Obama-McCain '08: ENDGAME (President Obama edition)

aria

Former Moderator
The old thread was getting way too long, especially with all the primary stuff at the beginning --it was hard for new people to really get into. Therefore I'm starting a new one.

The timing seems right: Obama is scheduled to pick his VP tomorrow; McCain will no doubt follow suit soon; the DNC is in Denver next week; the RNC the following week. From there we're in the final phase.

So, kicking off:

Who will Obama or McCain pick as their VP?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Who will Obama or McCain pick as their VP?

Good question...I guess Obama's going to announce his this weekend? They said he'll do it in Illinois so I'll keep my eyes peeled.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I think we can naturally eliminate Hillary and John Edwards as potentials...I'd be doing back flips if he picked Bill Clinton, but that wouldn't happen.

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
nope. Bill is the fucking man.
I agree with you, but with all of the blown-out-of-proportion racial and economic snides he's made within the last year or so coupled with Obama's appeal to minorities, it would be political suicide for him to pick The Bill.

WeinerDogSunglasses

Ghost of Captain Kidd
15 Year Member
It will likely be Biden, which is good since we need a shot in the arm concerning foreign relations

striderpunk

Member # 6311,
It will likely be Biden, which is good since we need a shot in the arm concerning foreign relations

really, I think Biden will be more of a liability than a help, the man can't keep his mouth shut.

And its not like Obama thinks that Iran is training Al Qaeda and Czechoslovakia still exists.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
It's official:
Biden is Obama's man

I think that's great news for McCain. Biden has repeatedly called for US military action in Sudan and has accused Obama of not being ready for the presidency on multiple occasions. And doesn't the fact that Biden has been in the Senate for 36 years make him a dreaded "Washington politician"?

I think McCain should pick Bobby Jindal, even though he won't. Here's why I think he should pick him:

1. Jindal is a Governor. He'd be the only one of the four on the tickets with any Head Executive experience. A Senator/Senator ticket does not balance, and people care about that whether it's a legitimate concern or not.

2. He is very conservative, but he's not so in a "Mike Huckabee, scares the crap out of moderates kind of way". He'll help attract the scorned conservatives without scaring off McCain's strong independent and moderate support.

3. He is a minority. Being an Indian-American, he might help distract from the "first black president" hype.

4. He contrasts McCain in that he is very young, but he's also got a fair amount of experience. He wouldn't undermind McCain's message that Obama is too inexperienced.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
really, I think Biden will be more of a liability than a help, the man can't keep his mouth shut.

And its not like Obama thinks that Iran is training Al Qaeda and Czechoslovakia still exists.

I think Biden will be a fine pick. He can do the dirty work that Obama himself cannot indulge in. He had arguably the best quip of the primaries, concerning Rudy Giuliani.

"Everything Rudy says consists of a verb, a noun, and 9/11."

McCain does the same shit, except it's a verb, a noun, and "Hey I was a POW."
That's great. You got captured. You also graduated 894 out of 899 at the Naval Academy.
Not only are you a dumbass, but you're an aging dumbass who can't tell Shiite from Sunni and has a hair-trigger temper. And still thinks Czechoslovakia exists.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
If I was McCain:
I'd pick Pataki to be my VP.

If I was Obama:
I'd pick Bill Bradley

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
I would pick Bobby Jindal.

:rolleyes:

Careful what you wish for. Jindal was on a news show the other day, and was asked on the spot to name one legislative achievement of McCain's. He couldn't. I love how conservatives consistently ride the hell out of the "OMG NOBAMA IS INEXPERIENCED!" meme and then they reach for the pet Indian kid as their Great Brown Hope.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I would pick Bobby Jindal.

It would eliminate his advantage among democrat leaning closet racists.

:rolleyes:

Careful what you wish for. Jindal was on a news show the other day, and was asked on the spot to name one legislative achievement of McCain's. He couldn't. I love how conservatives consistently ride the hell out of the "OMG NOBAMA IS INEXPERIENCED!" meme and then they reach for the pet Indian kid as their Great Brown Hope.
Jesus... He couldn't even come up with McCain Feingold?

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Not only are you a dumbass, but you're an aging dumbass who can't tell Shiite from Sunni and has a hair-trigger temper. And still thinks Czechoslovakia exists.
Bringing up instances where they made simple mistakes in speech isn't a smart idea. Obama once said that there were 56 states and that his uncle liberated Auschwitz (which was liberated by the Red Army).

