Microsoft expected to go multi platform

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The type of people that own and use the Xbox as their main or only console are not the type of people that give a shit about physical media. They are the Madden and COD crowd of dude bros and teens. The kind of people that don't think twice about dropping $70+ on a digital new release the day it comes out. Not doing physical releases for the system makes total sense.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
like what

A shit version of Call of Duty 4 maybe?

Kernow is probably talking about games like Uncharted 2 and 3 which did look very good. But our sweet Essex prince also probably didn’t notice Gears of War 2 and 3 also had high bars for graphics on the 360.

-———-—- -————-—---

”Every screen is an Xbox” is the memo Microsoft has sent to staff today. Here’s the stream for later on…

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I'm no longer shocked at how long these shifts can take TBH. When I was doing merch for Sony, they said the PS5 hardware would be baked into their TVs, but also available as consoles. That obviously didn't happen. I do think the future will be full of Google TV style dongles; I just don't know when that will be. I'm already turned off by the off the shelf components and RISC / SoC architecture, so I don't really even mind at this point. I still have my three decades' worth of a backlog to play through.

I wasn't sure how people would take the "end of consoles" post. If I cared about consoles or had bought a new one since the original Wii*, it might come off as overdramatic. Since I *haven't* cared about consoles for a long time, I might just sound like a hater.

Really, I just don't think there's a point to them anymore. As hardware the Playstation and Xbox aren't distinct enough from each other or the PC, so all they really have are exclusives that aren't necessarily even optimized for their respective platforms.

Nintendo's in a similar situation now that switch-like handhelds are coming out. Are there any more trips to the hardware gimmick well they can take at this point?

Edit: *The newest console I have hooked up in the house is a Wii U that a friend gave me when he was getting rid of his kid's old systems. Other than that, I've played a few newer console games... just not on the console. PS3 Demon's Souls and some Switch games via emulation. Bloodborne via PlayStation Now.

Last edited:

Hans

In my bathroom I pee sitting. No splashing
Goob of the Year
Xbox business update posted to YouTube. A total of 4 unnamed games will be moving to other platforms. These games will not be Starfield or Indiana Jones. 🤷‍♂️

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Yeah, sounds like it'll be Sea of Thieves and a few older games that they'd like to ring a few extra bucks out of. Also, to the surprise of no one, Acti-Blizzard games (including Diablo 4 in March) are coming to Game Pass. I mean it all makes sense but they wouldn't be doing it if they felt like the Xbox was a healthy enough platform to return a profit on the investments they make in to developing games.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Yeah I’m watching the stream. It’s just 4 games for now, which have ‘reached their potential on Xbox’ and have already be on the market for at least 1 year.

So, basically after they stop selling in large numbers on Xbox, they are considering some titles to go on other platforms.

A bit of an anti-climax, but Phil did say in 5 to 10 years there might be ‘one console, one PC’ but no big shift for now.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I mean if they could start by not making an underpowered hunk of shit and calling it a "next-gen console" forcing all multi-platform development to be gimped to be able to support it, that'd be great. The Series S is a great emulation box but we've got a million devices that can do that.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Welp, all that panic on social media sure was warranted over this.

I mean if they could start by not making an underpowered hunk of shit and calling it a "next-gen console" forcing all multi-platform development to be gimped to be able to support it, that'd be great.
lol Series S.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Welp, all that panic on social media sure was warranted over this.

Yeah but it’s probably true we will see Elder Scrolls 6 and other stuff on Playstation 6 or whatever in the future. Microsoft wants your money, they’d rather you bought into their ecosystem sure but if not they’ll still sell you the same game after a period of platform exclusivity.

It will be years before you see all the big IPs on other consoles, but it’s definitely where they are heading.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Kernow is probably talking about games like Uncharted 2 and 3 which did look very good. But our sweet Essex prince also probably didn’t notice
Is kernow not from, erm, kernow??

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
It's too bad they're not brining over any of the Forza Horizon games. Those are probably the best arcade racing games since Outrun 2/Coast to Coast.
Yeah. That's the one Xbox series my brother with a PS5 plays on PC. If you have a PS5 you're stuck with The Crew Motorsport as a poor man's Horizon.

If anyone wonders why I still play Xbox, it's for Forza Horizon, and I enjoy playing through a new Halo or Gears of War when it comes out. Though even Horizon has grown a bit stale as I age.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
cross publish games that aren't system sellers. that makes sense. Might as well get a little revenue from the games.

TBF, Sony is doing a lot more on PC, and they've recently stated they plan more PC games to be launched side by side with PS5 releases. Like Helldivers 2.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Sony 1st party games can suck my balls … same for Xbox. I’m officially entering my grumpy phase. I just want to play a next gen game here or there, thankfully nothing I like is exclusive. Will probably buy a ps5 next year.