theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Tyranix,

Read what rcantor researched:

Feb-21 14:16 - $105.00 - 1 bid
Feb-17 12:55 - $117.50 - 6 bids
Jan-17 14:42 - $115.00 - 1 bid

What is odd is if you look at the completed BIN sales as many are lower than the auctions:

Feb-16 08:49 - $149.97
Jan-06 23:15 - $65.00
Dec-27 04:31 - $100.00

A few others have been selling for those prices also in the forum. The fact you got it for a good price is great for you. Only 20% of people will be able to buy at under matket price value most of the time, 10%over it and the rest somewhere on the money.

Doesn't matter if your selling Magician Lord, property, stocks, flowers, fish, iron ore ANYTHING. It's the same thing over and over, once a median price becomes established that is the market price. If all of a sudden 1000 magician lord carts are found in a storage shed somewehre and become available, the price will plummet. Until then, as there are less and less in circulation and the demand site holds up the price will climb.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
If you're willing to pay LOTS of money for something--like ML, or SS1, or any loose MVS cart for that matter--then that is what the item is worth it to you. And if the item is not worth much then you should have no trouble finding it. Actually, you should have people bringing it to you if you're paying the PREMIUM+ price.

BUT, you can have 'most anything at the price you want it: You just have to be willing to search for it.

Here is a $10 ML cart, posted Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:24 pm.:
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=43796&p=860540&hilit=Magician+lord#p860540

Last edited:

theMot

10 Year Member
Tyranix,

Let's do an experiment. That Magician lord cart you have, put it on Ebay or for sale on the forum and see if you have trouble selling it for $100. If it sells in under a week for $100 thats all the evidence you need.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Thank you, but no thank you. I do not keep extra NEO carts. I sell them. And usually for about NG/JNX Prices. (Sometimes less.) And I do not collect dupes (extra copies). I let other members grab these. I don't want to horde carts. But, I find your proposition interesting. So, if I come across another ML cart, we'll cross that bridge then, and see what happens.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
wow and it was a jp ML on the shmups forum, I don't really ever see those.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
The replies seem to indicate people tried to buy stuff in that shmups topic, however I don't see any feedback applied to that user (good or bad). I have to wonder if any of the sales actually went through.

Although, yea, it's interesting to see how many days it sat there with no replies.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
There is more Neo Geo stuff for sale and selling on Ebay right now then there is available on every website and retro games shops in the whole world. It's significant.

The fact you can get a lot of the stuff cheaper here if your patient is a moot point. It's like saying my friend who is a builder can build me a house cheaper then if I went to a commercial builder to do it. It's not a fair gauge of what it's really costing to do it.

You just described supply and demand, not market value. If you have an itchy hand to buy things then you will tend to pay higher prices regardless of what market value is.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Tyranix,

Let's do an experiment. That Magician lord cart you have, put it on Ebay or for sale on the forum and see if you have trouble selling it for $100. If it sells in under a week for $100 thats all the evidence you need.

So if I sell an SSVS mint kit for $100, that's the new value?

theMot

10 Year Member
You just described supply and demand, not market value. If you have an itchy hand to buy things then you will tend to pay higher prices regardless of what market value is.

Yes, supply and demand establishes market value

theMot

10 Year Member
So if I sell an SSVS mint kit for $100, that's the new value?

Take the last 10 sales of SSVS mint kits or items of similar rarity, establish the MEDIAN value and Robert's your dads brother.

Last edited:

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Ebay is just price fixing. The one time you don't see a buy it now it is a open auction where two dumb people bid before days before the auction ends and get in a pissing contest.

What is happening to Magician Lord and many other retro games is speculation on what is hype from money grabbers. It happened to Earthbound, it happened to Hagane on SNES, and it has happened to other countless things. Add in newbs who have more money than sense and you see what is happening now all across the board on video game collecting.

Ebay buyers have no logic. All the buy it nows on there that are decent are scooped by resellers and the ones that are left are ridiculous. I see many buy it nows relisted over and over even if someone bought it.

On a related note, I've seen someone at open auction bid $25 on a used fan they could've bought brand new at walmart for $15. The buyer was ignorant just like a lot of these ebay buyers.

The best we can hope for is another recession so Joe Six pack has to get milk money for the baby. Either that or people attain some patience in buying stuff.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
But I want to have my complete MVS collection NOW. Waiting isn't fun, the NGX showed me that I can get everything I want as long as I have a credit card and zero patience.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Yes, supply and demand establishes market value

Mot: How do you know when the market is overvaluing or undervaluing an item--like ML?

I'm sure those who bought ML at $100 would like to know if they can sell it someday for either $50 or $150.

I can remember a time, not too long ago, when comic and baseball collectors were buying all sorts of pulp saying their shits worth a FORTUNE--and now it aint worth a fart.

theMot

10 Year Member
Tyranix, what I have been explaining doesn't just apply to ML, this is how I view any commodity I buy.

Mot: How do you know when the market is overvaluing or undervaluing an item--like ML?

