NeoGeo Battle Coliseum (XBLA) - June 9th

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
I went to SRK after posting that to check it out. There's about 5 people there saying it plays well online, nobody saying anything bad yet. I suppose there's a possibility of a playable online game from Playmore now. Its only 10 bucks so I may mess around with it if I'm bored and hear more good things.

Indeed. Just popped in that thread to see what was up and it looks promising.

Maybe Playmore finally got their shit together...

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
okay played 2 random people here are my early impressions:

1st guy - 170~ping - noticeable input lag, but honestly I've gotten worse in SSF4, irritating all the same. Def better than MOTW, 98UM or 12.

2nd guy - 240~ping - pretty much perfect connection, no lag that I noticed. Best online Playmore rounds I've ever played.

I have no clue how to play this game.

No 4:3 support, new sprites look pretty cool.

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
No question about it, NGBC XBLA's online play is leagues better than the XBLA games (and KOF XII) that came out last year. SNK is finally getting their act together. 2009 kicked their ass all over the place and now they HAVE to step it up. This is a good sign for the online side of things.

The game's online menus are still a bit clunky, but it lists the ping for each player without needing to go into any additional menus. For me anything in the range 150 or lower has been great. Even had a few 200+ ping matches that went okay. This is a thousand times better than XII was.

elixir

NAM-75 Vet
This is actually a pretty good XBLA release. By SNK. I'm really surprised.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member

I went in thinking the same. Boy, was i WRONG. This is as robust online as any on xbl. No lag. HD redux rules- no input lag on a ASUS VH236. I can't believe SNKP is capable of this- if Slug 7 would've gotten the same treatment. . .if only. I am seriously over the damn noon. Now that i know they have acquired the ability, I WANT XII PATCHED. Again. 800pts is a bargin- i grew up paying hundreds for carts off of lawn mowing money. I would re-purchase every single SNK/SNKP PS2 port on xbl that received this treatment. This is Final Fight dbl impact good. *pumped for XIII*

Kaike

Geese's Thug
I went in thinking the same. Boy, was i WRONG. This is as robust online as any on xbl. No lag. HD redux rules- no input lag on a ASUS VH236. I can't believe SNKP is capable of this- if Slug 7 would've gotten the same treatment. . .if only. I am seriously over the damn noon. Now that i know they have acquired the ability, I WANT XII PATCHED. Again. 800pts is a bargin- i grew up paying hundreds for carts off of lawn mowing money. I would re-purchase every single SNK/SNKP PS2 port on xbl that received this treatment. This is Final Fight dbl impact good. *pumped for XIII*

Yeah i just played 5 matches and wow I was relived that SNKP finally got there shit together and fixed the US netcode.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Yeah i just played 5 matches and wow I was relived that SNKP finally got there shit together and fixed the US netcode.

Word. It didn't matter if i hosted, or joined: great online. Pings ranged from mid-hundreds to low twos. . .i was fine. Arranged soundtrack is rad. Gfx filters serviceable- smoothing for the folks that like it like that, chunky piped thru VGA or HDMI is tits. The 2d overlay on 3d backgrounds is more KOF 99 on DC than Morrigan in MvC2. That is to say, it fits well. Why couldn't the squad that showed up for this release worked on XII?! Man, what could've been. SvC chaos would go from Hoopty to HotRod if it were playtested by LWK, and given this sort of reboot. Fanfuckintastic job, SNKP.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Have the ps2 version. Played the trial tonight and it looks good. Are there any differences between the ps2 and xbla version other then the online play?

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Just wanted to echo that it's been lag-free and awesome so far.... "Worth the 800 points" would be an understatement.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Just wanted to echo that it's been lag-free and awesome so far.... "Worth the 800 points" would be an understatement.

Oh shit! What up Bill? Haven't seen you around since last year's telecom/MOTW xbl posts. Friend me on 360, and lets put this thing thru its paces!

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Just got home after celebrating the Blackhawks winning the Stanley Cup tonight.

Glad to see that the feedback is positive on the online. Soon I'll have to get in and try some matches.

If it's possible, they should patch their games to have the kind of online you guys are talking about.

Good signs, guys. Good stuff I'm seeing here.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
It's the same as the one in the PS2 version. It's nice they included it though. As a download, they might have been inclined to remove it.

After the botchfest that was XII (DLC music for a game that was shipped incomplete) i honestly wasn't expecting much from NGBC. This release has made me a fan again.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
I'm floored... I was expecting the netcode to be complete shit but it's actually quite good. Wow.

I wouldn't say it's perfect though. Actually, I wouldn't even say it's consistent. Like, I've been in a player match session where the lag actually felt like it varied from match to match - the first match would be really good but then later it got worse. Then it got good again. It's baffling.

But for the most part, it's good. Congrats SNKP for finally making netcode that isn't complete shit. Hopefully 02UM is just as playable.

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
the background with the Last Resort ship is missing from this version:(
but i´m really enjoying the game,tough the online is quiet decent there´s still a few laggy matches but even these ones are much better than the ones on KOF 12.
Wish they could update the other SNKP releases on Live with this net code.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
Found my Comcast line severed last night when I got home from work (they're building a house next door), so I couldn't get on Live. Had to jack a neighbors internet for a bit to take care of some e-mails and such.

Hopefully it'll be back up when I get home tonight so I can check this out.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
Good to hear!

I tried the demo and it seemed to be fine.

I will grab this then. I enjoyed playing it when I had my PS2.

Yep worth the 800 points especially as i missed this title first time around. Now to practice a bit before going online.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Have the ps2 version. Played the trial tonight and it looks good. Are there any differences between the ps2 and xbla version other then the online play?

The sprites were re-drawn for HD, they look killer! It's also been set up for 16:9.

the background with the Last Resort ship is missing from this version:(

I've seen it once, it's still there. :)

in the options, what's difference between the graphics options A & B? it doesn't help that i'm playing on a mad small television and i have bad eyesight.