lot of SNK PLAYMORE news

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
YuSuKe:
JHendrix:
BTW, New hardware doesn't automatically mean 3D KOF. They know we (as in the majority of Neo fans) want 2D games, and they will deliver.

The Future is Now.
I'm sure people in here shall understand our point of view soon enough, JHendrix. :cool:
What? That new graphics will fix the gameplay slump that KOF has been in for the last few years?

Crovax

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
beelzebubble:
im not trying to join into this argument but this post seems a little off... the type of ppl who go into arcades and spend lots of money on fighting games and challenging are rarely interested in "eye catching graphics" as you call them. 2-d fighters at a high level are all about functional graphics and the oft mentioned "GAMEPLAY". otherwise kof wouldnt be regarded so highly and games like soul calibur 2 would be "more" popular.. dont you think?
first of all, I live in the US, so my concept of arcade goers is definitely different (most places I've been to have a lot of CvS2 and MvC2 players). anyway, yeah the people that plunk down a LOT of money are the very people you describe, but those people are also pretty much constants when it comes to marketing. they'll probably plunk down a lot of money on subsequent releases regardless (unless a game is particularly crappy of course). I was talking about what I perceive to be SNK Playmore's need to expand their market share a little bit, just to give them some breathing room (i.e. getting new gamers that might not have otherwise played their games), and not necessarily just in the arcade market. new hardware that's more compatible with home consoles would have the twofold effect of both better and better looking ports. in that regime, the box art and in-game graphics need to be eye-catching to get people to be interested.

YuSuKe

n00b
EvilWasabi:
JHendrix:

You disreguard the fact that it costs them more money to make a Neo game than it would an Atomiswave game. It's harder to make a Neo game than one on the Atomiswave (or any new hardware for that matter). You also disreguard the fact that Playmore would be much more successful on new hardware and selling the ports on PS2. It also makes no difference that SNK might become a household name again if they do things right.
Those aren't facts. They're just what you want to believe.

FACT: SNK did not perform well making fighting games on non MVS-centric hardware (meaning MVS and its fraternal twin, the home system).
That almost sounds like SNK did not perform well on ANYTHING at all. :rolleyes: This debate is getting repetitive from what I see here.

Damn the patriots, says Soldius Snake. :(

BTW, I like FF:Wild Ambition...-_-even if the polygon count isn't in par with Tekken 3's...

YuSuKe

n00b
Rade Kuruc:
YuSuKe:
JHendrix:
BTW, New hardware doesn't automatically mean 3D KOF. They know we (as in the majority of Neo fans) want 2D games, and they will deliver.

The Future is Now.
I'm sure people in here shall understand our point of view soon enough, JHendrix. :cool:
What? That new graphics will fix the gameplay slump that KOF has been in for the last few years?
And they say, "I'm a graphic whore!!!".

Face reality, I want a great franchise to become a BETTER game.... :rolleyes:

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
CAN YOU PLEASE STOP QUOTING THE ENTIRE POST WITH ALL THE PREVIOUS QUOTES??? THANKS

I see there are some different points of view here, and each one is correct in its own way.

Jimi, Charlie was not calling you "stupid" when saying that "average", you don't need to brag about your skills shame

In any case only time will tell who's right here... We just need to watch what does SNK do now and what the result, for good or bad, is.

And about the game specific discussions out here, GGX and GGXX are OK games but I don't really like them. Almost the same goes with CvsS 2, and I haven't been able to try it on-line. I love SC 1 & 2, best 3D fighting games ever.
And the best SF (and best 2D fighter ever, all other fighting games are still a pale copy of it) is Street Fighter 2 the World Warrior.

Darklighterx

J. Maximum Fan Club President
20 Year Member
LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADIESSSSS!!!!!!!!!

It's that time of the month again. :D

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
EvilWasabi:
Funny, I see the pics of you and ... uh huh. And the only thing above average is weight. But in the US, that's average too.

NJIT? What's that? Like Ralph's College, right?

How exciting.

Have fun shopping at IKEA.
Oh, come on, that was particularly low shame

Can't we just discuss politely, please? help

Rade K

20 Year Member
BC_Gambit:
Basically, for those who don't want a hardware upgrade, imagine if this was Slug 5:

<a href="http://www.coinopexpress.com/products/pcbs/atomiswave_system/Dolphin_Blue_3333.html" target="_blank">http://www.coinopexpress.com/products/pcbs/atomiswave_system/Dolphin_Blue_3333.html</a>

mmm... drool worthy.
Dear lord. No offence but I think what makes Metal Slug's graphics Cool (1,2,X,3) is the style. I love the style. It's proven beautiful and smooth. This Dolphin Blue looks homogonized and forgetable. With pure 2D, you are alloted the privaledge of creating a unique style( granted MS borrowed from Irem) whereas in 3D things these days seem to look the same.

BC_Gambit

Beni,
This has become one of the more personally insulting threads in a while.

No friends to be made here.... :)

Rade K

20 Year Member
YuSuKe:
Rade Kuruc:
YuSuKe:
JHendrix:

The Future is Now.

God, that makse no sense. HOw would better graphics make KOF any better? I'll give you the answer; it won't.

Pray for gameplay reform first.

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
EvilWasabi:
JHendrix:
Funny, you glanced over the whole part of it costing more to make a Neo game, and it being harder to find (as well as being expensive to get) good 68k developers.

As for my being "average", well let me put it this way.

I graduated with a Computer Engineering Degree with honors and a 3.5 GPA.

I also was on a full-merits scholarship for all 4 years that I had to attend school. I graduated with only paying for books and lab fees at school.

While maintaining my scholarship I worked two jobs simultaneously for the majority of my degree. The latter of those two jobs being at a large engineering firm with by my senior year I was doing my own products.

I've now graduated and was immediately hired by that firm, and not to toot my own horn but I make an above-average salary. I'm also only 21.

Now I'm not the smartest person in the world by any means, but I'd take it as a far cry to call myself "average". In fact I'd wager that I've achieved more academically and professionally at a younger age than you have achieved in your life. smirk
Funny, I see the pics of you and ... uh huh. And the only thing above average is weight. But in the US, that's average too.

NJIT? What's that? Like Ralph's College, right?

How exciting.

Have fun shopping at IKEA.
Funny, I'd like to see where you graduated from and what your grades were.

As for my schools credentials, it landed me a nice job at one of the largest engineering firms in the country where I probably earn more than you do in both jobs that you say you work at now. I'm also guessing that you have to work more than 40 hours in a week. Funny thing is I don't, and if I do it's time and a half.

And you're what? 27?

At that age I'll have a Masters degree and be making far more than you even if you do somehow manage to get your dumb ass into Law school.

I say dumb ass because only someone who knows they have a weak mind would be "afraid to compete" with the volume of law students who were in school in 97-98.

YuSuKe

n00b
It doesn't matter who's right or who's wrong. I'm all in for something NEW.

The most important thing I'm interest in a fighting game is the high level play and that's my big reason to looking forward to SNKvCapcom:Chaos instead you fuckers bitch about the lack of bread and butter. I say, SAVE THE BREAD AND BUTTER FOR THE SEQUEL!

What more characters you want than taking off the mainstays?¬_¬

I didn't bitch about the graphics, but for a MVS hardware, this game has one intro animation that makes Capcom's Third Strike and CvS 2 intro looks like it's made of paper and pen!

That's right, I'm serious that the MVS hardware still has some bit of lifespan inside them. But, sooner or later, it's time to move on.

Gentlemen, the majority of gamers all over the video game community believes fighting games are a dying breed now. Believe it or not, fighting games will be lost in existence when FPS(Which are just like fighters in popularity, but in different concepts) like Half-life 2 and Halo 2takes the majority by storm.

Boy, do I sound dumb?! My intelliegent is always questionable and getting overlook as a common idiot due to my past days as SilentNinja the notorious flamer/Troll... :rolleyes:

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
YuSuKe:
EvilWasabi:
JHendrix:

You disreguard the fact that it costs them more money to make a Neo game than it would an Atomiswave game. It's harder to make a Neo game than one on the Atomiswave (or any new hardware for that matter). You also disreguard the fact that Playmore would be much more successful on new hardware and selling the ports on PS2. It also makes no difference that SNK might become a household name again if they do things right.
Those aren't facts. They're just what you want to believe.

FACT: SNK did not perform well making fighting games on non MVS-centric hardware (meaning MVS and its fraternal twin, the home system).
That almost sounds like SNK did not perform well on ANYTHING at all. :rolleyes: This debate is getting repetitive from what I see here.

Damn the patriots, says Soldius Snake. :(

BTW, I like FF:Wild Ambition...-_-even if the polygon count isn't in par with Tekken 3's...
That's fine that you like FFWA, but you can see that it wasn't on par with Tekken 3, and that in and of itself crippled the game in the arcade scene. I went to Japan 7 months after FFWA was released, and it was nowhere to be found. Basically, it was that poorly recieved. However, KoF 98 was still playing at every arcade, as was Last Blade 2 and of course MotW not too long after.

You see, SNK could make 2D games like no one else - on Neo Geo Hardware.

Relearning takes money. Why bother with the Atomiswave if it means relearning for a system that will be dropped in a year. Then relearn on something else? More money. The MVS still does an excellent job, and SNK never had to pay royalties/licensing to make a game on it.

They didn't have to hunt down programmers - they already had them.

And if you want to listen to Ben Herman, than you should believe that they still have a lot of those programmers.

So.

I don't trust SNK with the Samurai Shodown franchise anymore. Not after they allowed Nakoruru and Warriors Rage 2 to be made. And especially not after SSIV.

If I was making the game, I wouldn't make it on the Neo Hardware because that's not my forte.

It's SNK's forte.

Get it? Got it? Good.

X

Y,
Last Balde 2 looks better then GGXXX3!

<small>[ July 11, 2003, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: X ]</small>

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
JHendrix:
Funny, I thought you read all my posts and already knew that I went to Carnegie Mellon University.

Must be a breach of memory on your part.

Along with my age, which you should know after reading my posts.

And why it would be easier to get into grad school during the dot com bubble and not after.

And of course you could probably figure out how much I make by reading what I have... And even what I sold to improve on what I have...

It's not that hard for a guy who graduated with a 3.5 from an anonymous state school.

YuSuKe

n00b
Rade Kuruc:
YuSuKe:
Rade Kuruc:
YuSuKe:
JHendrix:

The Future is Now.

God, that makse no sense. HOw would better graphics make KOF any better? I'll give you the answer; it won't.

Pray for gameplay reform first.
What kind of gameplay reform? A new MAX mode system as cheesy as the A-groove Sakura? Lets see, *Does Ryo's koho uppercut juggle 5 hits and cancel it to Ryuko ranbu* Are you a serious fighting game player, Rade?

lol

We still have the traditional gimmick of Extra and advance mode super gauge system and short jump rushdowns. annoyed

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Come on, stop this I-am-a-better-student-than-you-so-I-am-a-superior-life-form you two

By the way, what's wrong in shopping at Ikea? It's cheap and fucntional, what else do you need? OK, you prefer to spend a shitload of money in a 17th century furniture, because it is more "beatiful", "collectible", and only a few "selected" people can afford it shame . It's like the MVS and the AES... :rolleyes:

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
first of all, I live in the US, so my concept of arcade goers is definitely different (most places I've been to have a lot of CvS2 and MvC2 players). anyway, yeah the people that plunk down a LOT of money are the very people you describe, but those people are also pretty much constants when it comes to marketing. they'll probably plunk down a lot of money on subsequent releases regardless (unless a game is particularly crappy of course). I was talking about what I perceive to be SNK Playmore's need to expand their market share a little bit, just to give them some breathing room (i.e. getting new gamers that might not have otherwise played their games), and not necessarily just in the arcade market. new hardware that's more compatible with home consoles would have the twofold effect of both better and better looking ports. in that regime, the box art and in-game graphics need to be eye-catching to get people to be interested.
i agree with you that if snk wanted to get more gamers who are attracted by eye candy then they should move onto new hardware... maybe even have a go at a 3-d kof. but do we really need them to do that??

i dont think so, if they did they would be just like namco and similar companies. they would start to put equal effort into graphics rather than concentrating on the gameplay. im not bashing namco i am just trying to make a point that snk would do better (for me at least) to stay niche and relatively profitable.

that way the mainstream gamers can have 3-d namco and love it while the niche gamers can have 2-d snk and love it.

if snk goes 3-d then inevitably their "less" profitable 2-d stuff woill stop getting produced at some point in time. that is think is irrefuteable, look at capcom and streetfighter (or any of their 2-d fighting franchises) they have all but given up on them and are concentrating on "3-d" and the mainstream. great for those that like their new direction but not for those who miss the old 2-d days of 93-98...

i think a mix is best with snk handling the niche 2-d fighting market...

YuSuKe

n00b
Man, why would people still be afraid??? *end of stupid inconsistent "I don't want Neo games on inferior ports/new hardware" debate*

Crovax

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
beelzebubble:
i agree with you that if snk wanted to get more gamers who are attracted by eye candy then they should move onto new hardware... maybe even have a go at a 3-d kof. but do we really need them to do that??

i dont think so, if they did they would be just like namco and similar companies. they would start to put equal effort into graphics rather than concentrating on the gameplay. im not bashing namco i am just trying to make a point that snk would do better (for me at least) to stay niche and relatively profitable.

that way the mainstream gamers can have 3-d namco and love it while the niche gamers can have 2-d snk and love it.

if snk goes 3-d then inevitably their "less" profitable 2-d stuff woill stop getting produced at some point in time. that is think is irrefuteable, look at capcom and streetfighter (or any of their 2-d fighting franchises) they have all but given up on them and are concentrating on "3-d" and the mainstream. great for those that like their new direction but not for those who miss the old 2-d days of 93-98...

i think a mix is best with snk handling the niche 2-d fighting market...
I can see, and agree with a lot of what you have to say. I mean, after the SF EX games, the thought of a KOF with 3D gameplay is just bleh. However, from my perspective, it seems like SNK Playmore has hit the wall with MVS hardware, but the limitations of the 2D medium have not yet been fully explored. i guess the main point i'm trying to make is that i think if any company could finally push 2D to its limits, it would be SNK Playmore, but it feels like they can't because of aging hardware. I know it is a bad example, since it is 2D game play using polygons, but look at Shin Contra. that has to be the most beautiful game with 2D gameplay that I've ever seen. the level of detail it has makes me wonder what SNK Playmore could achieve given better hardware.

I don't want them to become mainstream, but at the same time, I want them to be more successful. I could be completely off-base, but ever since their reorganization, it seems like they are barely making it by, and I don't want one of my favorite companies to die. there are a lot of 2D gamers still out there, but many are turned off to the very dated looking graphics. I just think that SNK Playmore could achieve this increased success if they were able to bring some of these people around.

Tenshokyaku

King's Dry Cleaner
Amano Jacu:
Come on, stop this I-am-a-better-student-than-you-so-I-am-a-superior-life-form you two
Thank you!

Personal attacks on someone because of their opinion of a video game sure makes you sound educated now doesn't it? oh_no

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
I don't really understand why something that a "majority" of people like has got to be necessarily bad... I agree it's all a matter of tastes, and that we must save the variety, I mean not everything should be mainstream, but it is just ridiculous the levels at some of you are taking this to...

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Amano Jacu:
By the way, what's wrong in shopping at Ikea? It's cheap and fucntional, what else do you need? OK, you prefer to spend a shitload of money in a 17th century furniture, because it is more "beatiful", "collectible", and only a few "selected" people can afford it shame . It's like the MVS and the AES... :rolleyes:
<a href="http://www.roche-bobois.com/" target="_blank">http://www.roche-bobois.com/</a>
Welcome to my apartment.

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
EvilWasabi:
JHendrix:
Funny, I thought you read all my posts and already knew that I went to Carnegie Mellon University.

Must be a breach of memory on your part.

Along with my age, which you should know after reading my posts.

And why it would be easier to get into grad school during the dot com bubble and not after.

And of course you could probably figure out how much I make by reading what I have... And even what I sold to improve on what I have...

It's not that hard for a guy who graduated with a 3.5 from an anonymous state school.
Unfortuneately no, I didn't know where you went to school. Apparantly you knew exactly where I went, because you read all my posts.

And if you weren't so dumb you'd realize your age was in your profile which is a click away.

Carnegie eh? Not too bad, but there are better schools in the area. As for my "anonymous state school" it got me a job I'm happy with and I'd say that counts as to how good of a school it was. I also did it in 4 years, how long'd you take?

And if you're so "above average" then what difference would it make to you when you tried to get into Law school? If you're so good then you shouldn't have any troule getting in, especially if you're grades were so great.

And as for knowing what you make, I don't. I do know you've mentioned you work two jobs which means you're proabably working more hours than I am, and it also could mean that you probably weren't making all that much at your primary job so you had to take a second one. That or you couldn't find a full-time position somewhere and lord knows part time jobs don't pay anywhere near as much as a full time one does.

Either way it makes no difference, you can go on calling me average or think I'm dumb. You can also think that staying with the MVS is the best thing for SNK to do. But like with anyone who takes LSD, what they think and what reality is are two very different things. smirk

PS. Sorry for the little battle Amano, I just don't appreciate being called average and then dumb after working my ass off for the past 4 years. I'll stop now, I promise. :)

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
EvilWasabi:
<a href="http://www.roche-bobois.com/" target="_blank">http://www.roche-bobois.com/</a>
Welcome to my apartment.
Wow, so do you shop there? And does that make you feel superior to the mortal people who don't have that much money (or prefer to save it) and shop in the pagan Ikea? oh_no