Obama-McCain '08: ENDGAME (President Obama edition)

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I think the Nebraskan-02 vote was the big shocker...

? NORTH CAROLINA!? Bullshit, no way. All right, I'll believe Indiana --but North Carolina? Did western North Carolina secede or something?

The state has been going downhill ever since Galfordo Left.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
McCain won MO by 3,902 votes.

That is an astoundingly small margin even given that fact my state has only just over 5 million citizens (11 electoral votes).

Actually, I just looked at the statistics again - total votes for all candidates for the Presidency totaled: 2,925,197.

Thats a pretty good voter turnout.

And I thought the '04 election was close.

Well, i'm still 0 for 2 at voting for candidates who received my state's electoral votes.

I'm just glad people are voting and I hope MO is used to show that yes, your vote does count.

I think they even had to count the provisionals.

PS: Election doesn't happen until December 15 :emb:

aria

Former Moderator
I think the Nebraskan-02 vote was the big shocker...

I knew they were making a huge push for it, glad to see they got it. LOL, Nebraska contributed to the Obavalanche

Man, did the old way of thinking get turned on its head:

At the same time, Obama was the first Democratic nominee since Woodrow Wilson in 1916 to win the presidency without winning West Virginia. He was also the first to win the presidency without winning five or more states of the South. Additionally, as Missouri was ultimately called for McCain, this was the first time since 1956 that the state did not vote for the winner of the presidential race.

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
I knew they were making a huge push for it, glad to see they got it. LOL, Nebraska contributed to the Obavalanche

Man, did the old way of thinking get turned on its head:

A guy called into NPR's Talk of the Nation: Political Junkie segment to offer his own bellwether:

Everytime America was hit by an economic depression, Phillies won the World Series.

Ken Rudin then remarked that during every depression, a Republican won the White House.

So Obama broke yet another bellwether, that of a Democratic candidate winning the White House during an economic depression.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
Lots of things weren't counted in 2000.

True, and lots of scenarios weren't counted in September of 2001.

This September 11th comment made possible by: My father, the 70-something conservative who is unnecessarily worried about all sorts of shit.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
McCain won MO by 3,902 votes.

That is an astoundingly small margin even given that fact my state has only just over 5 million citizens (11 electoral votes).
Excuses, excuses. I'm with you though, I really thought Obama would and should win Missouri. Sometimes you just have to face it that you live in a red state.

striderpunk

Member # 6311,
Excuses, excuses. I'm with you though, I really thought Obama would and should win Missouri. Sometimes you just have to face it that you live in a red state.

Virginia? that argument does not hold water anymore, the national demographic is shifting. It is political suicide to just write states off in a national campaign (like Clinton and McCain did against Obama).

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Virginia? that argument does not hold water anymore, the national demographic is shifting. It is political suicide to just write states off in a national campaign (like Clinton and McCain did against Obama).
Face it, Virginians live in a Blue state now. We all have to get used to this new reality.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Virginia has always been a swing state waiting to happen.

Obama won because he actually campaigned in VA...

Look how close the previous elections were without campaigning:

2004: 11 points
2000: 8 points
1996: 2 points
1992: 4 ponts

J. Max

judas,
Meanwhile, Al Qaeda appears to have released a new tape denouncing Obama and saying Malcolm X was a better man --and implying that Obama was, as Malcolm X described, a "house negro"... Somehow I doubt Malcolm X would've agreed.

(alas, Al Qaeda's highly-anticipated mixtape is still MIA --they might as well have called it "Chinese Theocracy")

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7737710.stm (clip included)

That was a weird tape. I thought Al Quaeda didn't like the Nation of Islam (and didn't consider them real Muslims).

The best part is that all of those rednecks who wouldn't vote for Obama because of race are now forced to agree with Al Quaeda. Idiots.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

LOL

What are you even talking about homeslice?

I live in Missouri. I'd like to think I know whats up.

The election result is of no surprise to me frankly, but to say it couldn't have gone either way in MO is silly.

3,902 votes is a crazy small margin.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
This appeared on the HuffPo today, but good Lord its very Onion-y.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/billy-kimball/obamas-expected-to-have-s_b_145104.html
OBAMAS EXPECTED TO HAVE SEX IN THE WHITE HOUSE, INSIDERS SAY

In what is sure to be a controversial move, President-elect Barack Obama has indicated to his inner circle of advisors that he and his wife may have sex in the White House sometime during the four years of his first term in office.

