New NEOGEO game: "NEO XYX" NG: DEV.TEAM 2013

FalcomAdol

Fio's Quartermaster
Agreed.
But hey, explain me about this "TATE setup" thing. How do I know if my dreamcast is configured in that way?
The monitor is roTATEd on it's side, and the controls are configured in a way that they aren't screwed up relative to the rotated monitor (up is still up). That's all there is to it. You'd know if it was, I suspect.

As far as I can tell the "YOKO" part is just people being cute. (Tate and Yoko mean the eyes and eyebrows).

Last edited:

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
again, sorry to disturb you (cit) :spock:
what do you even want? no offence, but i really can't tell. reading your walls of text seriously makes my brain hurt. it got to the point at which i tried to ignore your posts and it wouldn't surprise me, if Timm would feel the same.

can you please try to get to the point with fewer words? ... and then be done with it?

bryan

Geese's Thug
The teaser looks good. Sorry I can't support it. I don't know why people just don't make everything in YOKO. Even back in the day they should have just done Galaga, DK, Pac Man, all of it in YOKO. It could have been "the way" and no one would have noticed, and everything would be compatible. Don't take this the wrong way, thumbs up for trying something different. I am glad you guys keep pumping out the games. I know I am the weird one when I like all vertical shmups in YOKO. I all ways feel trapped on the sides and if I am playing on a TV and the screen and border is dark I think I have room left but hit the invisible wall and die.

Gonna keep saving for that Fast Striker reprint.

Last edited:

SSS

neo retired
Another quality post. You seem to be doing most of the whining actually.

I'm sorry NG Dev isn't developing a game for your personal setup. Becuzz u have a cabinet that is stuk in a howizontal fowmat. Awwwwwwww

Maybe they should make a horizontal game called 'Lil Pipes. It would be a platformer with blues journey style graphics. The titular character is on a journey to collect TP to wipe his bum bum.

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
waiting

The game looks cool, but I am waiting for an AES release. Money is in hand until that time. Also still waiting for AES release of Pink Bullets as well. Fast Striker AES and GunLord AES are paid for and Im still waiting on those too. :D

I'm a bit torn on this one; specifically the fact that it's a vertical shooter primarily. My MVS runs in a big red cab so this game would have to be played in YOKO (horizontal) mode and I'm not too sure I'd be a fan of that. Anyone else a little put off by this? Just to clarify, I'm not saying anything bad about the game itself because it looks quite good from that clip actually.

Yeah...not sure why they didn't just go with designing it for horizontal play seeing as no other neo game requires rotating a monitor. Something like Progear's enemy proportions could have worked...Hopefully they'll at least put the score across the top in yoko mode so that it doesn't completely feel like you're playing it in the "wrong" orientation.

The trailer looks and sounds very cool, though!

Last edited:

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
i just don't like the idea that whatever game >> no game
it's not a good mentality
you're dying to buy something my friend, whatever it is

Sorry if I was a bit harsh alaska, I've got no beef, I just think that considering that they made this game this way, and considering that they have been in the neo scene for as long as they have, and that this is not the kind of undertaking that one does thoughtlessly, they know exactly what they are doing. This is the game they wanted to make. All their games are that way, if you don't like it then you don't buy it, and since you did nothing to help create it and have no ownership over it and spent absolutely no time on it then it doesn't hurt you to simply say to each his own.
The thing I don't like is someone who legitimately loves and supports the neo doing something rare and difficult for it and then having people basically respond with an enormous, entitled, middle finger.

NGdev makes games for the neo because they want to play games on the neo, and they make the games they do because they love those games. If they just wanted money then they would be making games on Xbox arcade or iOS. So yes, it is "these games or none" in that sense, and if there is some other game you want to play perhaps you should head over to that developer thread and start making your own.

On the subject at hand, the XYX demo for pc is amazing and with time and polish I would expect this to be even better. I also love the hand drawn sprites and I hope this sets a standard for you guys moving forward. My cabinet however does not have a rotating screen and I am still hoping to get a copy of Gunlord so I'll probably have to wait on this one!

