PS4 Slim and Pro

Caliburn89

Kabuki Klasher
Yeah looks ugly, and not much smaller either. The OG PS4 has a really nice look to it.

PS3 Slim looked a lot better than the launch model. PS1/PS2 Slim was tiny compared to the original. This just seems totally mediocre.

Kind of makes me wonder what the Neo is going to look like.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
In retrospect of this generation. The XB1 was way under-powered but if Scorpio holds up to MS's checklist the XB brand could gain some 2nd half footing in the overall race. Sony's move here could definitely help push the XB platform to the forefront and give the Win10/XB game ecosystem a walk away win in the next 2 years.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
What a piece of utter shit.

edit: seriously, given that a firmware update is going to enable HDR on older PS4s, too, this is even more useless. It won't run true 4K much if at all. I don't get it- it's like Sony is too comfortable with its lead and then also thinks putting everything into VR is the winning strategy.

Last edited:

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Surprised they didn't throw in a 4k Blu-ray drive. Doesn't the new Xbone have one?

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Surprised they didn't throw in a 4k Blu-ray drive. Doesn't the new Xbone have one?

Yup. 2005 era Sony is back in action. I'm surprised this thing still plays games.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I preordered a PS4 Pro...but only because I have a relative that wants a PS4 and I'm going to sell them my original PS4.

Castor Troy

The Esfinter that theMot Chupame's
In retrospect of this generation. The XB1 was way under-powered but if Scorpio holds up to MS's checklist the XB brand could gain some 2nd half footing in the overall race. Sony's move here could definitely help push the XB platform to the forefront and give the Win10/XB game ecosystem a walk away win in the next 2 years.

When it comes to the consoles, I think it's too late for MS to compete with Sony. Like, why bother in investing in a newer system when most of MS' games will also be on PC.
As far as Sony's new system, why bother getting it if it won't play 4K BR? Maybe they see people shifting from physical to digital media. Then it would make some sense.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Given the pricing, Im hoping the PSph4t goes on clearance for $200 or so.
Same here. I don't have a 4K display anyway... so I see 0 reason to bother with a pro. Hopefully these new models will also lead to the prices for used systems to go down some, too.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I no longer see the point of this "mid-gen" upgrade. I have a 4K display and still will not upgrade to a PS4 Pro. The games I saw in 4K on YouTube looked okay, but not enough to invest in another console. While I do like the price point, not enough has changed to warrant another console expense.

Now to wait and see what MS is selling next year. Does anyone else feel like this is not the same console they were eluding to earlier this year. Like there will still be a true upgrade at a later date?

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
My current PS4 has upgraded 2TB harddrive and tons of DLCs for US/JPN/Asia PSN accounts. There is no fucking way for me to buy PS4 Pro, re-download those DLCs and so forth.
It's time wasting. I think I will just wait awhile and see if sony will re-release a super slim PS4 Pro and then I'll think about upgrade my PS4.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
That slim is so plain looking. But honestly, i will just buy whichever one I can get the best deal on. Guess latest version of the OG vs the slim.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
My current PS4 has upgraded 2TB harddrive and tons of DLCs for US/JPN/Asia PSN accounts. There is no fucking way for me to buy PS4 Pro, re-download those DLCs and so forth.
It's time wasting. I think I will just wait awhile and see if sony will re-release a super slim PS4 Pro and then I'll think about upgrade my PS4.

This is what I did to my Uncharted PS4 once I purchased it. Not really interested in buying another PS4.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Yup. You got it.

Given the pricing, Im hoping the PSph4t goes on clearance for $200 or so.

Same here.

Both of you...and me...and everyone else. If they mark down current PS4's they will fly off the shelves.

I'll say it again...this is a HIGHLY disappointing move on Sony's part. I first want a 4K BR player, I second want the occasional game that my tickle my fancy. I was in the same boat back with standard BR and landed up with the PS3. I refuse to buy anything Microsoft so because that is off the table, I'll probably pick up a stand alone 4K player and Sony can simply eat it.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
This is what I did to my Uncharted PS4 once I purchased it. Not really interested in buying another PS4.

Main issue is that nowadays you have to download those mega size DLCs, updates, digital games, etc and there is no way for me to spend hours for reinstallment.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert

Good thing is that you can completely back-up and restore to another console using an external HDD. The downside is while it is doing the the restore process it can take an entire day if you are using 2TB worth of data. I had 400GB of data to back-up onto a 1TB Seagate SSHD and the entire process took me 5-6 hours if I remember right. You can always check and uncheck which games you have installed. This way you can uncheck games you have on disk and have 100MB-2GB patches/dlc I guess. I take it you can't just swap out the HDDs with different consoles and start it up?

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Can't you guys just swap the HDDs?

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I don't think so as if it is going into a new PS4, it will have you initialize the drive.

glazball

Pleasure Goal
10 Year Member
I'll say it again...this is a HIGHLY disappointing move on Sony's part. I first want a 4K BR player, I second want the occasional game that my tickle my fancy. I was in the same boat back with standard BR and landed up with the PS3. I refuse to buy anything Microsoft so because that is off the table, I'll probably pick up a stand alone 4K player and Sony can simply eat it.

Are we totally sure that the Pro won't play 4K BDs? If not out of the box, but perhaps later with an update? If that is indeed true, that's pretty shitty. I'm with you in that I won't buy a MS product either, so I guess I'll just have to wait for the PS5 for 4K BDs and true 4K gaming.

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
Are we totally sure that the Pro won't play 4K BDs? If not out of the box, but perhaps later with an update? If that is indeed true, that's pretty shitty. I'm with you in that I won't buy a MS product either, so I guess I'll just have to wait for the PS5 for 4K BDs and true 4K gaming.

I believe it has to do with the actual drive in the system itself, not just the firm/software that's doing the playback.

I was really interested in the PS4 Pro. I may still get one but the lack of UHD drive is a turn off since I am planning on getting a newer 4K TV as well.