PS4 Slim and Pro

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Thes mid-gen consoles just make no since to me. Seems like console gaming is a thing to avoid having to upgrade stuff like a PC every 3 to 4 years. Not impressed with the pro, I'll stick with my ps4, and see no reason to buy a xb1 as most of the games are on PC

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Well, the PS4 Pro is disappointing. It's essentially simply ticking up the graphics settings on a PC game from high to ultra. No 4K Blu Ray, either. Total meh.

If I wasn't dropping humongous coin on my next PC in less than a month, I'd consider getting an old PS4 fatty and skipping the Pro just so I could finally play the new KOF and maybe also get Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator before it comes out on PC.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I really hate the idea of these half step generation consoles. I truly hope they don't sell, as I'm afraid that is going to set the new standard.
Seriously though, No longer than either system has been out there the whole concept seems like it was a planed cash grab. Maybe this is the last real generation for console systems, and they are just trying to milk it for all it's worth. I don't really know but no matter how you turn it, I don't like it.

I really feel like it's time to dump the consoles an just move to pc gaming for new stuff. Though I don't even play enough new games to make that worth the effort either. As it stands now, there isn't a game I want to buy and play on any current system, and it's not because I own a bunch of games. I own like 4 and don't like half of those, out of the other two I'm tired of one and haven't felt like even opening the other to even play it.

For me this has been by far the most shitty console generation, and I don't see anything coming that makes it look like it is going to improve.

buru5

War Room Troll
I really feel like it's time to dump the consoles an just move to pc gaming for new stuff. Though I don't even play enough new games to make that worth the effort either.

There's never been a better time to jump into PC gaming. It's beneficial not only for new games, but for playing older games as well. Modern consoles are just gloried PCs with manufacturer imposed limitations anyways, and a lot of games are getting PC ports these days. I expect KoF14 will probably get a PC port eventually as well.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Sony and MS can market these however they like, but I still think Scorpio represents a new console generation, not a mid-generation refresh. The underpowered PS4 Pro will be forced to compete with it unless Sony comes up with another new console in maybe 2018. It may be fine if the PS4 brand remains strong.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
To me the console market is being very deceiving with how they are marketing these new 4K consoles. Everyone knows that the old games will be scaled up to 4K resolution. I cannot see how Sony or Microsoft can afford to sell a true 4K gaming experience for the speculative $500-$600, much less $399.99. I understand in all fairness, they are going for 4K 30fps, but even still.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Digital Foundry reported a very key point that no one seems to be talking about: PS4 Pro runs with different optimization settings if the system is set to output 1080p. This means that framerates and details could be superior in 1080p compared to the 4K output mode. 1080p TV owners will see a benefit from the PS4 Pro.

Sony will have to decide if they want to market the console to 1080p owners or if they will keep pushing people to upgrade to 4K.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Pro Gamers don't watch movies on their game system, they play games.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Digital Foundry reported a very key point that no one seems to be talking about: PS4 Pro runs with different optimization settings if the system is set to output 1080p. This means that framerates and details could be superior in 1080p compared to the 4K output mode. 1080p TV owners will see a benefit from the PS4 Pro.

Sony will have to decide if they want to market the console to 1080p owners or if they will keep pushing people to upgrade to 4K.

Problem is 4K or 4K UHD TV not very popular and PC games have better graphics than console games ...............

buru5

War Room Troll
Problem is 4K or 4K UHD TV not very popular and PC games have better graphics than console games ...............

This is a good point, another thing I was thinking about is that most people who already have 4K monitors/tvs are already PC gamers, and most of the PC playerbase is staunchly anti-console (not all, of course). If you don't have a 4K monitor you'd have to purchase one on top of the new Ps4, which would be $1k+, much more if you want a 4K tv that's actually worth it.

The PS4 was already only a small improvement on the PS3, they should have waited and released the PS4 with this natively or at least included it in a bundle with a 4K Sony TV.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
Its almost as if this is an incredibly public admission by Sony that they know they're FUCKED in a year.

They called down the thunder, and Microsoft better deliver.

Last edited:

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Listen guys - the fact that the PS4 Pro is a disappointment is not a surprise because frankly the PS4 has been a disappointment right from the start...at least in relation to the Xbone.

I don't care what early sales numbers show about how much the PS4 outsold the Xbone because quite frankly the Xbone has provided me with infinitely more entertainment than my PS4. So has the Wii U. PS4 exclusives do not compare. I mean the Forza games, Killer Instinct, Halo 5, Tomb Raider, Ori, Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive. And plenty of good stuff on the way with the new Horizon, Gears 4, and Cuphead.

I mean even if you look at Sony's and Microsoft flagship series Uncharted and Gears....uncharted does not compare - not even close. And all the hyped games were disappointments overall...Driveclub? No Man's Sky? Street Fighter 5?

I mean really, who gives a shot about Infamous or Killzone anymore? And don't tell me Until Dawn is a system seller...

No one should be surprised at Sony' suckiness - they sucked for a while now. I generally buy consoles at or near launch coz I like new toys and I understand things are usually slow to take off...so it usually doesn't bug me. But i've never regretted an early console purchase more than the ps4. Seriously.

If anything this console generation is a case study in the importance of managing your image to your consumer base. Microsoft made some missteps early on which led to the absolute dominance of ps4 sales...the lemmings liked what Sony had to say and let the competition know that with their dollars...but the Xbone had been the better offering all along. I am sure that has been a valuable lesson learned by Microsoft.