Last edited:

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
I'm sorry NG Dev isn't developing a game for your personal setup. Becuzz u have a cabinet that is stuk in a howizontal fowmat. Awwwwwwww

Maybe they should make a horizontal game called 'Lil Pipes. It would be a platformer with blues journey style graphics. The titular character is on a journey to collect TP to wipe his bum bum.

That's very clever. What happened to respectfully disagreeing with someone instead of acting like complete child? You sound very immature. Seriously, I haven't read anything like that since elementary school.

I'm not the only one that might have an issue with this and it's not like I'm trying to bash NG: DEV, so I'm not sure why you feel the need to be disrespectful. You really haven't offered anything to this thread aside from an extremely poor attempt at humour.

Last edited:

SSS

neo retired
They're making a vertical shooter. End of story. Be grateful they're including a horizontal mode at all. You don't like it, don't buy it. There's no reason to be a whiny punk about it.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member

First Treasure of the Toilet Water, next.. Lil' Pipes.

You have a real thing for scatological games.

(Both have made me howl.)

Tacitus

Staff member
People crave originality on a dead platform.

People bitch when people do something different on a dead platform.

People will piss and moan about anything.

pipes

Seems to me, if we took all of the pissing and moaning out of this thread we'd be left with only 2 or 3 posts.

Anyways, it's nice to know SSS can make you howl VT. Multiple times in fact. That's no small feat.

Last edited:

pipes

What does that tell you?

Well, that tells me that some speak their minds even if it doesn't follow popular opinion and then there's some that can't handle that and have to resort to childish behavior.

@Alaska-

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
They're making a vertical shooter. End of story. Be grateful they're including a horizontal mode at all. You don't like it, don't buy it. There's no reason to be a whiny punk about it.

So this thread has no reason to exist since everybody know ng:dev website/store
one can just wait there while pressing this like there's no tomorrow
rafresh-refresh-F5-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-185.gif

eventually new announcement and details will comes up, i guess

please lock it :buttrock:

Tacitus

Staff member
Wow, surprised to see a mention of Uridium in there. I played that game to death back in the late 80's. Strangely enough, I'm in North America. Not many people here had a C64 to begin with, and Uridium was a tad obscure in it's library. Really great game for it's time!

Awww man. I played the crap out of Uridium on my 8088 pc. (ported to it) I remember picking it up at Electronics boutique out of the bargain bin. That's when they were a computer software only shop that had a tiny store in every mall. I think I grabbed Suspended out of the bin the same day.

Memories..

SSS

neo retired
So this thread has no reason to exist since everybody know ng:dev website/store
one can just wait there while pressing this like there's no tomorrow
rafresh-refresh-F5-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-185.gif

eventually new announcement and details will comes up, i guess

please lock it :buttrock:

Do you work for Getty Images?

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Seems to me, if we took all of the pissing and moaning out of this thread we'd be left with only 2 or 3 posts.

I shudder at the thought of such a utopia, an internet where people know that there is a difference between whining and "speaking your mind", a land where every man treats the others like a human being, instead of simply seeing him as a target for monkey to fling poop at, show other monkeys he best.
You've shown me the light pipes, you are truly a man of vision! :p

Retrogamer

Troller of Old Men,
20 Year Member
Looks very nice indeed, I would be Quickly divorced if I paid that much for a game. Perhaps when there is more info regarding a regular MVS or a dreamcast port. I shall put a little money aside either way. Thank you for keeping them coming NGDT keep us updated on versions being released please.

BigDeadFreak

Rugal's Thug
The monitor is roTATEd on it's side, and the controls are configured in a way that they aren't screwed up relative to the rotated monitor (up is still up). That's all there is to it. You'd know if it was, I suspect.

As far as I can tell the "YOKO" part is just people being cute. (Tate and Yoko mean the eyes and eyebrows).

Tate means 'vertical' in Japanese and yoko means 'horizontal'.

FalcomAdol

Fio's Quartermaster
Tate means 'vertical' in Japanese and yoko means 'horizontal'.
Being a predominantly non-Japanese speaker, I wonder if it really means that, or if it is SCHMUP lingo though, because as far as I know, suihei means horizontal.

Last edited: