Microsoft expected to go multi platform

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member

Phase One: Buy Activision and Bethesda for billions to use exclusively for Xbox
Phase Two: ?
Phase Three: Make all Xbox games multi platform

I hope someone made a killer bonus at Microsoft HQ for suggesting phase one and phase three.

So Microsoft want to ‘do a Netflix’ and become a content service on other platforms. That’s a boring bleak future but it was inevitable I suppose.

Any Switch or PS5 owners excited to see Forza, Gears of Wars or Halo on their consoles of choice?

It is expected that Microsoft won’t exit the Games console hardware market, at least for a while. So it’s not a Sega situation yet.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Any Switch or PS5 owners excited to see Forza, Gears of Wars or Halo on their consoles of choice?

It is expected that Microsoft won’t exit the Games console hardware market, at least for a while. So it’s not a Sega situation yet.

One thing that's funny about this is that the idiots I see on FB that are all about the console wars have it so ingrained in their heads that MS sucks that they don't even want the games.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
It'll be select franchises only, not their core stuff I imagine, so no halo, forza etc.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
I miss the 80s/90s console landscape when there were tons of different consoles on the market, and they were all doing something different and innovative to separate themselves from the pack. The fight between these two mega-conglomerates over the past few console generations hasn't even been a fight really. They've already collaborated on so many endeavors that this isn't even surprising. And from the ps360 gen to now, their consoles have been 95% identical. Handful of console exclusives, and the thumbsticks on the controllers are in slightly different locations. Anything else I'm missing? The "fuck xbox/fuck sony" crowds have provided entertainment though.

My prediction is that within another console generation, we'll see television sets equipped with GPUs/gaming capabilities, and discrete consoles will become niche. You'll subscribe to MS Gaming or Sony Live or whatever via an app on yr tv set. The same way people have already stopped buying disc players and cable in favor of Netflix or Disney Plus, et cetera. Seems to be an inevitability.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
This has been overblown in social media. It's going to be a handful of sub-AAA titles like Hi-Fi Rush becoming timed console exclusives instead of exclusives. They aren't leaving the console market.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
When will the obsession for recurring revenue blow up in these corpos’ faces?

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
This has been overblown in social media. It's going to be a handful of sub-AAA titles like Hi-Fi Rush becoming timed console exclusives instead of exclusives. They aren't leaving the console market.

Phil Spencer is certainly saying that (as any good executive/product steward would) and while it remains to be seen how much of their stuff does end up showing up on other platforms, this choice ends with them either no longer making video game hardware or severely deemphasizing the need for it. Partially because the mere implication that they are will lead to increasingly lower sales of their hardware, partially because of their CEO's known desire to transform the company in to a "services" business (and away from selling physical items) and partially because they've been a distant third in the market for over a decade at this point and MS isn't exactly known for sticking with platforms that aren't a market leader.

I'm not invested in any particular outcome and we'll obviously know more later this week. I just don't see any other long-term outcome if that's what they decide to do.

More people should play Hi-Fi Rush.

This is the real takeaway.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Phil Spencer is certainly saying that (as any good executive/product steward would) and while it remains to be seen how much of their stuff does end up showing up on other platforms, this choice ends with them either no longer making video game hardware or severely deemphasizing the need for it. Partially because the mere implication that they are will lead to increasingly lower sales of their hardware, partially because of their CEO's known desire to transform the company in to a "services" business (and away from selling physical items) and partially because they've been a distant third in the market for over a decade at this point and MS isn't exactly known for sticking with platforms that aren't a market leader.

I'm not invested in any particular outcome and we'll obviously know more later this week. I just don't see any other long-term outcome if that's what they decide to do.
I mean, that's the end game. I'm just not in panic mode that we're there yet. It has long been known that they plan to focus on Xbox as a service, and there are already Microsoft games like Minecraft on other platforms. They are just gradually going to do more, and we will see how much it is and how fast. The end of consoles altogether has long been predicted, and there will inevitably be a final PlayStation at some point too, as future gens move away from the idea of having a set top box just for gaming.

deviljin102

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
As much as I wanted both sides to have their thing, I guess MS is going the route of Sega. Plus they need to make up that money for buying Bethesda.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
As much as I wanted both sides to have their thing, I guess MS is going the route of Sega. Plus they need to make up that money for buying Bethesda.
The question is how fast they go the way of Sega. I still think they will release a console in the next gen, but we'll see.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I play on my Switch and PS4 but I can’t remember the last time I played a “triple A” game
That's because there hasn't been an RE, kojima or naughty dog title in a while. Since I don't play shit like assassin's creed and stuff my roadmap is very quiet. Mgs delta next I suppose

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
That's because there hasn't been an RE, kojima or naughty dog title in a while. Since I don't play shit like assassin's creed and stuff my roadmap is very quiet. Mgs delta next I suppose
Yeah retro releases/remakes and some indies like shooters for me.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
All the PS5 games I’ve purchased are PS4 games that are “optimized” for PS5.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
My prediction is that within another console generation, we'll see television sets equipped with GPUs/gaming capabilities, and discrete consoles will become niche. You'll subscribe to MS Gaming or Sony Live or whatever via an app on yr tv set. The same way people have already stopped buying disc players and cable in favor of Netflix or Disney Plus, et cetera. Seems to be an inevitability.

You don't even need all that, just something capable of running a chrome like browser.
Like maybe a raspberry pi and some sort of internet service or data plan.

There's an Nvidia service that they're basically streaming the highest end computers to you.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce-now/memberships/
(Prices have dropped, they wanted something $100 a month last year....seems to me)

Really that's all Stadia and Luna were/are.
You are streaming their computers/servers.
I was streaming Cyberpunk to my 5 year old cellphone or anything else that had chrome, worked great.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
You don't even need all that, just something capable of running a chrome like browser.
Like maybe a raspberry pi and some sort of internet service or data plan.

There's an Nvidia service that they're basically streaming the highest end computers to you.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce-now/memberships/
(Prices have dropped, they wanted something $100 a month last year....seems to me)

Really that's all Stadia and Luna were/are.
You are streaming their computers/servers.
I was streaming Cyberpunk to my 5 year old cellphone or anything else that had chrome, worked great.

4b35283ace4ed040b0b6ecb3a83ea3b6.jpg