magician lord mvs rare?

mr aize

Dodgeball Yakuza
So i've been looking for a copy for a few months now an no luck... Says in the price guide that it's a common cart but is that not the case, or is it just a game that no one ever wants to sell?

Jonny l3lanka

Morden's Lackey
I think that the price guide reflects the market a few years ago as prices seem to have gone up and carts are getting rarer.. not sure about magician lord but I managed to score one locally :)

Your other point is probably valid also, people holding onto their games and not willing to sell..

mr aize

Dodgeball Yakuza
To be fair, didn't expect the price guide to be accurate about the prices, just the numbers of carts out there. Wouldn't have expected that to really change much over time, unless someone's going around sacking them... Always seems to be a surprising number of copies for the aes though, was it bundled with the console or something, or did someone find a container load?

ChrisB

Another Striker
To be fair, didn't expect the price guide to be accurate about the prices, just the numbers of carts out there. Wouldn't have expected that to really change much over time, unless someone's going around sacking them... Always seems to be a surprising number of copies for the aes though, was it bundled with the console or something, or did someone find a container load?

Hi, I recently saw magician lord on ebay for the MVS, it was just a loose english MVS cart nice label it was bundled with KOF 96, the KOF cart looked really tired. The seller wanted £60 + £8 P&P I nearly snagged it as I wanted magician lord but decided to leave it, it sold within 30 minutes of being listed.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
I know what you mean because I've been looking for a decent copy for quite some time myself. I refuse to pay $80 for this game though.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
I think alot of the early neo games in mvs format are showing up less and less these days, how often do you see nam-1975? crossed swords? robo army? super spy? ghost pilots? burning fight? hell even the the first sengoku hasn't really been around much (the second one is much more highly coveted) all of these are abundant in aes form.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Common as shit

yes.

just not getting sold as much. but yes. super common.

its not just that, there is a ton of brand new guys to neo who are willing to pay ANYTHING for whatever titles they can get. It is falsely inflating the market. They are not getting rarer- it's not like they disappear. They just are not turning up for sale as often. same goes for a lot of the more coveted commons.

my thought is ML is about to become the MVS version of earthbound. a non-rare that everyone wants and will pay stupid money for. its not actual value. its perceived panic value. If you want it, chill out and you will get one eventually- dont just hop on the first and most likely highest price one you can find.

Last edited:

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
This is a weird one as there are different ways of interpreting the term rare. Magician Lord is a common cart in as much as there are plenty of copies in circulation, the problem is that we are now at a time when there are alot of collectors and the games are being held onto. So although there are many numbers of the cart none are for sale.

You then have other games, where produciton numbers were very low and they are definitely to be considered rare.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
What makes me laugh is how the MVS bare cart regardless of condition is now selling for DOUBLE what the AES CIB cost :lolz:

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
And to think, when I bought my cab it came with a mint ML cart but I had no interest in it back then so I sold it. :hammer:

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
And to think, when I bought my cab it came with a mint ML cart but I had no interest in it back then so I sold it. :hammer:

I've played it briefly through various means in the past and never was too enthused by it, but after reading so many good things about the game and discovering other similar Neo Geo classics, I'd like to back and play it properly on my cab. Let's hope the availability increases and the prices deflate some.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
I have to wonder if the inclusion of Magician Lord on console SNK collections raised awareness to it (and consequently demand as well). There are lots of ways to play it, if someone just wants to play the game.

Kinda glad this isn't a game I have a lot of interest in.

Jonny l3lanka

Morden's Lackey
I have to wonder if the inclusion of Magician Lord on console SNK collections raised awareness to it (and consequently demand as well). There are lots of ways to play it, if someone just wants to play the game.

Kinda glad this isn't a game I have a lot of interest in.

To be fair the neo geo X kind of gave me that PUSH I needed to finally get into collecting neo geo.. I was always a fan ever since the arcade days but it wasnt until I discovered mame and started re-living all the games I never had enough cash to play as a kid :D I played all the kof and metal slug games to death! Always remember the neo games being the sexiest looking games on mame haha!

