NeoGeo Battle Coliseum (XBLA) - June 9th

Clessy

Banned
Got all boss beat accomplishments yesterday.

I forgot how much ass some of those bosses were. They are just recockulous.

All in all, though, I'm really rediscovering this game all over again. It's quite fun.

Next up: survival mode achievement!
See this would be totally doable for me if they didnt throw a boss every 5 enemies.
Fucking beats the shit out of my life.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
See this would be totally doable for me if they didnt throw a boss every 5 enemies.
Fucking beats the shit out of my life.

Yeah, it's very rough. King Lion is total bullshit. I've got Mizuchi and Nio Dio sort of figured out, but King Lion...he is an asshole. Goodman even seemed easier than King Lion.

And what the fuck...King Lion? Like that was EVER a cool boss for Neo Geo. I know they're drawing from the plethora of the Neo Geo universe of titles but....King Lion?

To lose to such a lame design makes me a sad panda.

Fett

Camel Slug
Yeah, it's very rough. King Lion is total bullshit. I've got Mizuchi and Nio Dio sort of figured out, but King Lion...he is an asshole. Goodman even seemed easier than King Lion.

And what the fuck...King Lion? Like that was EVER a cool boss for Neo Geo. I know they're drawing from the plethora of the Neo Geo universe of titles but....King Lion?

Uh oh, don't let all the die hard Kizuna Encounter fan boys hear you...

Kibagami-Howard

Kuroko's Training Dummy

You got Mizuchi figured out!? It maybe just me but Mizuchi is way more difficult than King Lion IMO I can't even get near him he keeps spamming the same move over and over! The only thing I have to worry about with Lion is that counter move he has other than that he's pretty easy.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Uh oh, don't let all the die hard Kizuna Encounter fan boys hear you...

Well, I think King Lion's a lame character design. if Kizuna fans got a problem with that, that's their prerogerative:)

You got Mizuchi figured out!? It maybe just me but Mizuchi is way more difficult than King Lion IMO I can't even get near him he keeps spamming the same move over and over! The only thing I have to worry about with Lion is that counter move he has other than that he's pretty easy.

You have to dash and attack between the spam blue column energie thingies. Then you have to lay into him with a combo before he can hit you with his half screen counter projectile. It gets harder and he starts spamming the blue column thingie as he takes more damage, but the technique doesn't change. It just gets more frantic. But while he's doing it, he rarely defends himself. But you definitely DON'T want to try and start a combo when he's getting back up. That way leads to death. At first, he was frustrating the fuck out of me, but once I got the pattern down, it wasn't that hard. He's the only boss I've beaten the game with where I didn't have to continue.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Back when I played it on the PS2, I felt the bosses were the game's one weakness. The 1-player game would roll along just fine and then come to a dead hault after reaching the boss.

Bay78

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
How hard are the achievements to get in this game? I have the game on Atomiswave and PS2 and maybe will pick it up with the achievements arn't too hard.

Clessy

Banned
How hard are the achievements to get in this game? I have the game on Atomiswave and PS2 and maybe will pick it up with the achievements arn't too hard.

I'd say you can get at least half of them rather effortless but they're at least 3 hard achievements.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Back when I played it on the PS2, I felt the bosses were the game's one weakness. The 1-player game would roll along just fine and then come to a dead hault after reaching the boss.

I'd agree with this.

For me, I just hate the fact that the feel of the game and the flow of its play changes completely when you reach the boss.

Most of SNK's bosses feel like that to me. They feel like 'dumb' hard challenges, as though the designers felt they couldn't deliver an exciting climactic battle without completely throwing out all the gameplay that was so fun leading up to the fight and replacing it with a nonsensically hard challenge.

Mind you, I am still a SNK fan and I like the majority of their bosses on a conceptual/aesthetic level, but the challenge curve is just not commensurate with the game's experience overal, IMO.

EDIT: Survival Achievement GET!

The trick was to just open up big on the bosses. Not hard at all. Got 27 rounds on Survival completed, going through all bosses in the course of that, without much difficulty.

While the endings REALLY, REALLY suck in this game, I think it's bollocks you can't view them in a gallery. Good thing the internet exists for this sort of thing.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I agree, but I've also seen players lay KOF bosses to waste in an arcade, so there's probably something I'm just not getting.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I agree, but I've also seen players lay KOF bosses to waste in an arcade, so there's probably something I'm just not getting.

Well, to be honest I don't think that has anything to do with the game. Some players are just very, very good at reacting to the opponent, be it human or AI, and taking advantage of an opening with a punishing combination.

Even those players would tell you the boss fights are different experiences, and need to be approached differently, from the rest of the game. It's still a different level of challenge.

Kibagami-Howard

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I agree SNK bosses are the hardest of all bosses there all very cheap and overpowered. The only SNK boss I don't have that much trouble with is Kain in MOTW.

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
Hey all, just bought the new xbox and nabbed up this game. My xbox live gamertag is Joseph Hess. Add me and play me !