Base this on policy, and policy only.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Bringing up instances where they made simple mistakes in speech isn't a smart idea. Obama once said that there were 56 states and that his uncle liberated Auschwitz (which was liberated by the Red Army).

The infamous (among excitable wingnuts) "57 states" gaffe is a simple one.
As for the Auschwitz thing, his uncle actually liberated Dachau. Do you really think this compares with confusing Sunnis and Shiites when you're supposed to be this foreign policy deity who knows all the ins and outs of the war on terror? Or actually saying that Iran was training agents of Al-Qaeda, and needing Joe Lieberman to come running to your fucking rescue?

Sorry man. It doesn't compare. If you wanna equate routine verbal flubs with a fundamental lack of knowledge on the most pressing issues of our age because it allows you to be comfortable with your candidate, go for it.

Looking forward to the debates.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
After quickly reading the article it sounds like Biden will be a good contrast to Obama, which I like. Kucinich would have been a good choice too, but I'm just glad he didn't pick Hillary.

djdelly

Teh Mizzle
I like biden o lot and think he will be a good running mate for Obama

McCain is going to pick T-paw just wait.

Marek

Banned
Read this article with clips of Joe Biden being a total faggot throughout the years

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix/2008/08/the_case_against_joe_biden.html

Gotta say, this one really bothers me.

During the 2006 confirmation hearings for Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito, the Post's Dana Milbank wrote this of Biden's performance:

"Sen. Joseph R. Biden Jr., in his first 12 minutes of questioning the nominee, managed to get off only one question. Instead, during his 30-minute round of questioning, Biden spoke about his own Irish American roots, his "Grandfather Finnegan," his son's application to Princeton (he attended the University of Pennsylvania instead, Biden said), a speech the senator gave on the Princeton campus, the fact that Biden is "not a Princeton fan," and his views on the eyeglasses of Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.)."

Marek

Banned

lol

I would love to be as ignorant and petty as you. Life sure would be less cathartic.

“My friends, the Iraqis have divided themselves into these two groups for one reason and one reason only,” Sen. McCain told an audience in a retirement village in Scottsdale, Arizona. “They are trying to confuse me.”

Sen. McCain said that although the two groups of Iraqis are “well-nigh impossible” to tell apart, he vowed to commit U.S. troops to Iraq “for as long as it takes for me to figure out just what the difference between Sunnis and Shiites is.”

“If it takes 100 years, 1,000 years, or a billion zillion years, we will stay there until I can tell Sunnis and Shiites apart,” the Arizona senator said.

Sen. McCain reserved his harshest words for the Shiites, who he said were trying to confuse him by sometimes referring to themselves as “Shiites” and other times as “Shia.”

“What’s that all about, anyway?” he asked. “Stop clowning around and call yourself one thing.”

Sen. McCain seemed alarmed when a reporter asked him whether he believed that the Kurds, the third major group in Iraq, were trying to confuse him as well.

“The Kurds?” he said. “Who the heck are they?”

Lashujin

Ghost of Captain Kidd
My friends, the Iraqis have divided themselves into these two groups for one reason and one reason only,” Sen. McCain told an audience in a retirement village in Scottsdale, Arizona. “They are trying to confuse me.”

Sen. McCain said that although the two groups of Iraqis are “well-nigh impossible” to tell apart, he vowed to commit U.S. troops to Iraq “for as long as it takes for me to figure out just what the difference between Sunnis and Shiites is.”

“If it takes 100 years, 1,000 years, or a billion zillion years, we will stay there until I can tell Sunnis and Shiites apart,” the Arizona senator said.

Sen. McCain reserved his harshest words for the Shiites, who he said were trying to confuse him by sometimes referring to themselves as “Shiites” and other times as “Shia.”

“What’s that all about, anyway?” he asked. “Stop clowning around and call yourself one thing.”

Sen. McCain seemed alarmed when a reporter asked him whether he believed that the Kurds, the third major group in Iraq, were trying to confuse him as well.

“The Kurds?” he said. “Who the heck are they?

Source for this? It sounds almost sarcastic.

McCain is going to pick Romney anyway because most conservatives don't like McCain because he is far too liberal.