Then years later the neo x comes out..kind of flops.. and reminds me that I NEED to get into neo geo for real this time!!

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
So i've been looking for a copy for a few months now an no luck... Says in the price guide that it's a common cart but is that not the case, or is it just a game that no one ever wants to sell?

Ok, here's the BIG SECRET, for all you newbs out there.

Are you ready...

Most arcade items have PRECEIVED VALUE. Don't know what it is: Look it up.

So, whenever you're looking for something you can NEVER FIND IT and, when you do, then it usually COSTS A FORTUNE. But, whenever you're NOT looking for something you usually can find it all over the place and, when you do, then it usually does not cost a thing.

My advice to new arcade collectors: Avoid paying Top+ dollar for games--unless it's one of your Grail games and you absolutely have to have it. Collect whatever is cheap and fun. That way, you'll always have something fun to play and you'll never have to worry about losing lots of money on a deal when the hype crowd moves along.

And remember the words of the great philosopher Tyler: "Life is a Journey. Not a destination." The arcade and gaming industry made way more games than one man can collect and play in a lifetime. So, don't feel bad if you miss a few great games 'cause there is always another one right around the corner.

Last edited:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
It is a twenty-three year old game, though. Over time these things do start falling out of circulation. I agree there are plenty to go around, but people want Magician Lord on MVS and no matter what people want to say for it's value, what it is or isn't worth, in an open market where supply and demand are dictating, Magician Lord is going up in price. There is a boom of MVS collectors right now. That could get worse over time, or thin out. Hard to say. More people are collecting MVS right now, though, and prices are being driven up. I think too many people here have their head in the sand about how pricing works. It's one thing to sell it low to the community out of wanting to help the community thrive, but you can't pretend that people aren't willing to pay more for these carts and the only reason the prices are being kept low here is artificial.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
Just wait until we start seeing NGH -> MVS conversions of ML. :loco:
Ironically, I bought my MVS copy recently on a whim because it happened to be cheap.

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
It is a twenty-three year old game, though. Over time these things do start falling out of circulation. I agree there are plenty to go around, but people want Magician Lord on MVS and no matter what people want to say for it's value, what it is or isn't worth, in an open market where supply and demand are dictating, Magician Lord is going up in price. There is a boom of MVS collectors right now. That could get worse over time, or thin out. Hard to say. More people are collecting MVS right now, though, and prices are being driven up. I think too many people here have their head in the sand about how pricing works. It's one thing to sell it low to the community out of wanting to help the community thrive, but you can't pretend that people aren't willing to pay more for these carts and the only reason the prices are being kept low here is artificial.

Couldn't have said it better... everybody moans about eBay prices but the reality of it is that there are people willing to pay those prices... so I would agree that the market value is definitely higher than we see on here for alot of the games.

I have been on here for nearly a few years now and when I joined there was alot more interest in Home Carts which seems to have switched in the last year or so and there is definitely more MVS buyers out there nowadays... that is going to have a huge impact on the price.

mr aize

Dodgeball Yakuza
My original point wasn't actually about the price, but rather about whether or not it's still a common cart, since I never see it for sale... Anyways, recon a fair few spot on points have been made. Just interesting to me that this is one of the carts that seems to have shot up in price, shame, as it looks like fun, not worth silly money fun, but fun none the less...

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It's a common game just like Sengoku 2, it's just that people tend to keep them in their collections.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Just interesting to me that this is one of the carts that seems to have shot up in price, shame, as it looks like fun, not worth silly money fun, but fun none the less...

I wouldn't say $60-80 is silly money for a classic video game (or a new one for that matter). It's more than Magician Lord on MVS used to go for, but that's an ever-increasing trend in classic game collecting.

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Why is the mvs version rarer/more held into/harder to get than the aes version? You´d think there would be more people with aes than with arcade hardware.

Wookiemeat

Super Spy Agent
20 Year Member
Just bought this game from member neo-geo-mvs today for £35 inc postage, so it can be had for a reasonable price off decent members.