Microsoft expected to go multi platform

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
More people should play Hi-Fi Rush.
I imagine they realized how many people would buy it on PS5 and Switch and they just saw dollar signs. Now they're having to publicly walk some of it back.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Yeah, there's nothing I want on that side anyway so, shrug

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
I think the best move MS could make is just release Windows for the series X|S.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I find not owning useless stuff works well there. But then, I don't even own a PC.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
The last PlayStation that wasn't a standard PC was the PS3.
I recall the US Dept of Defense connected over 1000 of them to make a super computer back in the day.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Now Sony is saying the PS5 had disappointing sales and it's entering the latter part of its lifecycle. PS4 was a skip for me. PS6 probably will be too.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
I recall the US Dept of Defense connected over 1000 of them to make a super computer back in the day.
The only supercomputer that died the YLOD. :keke:

Cell was ahead of its time but multiplatform games often ran better on the 360 because it was easier to program.
Cell was kind of wasted so the PS became a PC like the Xbox from day 1.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
mmm about half way through the ps3's life the cell was definitely doing stuff the 360 had no fucking chance doing

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
so the PS became a PC like the Xbox from day 1.

Sure, the OG Xbox was a Pentium 3 PC, the 360 was the total opposite of a PC, used a fancy custom PowerPC 950-like CPU. Curious that the PSWii360 were all PowerPC derivatives.

fake

15 Year Member
The only supercomputer that died the YLOD. :keke:

Cell was ahead of its time but multiplatform games often ran better on the 360 because it was easier to program.
Cell was kind of wasted so the PS became a PC like the Xbox from day 1.
Cell was incredible – and completely wasted (other than folding@home). PS3 could likely compete with today's CPUs - if anyone was autistic enough to get the full potential out of it.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
There shouldn't be a single multiplatform game that looks better on the 360. Pretty sure you know what I meant.

Edit: fake got it :)

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Now Sony is saying the PS5 had disappointing sales and it's entering the latter part of its lifecycle. PS4 was a skip for me. PS6 probably will be too.
Sony missed their sales target is all. (21 million in 2023 fiscal years vs a targer of 25.) It's still a strong-selling console at around a total of 50 million units sold so far. Microsoft would kill to have these problems.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Sony missed their sales target is all. (21 million in 2023 fiscal years vs a targer of 25.) It's still a strong-selling console at around a total of 50 million units sold so far. Microsoft would kill to have these problems.

They probably over estimated based on demand during the covid era.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Sure, the OG Xbox was a Pentium 3 PC, the 360 was the total opposite of a PC, used a fancy custom PowerPC 950-like CPU. Curious that the PSWii360 were all PowerPC derivatives.

Umm…

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
They probably over estimated based on demand during the covid era.
Damn, that was like two years ago, but I know what you mean. The company I work for is still figuring out demand in the post covid era. The sad thing is Sony wasn't that far off, but they'll probably use this as justification for layoffs.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Umm…

Yeah, the final Xenon CPU in the Xbox 360 is not a 1:1 PowerPC 950 aka PowerPC G5, it's a derivative with some changes.

Like the GameCube, Wii and Wii U , their CPUs are not exact PowerPC 750 chips (aka PowerPC G3), they have some changes and differences.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
A few thoughts,

Xbox has been one blunder after the next since the 360 era. It's really surprising they've managed to hold on to any market share. Game Pass is the only thing noteworthy in the last decade.

Sony doesnt really have a clue either, but they are smart enough to pivot every time Xbox team makes a massive mistake.

The console era is dying anyways. I'd rather not have the hardware market be Sony and Nintendo, but so be it if that happens. I'll stay on my PC regardless.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
A few thoughts,

Xbox has been one blunder after the next since the 360 era. It's really surprising they've managed to hold on to any market share. Game Pass is the only thing noteworthy in the last decade.

Sony doesnt really have a clue either, but they are smart enough to pivot every time Xbox team makes a massive mistake.

The console era is dying anyways. I'd rather not have the hardware market be Sony and Nintendo, but so be it if that happens. I'll stay on my PC regardless.
That's not fair. It was "one blunder after the next" offset by a lot of good decisions too. The Xbox 360 launched with a very strong UI and online offerings, which Sony was playing catch up with that entire generation. Not to mention the hardware proved to be far more developer-friendly than the PS3, leading to better versions of cross-platform games.

The 360 succeeded in spite of the major blunders because of the things the console got right (and some things Sony got wrong didn't hurt either).

Phil Spencer also did the best anyone could've to right the ship of the Xbox One after the poor launch.

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
The RROD scandal was one hell of a massive money pit for Microsoft. I don't think it takes a Silicon Valley business executive to see that Microsoft didn't really profit from that business venture. They won the battle with the PS3, lost money in the long run to do it.