NeoGeo Battle Coliseum (XBLA) - June 9th

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Nah, that doesn't warrant flames. Copping to an honest mistake of such insignificant magnitude in public absolves you of teh flamz, IMO.

black_7

Fio's Quartermaster
NGBC will most likely be translated. This gameplay video of the XBLA version shows an English win quote at 3:30 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX8LH_IpEks

I was also annoyed by the Japanese win quotes in KOF '98 UM, but SNKP seems to be improving in this area. I eventually decided to buy the XBLA version of Metal Slug XX and it was fully translated.

THe animation in that youtube video looked kind of choppy and floaty. I hope they improve on that and it looks better when it comes out.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
THe animation in that youtube video looked kind of choppy and floaty. I hope they improve on that and it looks better when it comes out.

How can animation look "floaty," exactly?

dbarrett0928

Banned
ps3

any word on a ps3 release??? It seems snk concentrates more on xbox 360 these days - other than the virtual console.

Kibagami-Howard

Kuroko's Training Dummy
any word on a ps3 release??? It seems snk concentrates more on xbox 360 these days - other than the virtual console.

There most likely wont be a PS3 release of it. And idk wats up with SNK and SCEA but if you go on the Japanese PlayStation store they have KOF 94-99 on there and all of the SS games which is weird.

LordG_9

Marked Wolf
There most likely wont be a PS3 release of it. And idk wats up with SNK and SCEA but if you go on the Japanese PlayStation store they have KOF 94-99 on there and all of the SS games which is weird.

what??!11...sony just ahh nevermind

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
You know you can prolly pick up a PS2 copy for less than the XBLA version, right?

This one does have the distinction of the high-res widescreen display, as well as the upscaled/retouched HD sprites.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
On my way to a playdate with my kids. Won't be on till taver this evening, EST. *looks forward to Taiso's and Deuce's impressions.*

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
DLed it this morning. Played it a bit before jetting off to work.

Looks likes a pretty good conversion from what I saw.

Overall, the sprites are crisp, with great linework and animations. The pixels look a little aliased but nothing to complain about. I didn't check to see if there's a 'smoothing' option or if the default WAS the smoothed version.

I still think Terry's sprite looks like muddy shit in this game, but that's not native to the XBLA version.

Menus and win quotes are in English. The lettering is amateurish-some actual graphic fonts and attention to visual detail in this respect would have been appreciated, but I did not download this game to read the win quotes so I will just consider it a noticeable but unimportant aspect of the game's production.

Control feels tight and responsive with my SF IV 2nd Round TE stick.

I also didn't check to see if the roster is in full on unlock mode or if you have to 'earn' the characters.

Game has two art galleries-one for the character select graphics and one for the win quote screens. Looks pretty good, IMO.

Thank god you can configure the controls to use all eight buttons. Hated that about FFS for XBLA.

Didn't get to try online vs. yet. Will scan this thread periodically to see if people try it to gauge what they think.

So far, as a repurchase of a game I already own twice (JP PS2 and US PS2 versions), it's worth the 10 bucks to me. Will enjoy experiencing this game all over again

Last edited:
So its already up? Will download it when i get home. Have never owned it so if anyone fancies wailing on me in a game later then add me (same username as here).
Oh hi by the way, i joined the site today.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Comments on the netcode? I'm not going to buy it if it doesn't have solid online capabilities.

Oh, who am I kidding? I'll still buy it, but only so I feel a sense of entitlement when I bitch about it.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Comments on the netcode? I'm not going to buy it if it doesn't have solid online capabilities.

Oh, who am I kidding? I'll still buy it, but only so I feel a sense of entitlement when I bitch about it.

:lolz:

EDIT: Although I WILL add that if they promise online play as part of the package, you pay for the product, and the online is unsatisfactory, you have every right to the sense of entitlement and every right, as a consumer, to complain wherever and whenever you feel like.

Bullshit answers like 'It's a Japanese company' are no excuse. If you release it to a particular market, you owe it to that market to make EVERY SINGLE FEATURE of the product fully functional. Period.

Last edited:

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
I'll have to peep the demo when I get home. I've never even played this before, so looking forward to checking it out.

I know I won't be buying it though. Unplayable online, which is inevitable, is a deal breaker for me as I have no one local to play that's into fighters.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
This one does have the distinction of the high-res widescreen display, as well as the upscaled/retouched HD sprites.
Yeah, but do I want that? It's an Atomiswave game. Old games keep getting upgrades and re-releases like this because companies like to make money.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Tried it. The backgrounds look good and it's cool that it's wide screen, but the characters still look very pixelated in 1080p. We'll see what the online turnout is like.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
I'm interested, but I'll be waiting to hear netcode reports. I bought KOF 98 UM and Garou "mow" and was disappointed twice. Oh wait, KOF 12 as well, so 3 times. I honestly doubt they got it right even once.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
I'm interested, but I'll be waiting to hear netcode reports. I bought KOF 98 UM and Garou "mow" and was disappointed twice. Oh wait, KOF 12 as well, so 3 times. I honestly doubt they got it right even once.

Yeah, there's really no need to wait and see what people say about the code as it's pretty much guaranteed to be garbage. From what I gather, it seems like the netcode they use works perfectly fine in Japan. It just blows balls for everyone else in the world.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Yeah, there's really no need to wait and see what people say about the code as it's pretty much guaranteed to be garbage. From what I gather, it seems like the netcode they use works perfectly fine in Japan. It just blows balls for everyone else in the world.

I went to SRK after posting that to check it out. There's about 5 people there saying it plays well online, nobody saying anything bad yet. I suppose there's a possibility of a playable online game from Playmore now. Its only 10 bucks so I may mess around with it if I'm bored and hear more good things.

Kibagami-Howard

Kuroko's Training Dummy
The onlines good im playing it online as we speak no lag so far.

Last edited: