New NEOGEO game: "NEO XYX" NG: DEV.TEAM 2013

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Except, it's pronounced "Tah-Tay." Yeah, I think Shirt made fun of me years ago for saying tate ;)

Seriously? I thought the same thing as Retrogamer. So it is japanese and not just a lazy way of saying rotate? Wow, learn something new everyday.

FalcomAdol

Fio's Quartermaster
Seriously? I thought the same thing as Retrogamer. So it is japanese and not just a lazy way of saying rotate? Wow, learn something new everyday.
Or, a bunch of Americans delude themselves further every day ;) I'm betting that the only place that Tate is pronounced Ta-tay, and means "a rotated display" is among SHMUP players. This has all the signs of a situation where Engrish ate itself.

Last edited:

kingbuzzo

Zero's Secretary
Tate is vertical, Yoko is horizontal.

Example: Tate-chu-yoko is a text layout meaning Horizontal-in-Vertical

In many console ports, you'll find a 'tate' mode that displays the game for use with a rotated monitor.

Anything else?

SSS

neo retired
Yoko killed the Beatles. Monitors are either vertical or horizontal. What the hell are you idiots babbling about?

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!

I thought the same thing as well. It's hard to believe the similarity between rotate and tate is just a coincidence.

aria

Former Moderator
I'm actually kind of surprised so many people here didn't already know how to pronounce Tate given all the shooter-obsessive-types. Maybe it's just the fact that I know several here in MN.

For the record, Sharon Tate is pronounced the same way [/troll]

FalcomAdol

Fio's Quartermaster
I thought the same thing as well. It's hard to believe the similarity between rotate and tate is just a coincidence.
What a shock?

I'm not too much man to admit I'm wrong:

1. 〈長さ〉 (a) length; 〈高さ〉 (a) height
縦30センチ横20センチ高さ10センチのブロック a block 30 by 20 by 10 centimeters
縦の lengthwise; 《フォーマル》 longitudinal; 〈垂直の〉 vertical; perpendicular
(クロスワードの)縦の1番 number one down
縦に lengthwise; lengthways; 《フォーマル》 longitudinally; 〈垂直に〉 perpendicularly; vertically
縦に並べる arrange 《the blocks》 lengthways [lengthwise]; place 《the desks》 one behind another [the other]
縦に線を引く draw a perpendicular [vertical] line
首を縦に振る agree; nod one's agreement; 《フォーマル》 nod (in) assent; 《フォーマル》 give one's consent 《to》
横のものを縦にもしない ⇒

1. 〈側面〉 the side; the flank; 〈幅〉 the width
縦20センチ横15センチの箱 a box 20 by 15 centimeters
横の 〈縦に対して〉 《フォーマル》 lateral; horizontal; 〈かたわらの〉 beside; by the side 《of》; by

Cognates FTW.

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
I´ve come to the conclusion that this xyx game is much, much less desirable than Gunlord because it seems to me like Gunlord was something they really worked hard on and gave their heart and soul to do. Compared to that this feels like something they are quickly putting together to fund their next real game. I´m sorry, but it really feels that way after finding out about how it´s based on some pc shmup demo. I tried that demo though and it´s addictive!

pipes

I´ve come to the conclusion that this xyx game is much, much less desirable than Gunlord because it seems to me like Gunlord was something they really worked hard on and gave their heart and soul to do. Compared to that this feels like something they are quickly putting together to fund their next real game. I´m sorry, but it really feels that way after finding out about how it´s based on some pc shmup demo. I tried that demo though and it´s addictive!

It's does seem to be more of a side project in comparison to their other releases for the reasons you stated. I mean, the amount of work they are putting into it will depend on how many pre-orders they get. That alone sets it apart from other games they've produced.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener

It's does seem to be more of a side project in comparison to their other releases for the reasons you stated. I mean, the amount of work they are putting into it will depend on how many pre-orders they get. That alone sets it apart from other games they've produced.