"He's not saying they definitely will have sex," said an Obama confidante who declined to be named, "But he's not ruling it out. He's also not ruling out having sex more than once."

Although Mr. Obama himself is a regarded as something of a sex symbol, there has been surprisingly little speculation and rumor about the incoming First Couple's romantic life. Longtime observers and friends regard both Mr. and Mrs. Obama as somewhat emotionally chilly. "From what I understand, it's a bit like the Vulcan mating ritual, the Pon Far," said outgoing Democratic Party Chair Howard Dean. "Barack will feel a seasonal urge that he knows rationally and logically that he is powerless to control. He will inform Michelle and she will attempt to satisfy the urge. Their schedulers work out the precise details."

Although it was common for American presidents to have marital sex in the White House throughout the 19th Century, the practice has become increasingly rare in modern times. The last president believed to have frequent intercourse in the White House was Calvin Coolidge whose relationship with his wife, Grace, became intensely passionate following the death of their younger son from an infected blister.

The two chief executives most often associated with presidential sex in recent years, Bill Clinton and John F. Kennedy, did not have the sex they are famous for with their First Ladies. Jimmy Carter, a former president known for a tendency to overshare wrote in his memoir, Keeping Faith: Memoirs of a President, that he and his wife Rosalynn had intercourse once a year on New Year's Eve "for five minutes with the lights off" during his presidency. Mrs. Carter disputed her husband's account in her own memoir, First Lady from Plains.

With four large bedrooms, the First Family's private apartment on the second floor of the White House is designed to accommodate whatever marital configuration the President and First Lady happen to prefer, according to Rear Admiral Stephen Rochon, the Chief Usher of the Executive Mansion. "The President's bedroom and the First Lady's bedroom can be as close together or as far apart as they want," Adm. Rochon said, adding that, as with many couples, sleeping arrangements are usually decided based on who snores. As for the possibility that the Obamas might share a bedroom, Adm. Rochon said he "could not see any reason for that."

The Secret Service has already begun preparing for the possibility that the president's tight schedule might be interrupted on occasion by a brief sexual interlude. The code phrase to indicate that the president (code name "Renegade") and First Lady (code name "Renaissance") are having sex will be "discussing the Bosnian problem" as in "Renegade can't be disturbed right now. He and Renaissance are discussing the Bosnian problem." In the event that president and Mrs. Obama are, in fact, discussing the Bosnian problem and not having sex, Secret Service agents have been instructed to say that they are "reviewing the Bosnian situation." A spokesman for the Bosnian government could not be reached for comment.

Mr. Obama preferences with regard to birth control are not mentioned in either of his books, The Audacity of Hope and Dreams of my Father, though Michelle Obama has said on several occasions that she does not plan to have any more children.

Although Mr. Obama drew scant support form the Religious Right during his campaign, Fundamentalist Christians would have no objection to the president having post-marital sex in the White House according to Focus on the Family's James Dobson. "Intimate relations in the context of a different-sex marriage is just not something we have a problem with, despite what the liberal media would have you believe," he said.

The news that President Obama may soon be having sex in the White House was greeted by his supporters with decidedly mixed emotions. "I'm a little glad and a little sad," said Danielle Garcia-Robinson, a college student and Obama volunteer from Madison, Wisconsin. "I'm glad if he's happy and feeling pleasure but deep down a little part of me will always wish he were having sex with me," Ms. Garcia-Robinson said. Her boyfriend, David Nagel, echoed her sentiment. "That's how I feel, too," he said.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
LOL

What are you even talking about homeslice?

I live in Missouri. I'd like to think I know whats up.

The election result is of no surprise to me frankly, but to say it couldn't have gone either way in MO is silly.

3,902 votes is a crazy small margin.
What I'm talking about, homeslice, is that everyone knew it could go either way, but now the state is a big solid red on the electoral map. We've gotta get rid of the electoral college -- there was a great editorial about abolishing it in the NYTimes yesterday; it made some points I hadn't considered.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
Sometimes you just have to face it that you live in a red state.

Tell me about it. The only reason our current Governor won was because he said he'd put the rebel flag back on our state flag. He made sure to bring it up about a dozen times during his election debate.