Last edited:

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
All I know is that even with the time Microsoft has to complete their new console for 2017, there is no way it can be a "true" 4K console for $500.00-$600.00. The one concern I have is that if the PS4P sells well, then this will be a sign for Microsoft to also think about skipping a UHD BD player in their upcoming console to keep cost down.

In the end, there could really be two versions of Scorpio, one with 4K UHD and one without.

Only time will tell how well PS4P sells and what Microsoft plans to do.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Hell with 4k and screw the PS4. I play my ps3. Free online. Done. New gen is so not worth all the drama.. Sony is doing this because they are king now and can get away with this stupid shit. Just stop paying for it. I mean it's at a point to where you might as well just go full PC gaming to avoid this idiocy. You're doing the same thing now with consoles involving all these upgrades. PS3 was WAY better then the PS4 also. PS4 is a let down by comparison.
These consoles are just wannabe PC's now. Its like paying PC prices for stuff that is trying to be PC. I am currently playing borderlands 2 on my ps3 for free online with my girlfriend and having fun there.

Last edited:

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Neo Moe just posted maybe the dumbest shit I've read in a long time. You praised the GAMES on Xbox and shit on the games of ps4? That's adorable. You named the games that didn't do well on ps4 and have the balls through praise the SHIT ones from Xbox? Wow dude.

I'm glad you're happy with your shit collection of games, but keep that shit to yourself.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
you do not understand the power of neo_moe.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Neo Moe just posted maybe the dumbest shit I've read in a long time. You praised the GAMES on Xbox and shit on the games of ps4? That's adorable. You named the games that didn't do well on ps4 and have the balls through praise the SHIT ones from Xbox? Wow dude.

I'm glad you're happy with your shit collection of games, but keep that shit to yourself.

We're on a video game forum but I am expected to keep my opinion of video games to myself? With the exception of Uncharted 4, I own (or owned) every game I mentioned in my post, so I can speak to my experience first hand. PS4 sucks bro.

Also, Xbone controller is better as well. Just sayin...

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I was going to say...hasn't it been proven that the PS4 handles games better than the Xbone? I've seen plenty of side by side where the PS4 will display cleaner graphics at a higher frame rate when comparing identical games.

Again...correct me I'm wrong, I literally have a limited pool of data here.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
I was going to say...hasn't it been proven that the PS4 handles games better than the Xbone? I've seen plenty of side by side where the PS4 will display cleaner graphics at a higher frame rate when comparing identical games.

Digital Foundry on You tube is the biggest supporter of this. But many reports are coming out that the XBOX one S runs games at a higher frame than the OG model. I have both models and I can see the difference on a 1080p plasma.

There is no sense the PS4 doesn't have a UHD bluray drive and I thought Sony actually owned a part of the Bluray patent.

https://www.youtube.com/user/DigitalFoundry

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member

Smokehouse - No, you are correct Sir! Almost EVERY games that comes out on PS4/XB1 runs and looks better on the PS4. This coming from someone who owns both consoles.

Again, neo-moe is entitled to his opinion.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
It costs $15 for MS to put a UHD drive in the Xbone S. It would cost Sony $5 because they own the tech. Leaving that out is just plain bullshit.

That said, I think I'm getting to the point where I can justify buying a PS4. Here's what I'm looking at:

• Battle Garegga
• Dangun Feveron
• Fallout 4
• Odin Sphere
• Gravity Rush 1 & 2
• Bloodborne
• Dark Souls 3
• Deus Ex 4
• Street Fighter V
• Bound
• Transformers Devastation
• Uncharted 4

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
It costs $15 for MS to put a UHD drive in the Xbone S. It would cost Sony $5 because they own the tech. Leaving that out is just plain bullshit.

That said, I think I'm getting to the point where I can justify buying a PS4. Here's what I'm looking at:

• Battle Garegga
• Dangun Feveron
• Fallout 4
• Odin Sphere
• Gravity Rush 1 & 2
• Bloodborne
• Dark Souls 3
• Deus Ex 4
• Street Fighter V
• Bound
• Transformers Devastation
• Uncharted 4

Let me know if you are interested in one. I would gladly sell you mine with about 14 games and a 2TB drive as well. It's the Uncharted 4 model with box, stand and all paperwork.

GAMEFAN

neo_mao

15 Year Member

I think it varies game by game. PS4 definitely had the better version of Witcher. I think Xbone had the "better" Fallout 4. I've owned Evolve on both (lol), and I think the Xbone version as better.

And in some cases I am sure it is splitting hairs. I'm playing on a fairly large 4K tv and have never found the performance of the Xbone (or Ps4) to be unbearable or detracting from the enjoyment of a game.

My gripe with the ps4 is definitely not with performance, it's that I personally don't find the exclusives to be compelling. Order 1886 was another letdown.

And for the cross platform games it's a toss up - but in the instances where the ps4 has the better version (like Witcher), I don't think the difference is material enough where I would have felt shafted if I was stuck with the Xbone version. Metal Gear is another example - I have the Ps4 version but don't think I'd be much worse off if I only had the option but the Xbone one.

Basically I am saying I could have very easily lived without the ps4 and not missed anything super special (Bloodborne being the notable exception). But the Xbone has provided me with some of my favorite games ever so far.

And that what it comes down to - the games.

Last edited: