameplay for quite some time because of this.

all sony had to do was match microsoft on the pro model. they could have skipped the slim and no one would have really cared as long as one of them had it.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
i'm sitting on a pretty spiffy tv that will not have 4k gameplay for quite some time because of this.

all sony had to do was match microsoft on the pro model. they could have skipped the slim and no one would have really cared as long as one of them had it.

Bingo. Again, as I said before, Sony knew about the X1 S, but when MS announced that the Scorpio was In the works it must have completely blind sided Sony. And with the Pro console already in production, Sony knew it would be a lack luster launch. I speculate that a UHD drive was cut from the pro to keep prices low. After all, that the only way they can compete with the impending storm thats coming next year.

And in doing that, they SHREDDED any desire their user base had to get one.

Last edited:

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I left PC gaming because I looked forward to the sensible way console gaming generations were. Now, after seeing what is being offered, I am going back to PC gaming. This mid-generation crap is stupid and does not belong in the console arena. Just my 2 cents.

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner
You should be pissed off, you have every right to be. I was talking about his conjecture-laden "Sony is the best evar" post. True fans admit when their "team" missteps and sticks with them. And gets pissed off when they make incredibly stupid mistakes.

console which is 3 times more powerful than the competition offered for only 399 (only 100 more than the competition) is a mistake?

Maybe gamers are the mistake here?

Last edited:

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
To say a system is better than the other due to exclusives is an endless debate. PS4 predominately has better graphics but sufferes from inconsistent frame rates. Are the graphics that much better, sometimes yes sometimes no. XB1 typically has a more consistent frame rates primarily because devs choose to lock in the frame rate at a lower native rendering resolution and then upscale to 1080p.

PC still takes a fat dump on both in graphics and frame rate. The biggest thing you'll notice about pc gaming is the base texture quality before all of the pretty additional graphical features.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
console which is 3 times more powerful than the competition offered for only 399 (only 100 more than the competition) is a mistake?

Maybe gamers are the mistake here?

Okay, okay. I think stating it is three times more powerful is overstating things. I would say it is more like two times more powerful. Remember, it is still using AMD Polaris architecture.

GAMEFAN

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I dont have a PS4, but planned on waiting out this generation until the end where games and systems would be cheap and plentiful. The thing is we need to see media and games that utilize the additional power to do things that the stand alone PS4 struggles with. Similar to the games exclusive to the new 3DS, or even the additional features that the N64 Expansion Pak had for Star Wars, we need to see the implementation of the tech moreso than the paper specs of the tech itself.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Well, System Software 4.00 is out right now. Guess what, direct PS4 data transfer to another PS4 is an option now. No more back-up and restore with an external HDD is needed. I think it just does it through your LAN. So, this is good news.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
On a slightly off topic, I don't understand why PC gaming keeps coming into this discussion. It really isn't the same thing as console gaming and never has been. Not everyone has the time/money to mess with a gaming rig, and even more want to game in their living room (by "living room" I mean something a married guy's wife has...not a nerd cave).

PC gaming will always be better than console gaming...but the same can be said for having a custom built hot rod over a factory sports car. If you're willing to drop more $$ and time on the custom built car...knock yourself out. For everyone else, they like the convenience of a factory car and a warranty.