New NEOGEO game: "NEO XYX" NG: DEV.TEAM 2013

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
SO, IT'S GOOD AND ALL...
having this game running on TATE on Candy Cab when the MVS release swings around (although, I'm not sure everyone is 100% sold on the idea), however, what happens when it comes down to the home release - on home cart/AES. I've never once owned a home release version of a shoot em up that doesn't at least offer the 'screen wipe' or typical tate-on-yoko functionality.

I'd LOVE to own a shooter like this for the home system, however, there's no way I'm digging £400 deep for a game that I have to play Yoko with rotated controls nor am I turning my Toshiba 29" CRT on it's side either!

Fast Strikers option to adopt the Yoko format for the NeoGeo made the most sense to me (along with the Sonic Wings series etc).

HOPEFULLY...
the hardware limitations wouldn't get in the way of releasing the DC version with a dedicated tate-on-yoko mode. Shame, as I really would love to own a game that looks as great as XYX, but the lack of - what is a pretty standard feature/expectation in console based shmup gaming - potentially, at this early stage, is a deal breaker for me.

system11

Shmups Overlord, ,
Fast Strikers option to adopt the Yoko format for the NeoGeo made the most sense to me (along with the Sonic Wings series etc).

Vertical shooters play better in vertical format, that's really all there is to it.

Just buy a cheap Atari/Amiga monitor and turn that on its side if the 29 is too delicate.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
I'd LOVE to own a shooter like this for the home system, however, there's no way I'm digging £400 deep for a game that I have to play Yoko with rotated controls nor am I turning my Toshiba 29" CRT on it's side either!

Yeah, I'm all for supporting NG: DEV as I have their last two releases but I think I'm going to wait this one out and see what comes of this Yoko issue. It's too much money to let go of if I'm unsure of the final product.

pipes

Vertical shooters play better in vertical format, that's really all there is to it.

I agree with that for the most part, however, the Neo was not meant to be played in the Tate format. So, along with the AES guys who don't want to lay their TV's on it's side, there are those with dedicated Neo cabs and monitors that don't rotate. From the responses that NG: DEV have given so far, they don't seem too sure how the Yoko format is going to work with this game. That makes me hesitant to pre-order.

Just buy a cheap Atari/Amiga monitor and turn that on its side if the 29 is too delicate.

That seems like a pain in the ass just to accomodate one game.

Last edited:

system11

Shmups Overlord, ,
I agree with that for the most part, however, the Neo was not meant to be played in the Tate format. So, along with the AES guys who don't want to lay their TV's on it's side, there are those with dedicated Neo cabs and monitors that don't rotate. From the responses that NG: DEV have given so far, they don't seem too sure how the Yoko format is going to work with this game. That makes me hesitant to pre-order.

Honestly, I don't think they should even try. You can rotate the controls and make it playable, but it won't be fun that way. A lot of Neo (MVS) owners are simply arcade collectors, a vertical screen is no problem at all. Both of my cabs have rotate mechanisms for example.

NG:DEV.TEAM

Marked Wolf
Actually the situation is pretty clear. The game graphics are always horizontal. For tate you rotate your screen or put it in a vertical cab and for yoko the DIP settings will rotate the controls and HUD display by 90°.

Fandangos

Hardened Shock Trooper
You know, I was complaining exactly about that but I remembered that every NG:Dev game has a Dreamcast version.

So, yeah Dreamcast will be the way to go.

kuk

Benimaru's Hairdresser
and this time you will propose an neogeo CD version ?

Zhar Johnson

Cheng's Errand Boy
Is there going to be 2 player on this? Definitely necessary to make this shmup even more epic.

KBneospy

Marked Wolf
Fingers crossed NGdev make a submarine shooter like items fantastic In The Hunt.:drool:

FalcomAdol

Fio's Quartermaster
Fingers crossed NGdev make a submarine shooter like items fantastic In The Hunt.:drool:
While In the Hunt was a good game, I think I'd prefer NGDev keep making whatever they want to make. That approach seems to have worked out ok so far.

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Sorry if this isn't the most appropriate place, but has NG:Dev made a two-player game yet? I'm not particularly knowledgeable about their stuff, but I'm partial to stuff that's two-player (except shooters, and I guess that's their forte.)

New game looks cool, reminds me in way of later Raizing stuff. I won't shell out the cash, but if an opportunity to play it presented itself, I'd love to try it.

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
Did anybody else notice this:

* MEGS count depends on final budget. The budget depends of pre orders/pre sales.

Current budget 2012-09-19: ~200 MEGS / 1 game mode

FalcomAdol

Fio's Quartermaster
Did anybody else notice this:

* MEGS count depends on final budget. The budget depends of pre orders/pre sales.

Current budget 2012-09-19: ~200 MEGS / 1 game mode
Yes. If they implemented a vertical mode for standard display instead of rotated, the meg count would climb significantly since the system doesn't do rotation in hardware. Really the character ROMS are your hot spot for megs on Neo.

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
Yes. If they implemented a vertical mode for standard display instead of rotated, the meg count would climb significantly since the system doesn't do rotation in hardware. Really the character ROMS are your hot spot for megs on Neo.

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I'll consider this preorder once NG: DEV delivers Gun Lord and Fast Striker homecarts.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I wish everyone would stop complaining about the horizontal issue and just let the rest of us have this game. I'm glad that for the most part NGDev seems to ignore the annoying questions that get posted here. It must already be enough work developing a game and then to have all the complaints on top of it might be a bit demoralizing.

I use my MVS as a console and I have an old 13" TV that doesn't have any problem being rotated on its side. Maybe it's because it has a built-in VCR and there is shielding or something. I use that setup for all my tate boards including DDP Bee Storm for the PGM. I always wished someone would make a game like that for MVS.

Those who want to play this game will find a way to deal with it. If not, skip this one. Programming a rotated mode would take so much extra time and memory that is much better used on adding more stages and modes.

pipes

^
Sorry to disturb you.

Congratulations also, as I imagine this game will be glorious on that 13" TV you have flipped on it's side.

Last edited: