Microsoft expected to go multi platform

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
I read a lot about consoles ending but it is really viable in the United States where a significant portion of the doesn’t have the internet speed to support downloading games, let alone streaming them?

It takes my PS4 all day to down an update for a game. By the time it is downloaded I am over playing it or am busy.

I think this is the reason physical video games will continue for the time being, more so than collectors craving physical releases.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I read a lot about consoles ending but it is really viable in the United States where a significant portion of the doesn’t have the internet speed to support downloading games, let alone streaming them?

It takes my PS4 all day to down an update for a game. By the time it is downloaded I am over playing it or am busy.

I think this is the reason physical video games will continue for the time being, more so than collectors craving physical releases.
I can see it continuing for a portion of the population, the same way CDs are still sold now.

The issue is Sony and MS are going to remove the drive from future consoles to save money, and to increase profits from their own digital sales. The only hope is that maybe they sell a detachable drive separately like the one for the PS5 slim.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
I can see it continuing for a portion of the population, the same way CDs are still sold now.

The issue is Sony and MS are going to remove the drive from future consoles to save money, and to increase profits from their own digital sales. The only hope is that maybe they sell a detachable drive separately like the one for the PS5 slim.
Why in the fuck would either company do that? They want no physical media, especially if it costs more to keep it. They can control digital. Cool pipe dream, not going to happen.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Why in the fuck would either company do that? They want no physical media, especially if it costs more to keep it. They can control digital. Cool pipe dream, not going to happen.
Agreed. I only mention the detachable drive to cover myself as an outside chance for the goobs who just won't let that pipe dream go. The point of my post is that physical media won't remain on consoles like it does for music because the console-makers don't want it to.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
What were the last consoles with finished physical releases that did not require updates?

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
What were the last consoles with finished physical releases that did not require updates?
PS2/Xbox/Gamecube generation

That's not to say that some occasional PS360 games didn't require updates, but those were rare.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member

It's not Sony's fault you have bad internet

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
PS2/Xbox/Gamecube generation

That's not to say that some occasional PS360 games didn't require updates, but those were rare.
Yeah, so over 20yrs ago.
People buying physical releases expecting to be able to play them in a couple decades. Phew. Sometimes the game isn't even fully on the disc.

Mind you I haven't had any optical media for over half a decade easily so

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member

I think this comment was true for PS4 era, but it's drastically overstated in current day America.
What's the primary way people watch media? It's not discs, it's set top boxes. That's gigs and gigs of media per day. When was the last time you saw a laptop with a disc drive? It's been almost 3-5 years.

Broadband is more common than clean running water in Africa. It's not a challenge in the 1st world either.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I think this comment was true for PS4 era, but it's drastically overstated in current day America.
What's the primary way people watch media? It's not discs, it's set top boxes. That's gigs and gigs of media per day. When was the last time you saw a laptop with a disc drive? It's been almost 3-5 years.

Broadband is more common than clean running water in Africa. It's not a challenge in the 1st world either.
They had already pronounced consoles dead. They were calling the PS4 generation the last generation. Then it came out and beat all sales expectations. That was the end of that.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
They had already pronounced consoles dead. They were calling the PS4 generation the last generation. Then it came out and beat all sales expectations. That was the end of that.

you still need something to play on, so I don't think consoles are going to be dead-dead. PS5 is trending close to PS4 at month 33ish.
but disc drives are clearly dying.

Cloud gaming is where we still have an infrastructure problem, but remote play is pretty good stepping stone. I use Parsec to ostensibly do cloud/remote gaming from my PC at home to my work laptop when I travel.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
The digital/cloud gaming only works if you have a good connection.
If you live in a more rural area it's more likely you will have bad internet for the foreseeable future.
Guess I'd just rather have something in hand in exchange for my money.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
you still need something to play on, so I don't think consoles are going to be dead-dead.
PC's, smartphones and smart TV's could do the job in theory. Gamers just like the convenience of consoles. I still think consoles will go away, just not as soon as it was predicted back then. Maybe in another couple generations. I can see the PS6 or PS7 being the end, but don't quote me on that later.