It definitely seems somewhat experimental. The game it's based off of is actually pretty incredible for an incomplete game, and they did say that all the sprites are redrawn and the gameplay is fairly different then XYX on pc. It seems to me that a TATE shooter was probably something they wanted to make but weren't sure how it would go over (for obvious reasons) and it's possible that they dug the style and basic setup of XYX on pc and just ran with it. We could even be looking at something that they worked on alongside Gunlord in their spare time as more of a love project to blow off steam.

Either way, I love the style and feel of this game and would very much like to own it, and you can be sure that it will be a very valuable cart with such a small print run. Hopefully I'll have the cash when and if they ever get around to printing a non-collecters edition.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I wouldn't worry too much about it being based, even loosely, on XYX. XYX is a damn good game. I'm definitely looking forward to this release. Gun Lord looked cool, but it is more of a console game and not something I really wanted for my cab. Probably a good one to grab on dreamcast, or maybe if I had a home system, but I couldn't imagine sitting at the cab for that long and playing it. The shooters, however, fit the bill nicely.

KBneospy

Marked Wolf
This has me looking at flat screen wall mounts that rotate 90 degrees. However cool, everyone wants a kick ass beat em up with frames and controls like a neo fighter ( so badass). One more plug for an update to Irems Metalslug precursor "in the hunt" so original and under the radar it deserves a new intro.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener

Well, I was just turning 5 when the game came out so it's not too surprising that I've never seen it! I didn't start adoring arcade games till a few years later in 1996, when I met metal slug.

Considering that what drew me to MS was the art, you can bet I'm genuinely grateful to see anything else from those artists :p

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
That tiger on the cover art looked super familiar. And I finally found the image that it reminded me of.

NnDeC.jpg

VkDkB.jpg

Which isn't surprising given that this game looks Toaplan inspired.

Strider77

Zero's Secretary
I agree with that for the most part, however, the Neo was not meant to be played in the Tate format. So, along with the AES guys who don't want to lay their TV's on it's side, there are those with dedicated Neo cabs and monitors that don't rotate. From the responses that NG: DEV have given so far, they don't seem too sure how the Yoko format is going to work with this game. That makes me hesitant to pre-order.

NO HOME CONSOLE was designed or "meant" for that..... but I play my Saturn, DC, PS1, PS2, and 360 that way (along with arcade boards).

I get it if your not into it that much so don't want to bother. Still so much bitching is amazing. Then again it's neo-geo.com. How do you guys stand it? Everytime I have tried to get more invested in this site I get turned off by all the bitching, moaning and drama. Then again when I'm bored there always links in other forums that point out the "best of" threads filled with drama. Good for killing time at work:-)

Last edited:

pipes

NO HOME CONSOLE was designed or "meant" for that..... but I play my Saturn, DC, PS1, PS2, and 360 that way (along with arcade boards).

I get it if your not into it that much so don't want to bother. Still so much bitching is amazing. Then again it's neo-geo.com. How do you guys stand it? Everytime I have tried to get more invested in this site I get turned off by all the bitching, moaning and drama. Then again when I'm bored there always links in other forums that point out the "best of" threads filled with drama. Good for killing time at work:-)

Are you really starting this again? Quoting a post from 2 weeks ago. If you hate bitching and moaning so much then what's the purpose of your post? It seems a bit hypocritical.

Last edited:

@Alaska-

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Well, I was just turning 5 when the game came out so it's not too surprising that I've never seen it! I didn't start adoring arcade games till a few years later in 1996, when I met metal slug.

Considering that what drew me to MS was the art, you can bet I'm genuinely grateful to see anything else from those artists :p

:buttrock:

Zabo

n00b

The problem to me is that If the game comes out and it's awesome..then I miss out on the MVS coin-op arcade version.

I missed out on Fast Striker because I just found out about NG Dev team recently.

I should have just pre-ordered Gunlord >.<

FalcomAdol

Fio's Quartermaster
For those who are interested, the Dreamcast version is now available for preorder as well.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
For those who are interested, the Dreamcast version is now available for preorder as well.

ughh so broke right now. with the exchange that comes in at $54 usd. VERY reasonably priced imo.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
ughh so broke right now. with the exchange that comes in at $54 usd. VERY reasonably priced imo.

DC version should be available for a little while. You can still pick up Gunlord DC, so I'd say you've got a bit of a window on XYX.