You have to look at the history of what something is selling for. If overall we can see the prices rising across the board, hop on. Ideally you want to buy as much under the "market price" as you can so you can hedge your bets a little and exit with a buffer if things drop.

I'm sure those who bought ML at $100 would like to know if they can sell it someday for either $50 or $150.

Before you invest, investigate. Is this just a fad? Will someone find a hoard of what it is im buying and lower the price? Hard to say. I think in the medium term prices will continue to rise. Longer term I see prices dropping as we get older, die off and no one cares any longer for these games. People who were not around back then don't have the emotional attachment the newer people do. Happens a lot in different hobbies.

I can remember a time, not too long ago, when comic and baseball collectors were buying all sorts of pulp saying their shits worth a FORTUNE--and now it aint worth a fart.

It's a fad, people get over it, move on etc. Cards of all sorts were a big deal 10-20 years ago, not so much anymore though.

For the record I don't collect games for any monetary gain, mostly for the reasons outlined above. If people think they are making money out of games they are only fooling themselves. You think a AES games is expensive at $500? It's not. Don't forget, someone paid $200 for it 20 years ago. If they had of put that $200 in the right blue chip stock back then they could have likely quadroupled it by now. That games hasn't kept pace with inflation and is actually worth less now than what someone paid for it
back then...

If you add up the price of what every American released AES game cost when it came out then work out what it would cost to buy them all now you would be behind when you factor in inflation. At best maybe break even. A foolish investment if your trying to make money or hoarding them for some perceived future gain.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Take the last 10 sales of SSVS mint kits or items of similar rarity, establish the MEDIAN value and Robert's your dads brother.

Without ebay median price is $50, $48 to be exact. Including ebay with no bid wars it is $61, including bid wars it is $70.

Still not $100 with your "median" price.

theMot

10 Year Member
Without ebay median price is $50, $48 to be exact. Including ebay with no bid wars it is $61, including bid wars it is $70.

Still not $100 with your "median" price.

I don't follow what your saying here James. How much are people saying it's worth? I have no idea.

Is that the median price you worked out? Because that would discount the bid war.

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Any person buying games nowadays believing they are creating an investment is a fool, and I personally hope they lose their ass in the long run, I hope they cry "But, but, I paid 300 for this game 2 years ago!!!! Why is it only 'worth' 50 now?!?!" Because you are an idiot that thought that you could make money off of someone from your simple idea of greed.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
You're not a bad guy, mot. You're cool.

But eBay is not a good place for new guys to be buying games.

One way or another: most sellers will either encourage bid/buyers to either over bid or over pay for an item.

Yeah, there are still some good deals to be found every once in a while, but not as many as there were when the place first started up. Too many eBay fees and greedy sellers. The place is almost always on the HI+ side of things.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-RARE-C...964?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27cef48d2c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Capcom-The-...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Just find a game you like--Message the seller--Ask them How Much. I pretty sure you get a response along the lines of: Well, since my item is worth a fortune (according to either eBay or CL), and since I'm selling it on eBay and there are a million people are watching it waiting to buy it: It's worth [a billion dollars]. And you're going to either have to bid BIG if you want to win it or make me an offer I can't refuse.

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Look at the bright side. At least the prices for Neo Drift Out and Flip Shot has plummeted on ebay. Prices here in the market forums are much higher.

N30_G30_speed

Angel's Love Slave
Is it possible the same is happening with "the super spy" and "Nam1975" I've been trying to get a copy of these games for a couple of months now but it seems impossible to do without going over the $60 line, have these two suffer a price bump lately or is it that they've always been not-so-cheap games?

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Find someone with multiple copies: And ask them to sell you one for a reasonable price.

Or just wait for someone to move on, get into something else, and cash out.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Patience is key. I used to see cheap MVS carts on ebay australia but now it's sky rocketed. Fuck them I say. Who the fuck sells KOF'99 loose carts for $150?

Neo Yahtzee

Banned , racist pedophile and admitted statutory r
I just sold my copy for $80 shipped. Surprised the shit outa me but an item is worth what people are willing to pay for it.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Is it possible the same is happening with "the super spy" and "Nam1975" I've been trying to get a copy of these games for a couple of months now but it seems impossible to do without going over the $60 line, have these two suffer a price bump lately or is it that they've always been not-so-cheap games?

yeah, even five years ago i remember it being difficult to find nam at a decent price. loose cart, i believe all of them should really be in the 40 to 50 range, but as supply and demand fluctuates...

8man's another game from that era that seems hard to find, and when it does show up, it's always a little bit more expensive than usual.

PS i fucking love magician lord

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy

I can sell you a nam cart for 50 shipped but the label doesn´t look good at all. (assuming you´re in europe?)
Works fine, should be original pcbs and all that. Basically, you´ll want to print out a repro label if you buy this. pics if you want too.

Last edited: