i am sure we'd prolly get along and all if we met

BUT

to come here and pray for the mvs hardware to die

because you're a next-gen systems fanboy

and want a shitty fake 3d kof

well,thats something idiotic to say the very least

BC_Gambit

Beni,
But Fran, praying for the MVS hardware to die... is like praying for SNK to survive and make new games.

If you want SNK to survive, they'll have to go to a new hardware format at some point. I can't say I'll be happy to see the MVS to go, but at the same time new games will be exciting.

Look at RoTD... its a decent enough fighting game, but when I plugged it in I was surprised at how old the game looked even by MVS standards. It could have been released any time in the last 5-7 years, I would think.

New hardware excites me, I guess that's kind of a taboo for some, but that's okay. As long as the games keep coming, I'm happy.

Tenshokyaku

King's Dry Cleaner
I don't think it's that bad to wish for upgrades, but the chances of a 2D fighting game series making any type of decent move into the 3D arena is hopeless at best. The characters will never look right, and the play mechanics will never capture the spirit of the 2D games that came before. No 2D fighting franchise has ever succesfully made the jump to 3D. I personally believe that Playmore needs to keep their fighting game series 2D, even if they move to new systems, which as painful as it may be for some, is not very far away.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I'm confused now ...... magic-box says the KOF 2001 with 3D background is for PS2 and didn't mention anything about an arcade version ...... <a href="http://www.the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm" target="_blank">http://www.the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm</a>

Playmore announced that the PlayStation 2 port of The King of Fighter 2001 will have revised 3D backgrounds not found in the arcade MVS version. The game will be released in Japan on September 18, for 6800 yen.
also, notice that the PS2 version is in development for a long time and this might be the reason. I really hope that Playmore won't dump the MVS

MVS = 2D

Tridagger X

Geese's Thug
xFinnPetersx:
*edit: has anyone heard anything or seen any write-ups of <a href="http://www.coinopexpress.com/products/pcbs/atomiswave_system/Demolish_Fist_Kit_3179.html" target="_blank">Demolish Fist</a> (the "3d" beat-em-up on atomiswave).
there's a female character in Demolish Fist named Vanessa?
now i've seen everything.

xFinnPetersx

Crazed MVS Addict
Tridagger X:
xFinnPetersx:
*edit: has anyone heard anything or seen any write-ups of <a href="http://www.coinopexpress.com/products/pcbs/atomiswave_system/Demolish_Fist_Kit_3179.html" target="_blank">Demolish Fist</a> (the "3d" beat-em-up on atomiswave).
there's a female character in Demolish Fist named Vanessa?
now i've seen everything.
and/or you've seen enough to(/to want to) buy it.

... or not.

she has <a href="http://www.coinopexpress.com/screenshots/_7980.html" target="_blank">red hair</a> too. Undead looks alot (from that picture's angle) like cool from Daraku Tenshi. Enzo kinda looks like MR. Big without the coat/fur/fur coat. the other dude apparently has Jin(and/or kazuya)'s fire jacket on. obviously orignal ideas abound at sammy. but i'm sure it's a fine game (guess guess guess). somebody should figure out who developed it (rather than published). it may be sammy, but yeah...

kanjifreak

Sakura's Bank Manager
I think that many people won't realize that an Epoch is almost done.

The guys that don't want a hardware upgrade are like the dude's back in the 60's talking shit about disco music...

Don't take me wrong, 3D sucks... but 2D on a more powerful system excels...

Evolution, dudes, just evolution...

eye eye

<small>[ July 10, 2003, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: kanjifreak ]</small>

kanjifreak

Sakura's Bank Manager
crying

<small>[ July 10, 2003, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: kanjifreak ]</small>

Orochi_Flava

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Kof on new arcade hardware...

Port over the fighting engine to the new hardware... rescan all the character art in high res and add a few frames if you are too lazy to redraw a sprite, get a good music composer and hopefully we can get a new kof that looks incredible and keeps it's magic feel.

As for the MVS... for a $400 cart, they can easily put in a new chip to improve graphics and effects. We also have 14 years of great games to look back on and still play for years to come.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
A 3D KOF is like replacing chip dip with gasoline.

The 2d on 3d bg's thing is a very bad move. SNK would not mess with a established series like that.

The lesson was learned when hyper bailed out.
When are they going to realize they do not have a mass audience anymore?, its extremely cult.
SNK will never find appeal with the mainstream crowd that outnumbers us all.

I sincerely hope this is bullshit. KOF is the type of series thats not meant for 3d.

I hated evo btw.

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
JHendrix:
KOF2k3 on Atomiswave.... buttrock

If it's true, I will shed a tear of joy.
<a href="http://www.ign.com" target="_blank">http://www.ign.com</a>

IDIOT :rolleyes:

Devil_Gans

Bu, ,
They can do whatever they want to the BGs or the colors but I just hope that they don't change the gameplay and the timing of the combos like what they did to KOF 99: evo and KOF dream match 1999(KOF 98) on the DC.They don't feel the same unlike the arcade original.
I want the EXACT arcade gameplay and not some tweaked BS gone bad.

<small>[ July 10, 2003, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: Devil_Gans ]</small>

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
I'd rather have a 2D fighter on next gen systems.

A 3D KOF scares me a little bit, but at least it'd be going somewhere else and things might be different for a change.

That and if it's done in 3D but plays like a 2D fighter (it can be done, this is an area where cell-shading would be appropriate), then if it's a good game I say go for it.

As for wanting the MVS to die, well I look at it this way. The poor thing is like a sick old dog that's gone through more surgery and treatment to survive past it's time. I'd rather be humane and put it out of its misery than to keep pushing the old thing out into the park and making it do tricks in order to re-live old times.

I think that the 3D KOF is just what Ben Herman called it: an experiment. He said that they know they have a 2D fanbase. If they move to the Atomiswave and make 2D games on it, it would be incredible.

Next Gen 2D has got me pumped with all the possibilites. And if they do it right, they can stay 2D and attract the mainstream again.

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
JHendrix:

As for wanting the MVS to die, well I look at it this way. The poor thing is like a sick old dog that's gone through more surgery and treatment to survive past it's time. I'd rather be humane and put it out of its misery than to keep pushing the old thing out into the park and making it do tricks in order to re-live old times.
Are you really being serious?
trolling?

eek_2

<small>[ July 10, 2003, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: xtoo_short20x ]</small>

Devil_Gans

Bu, ,
KOF 2001 needs a facelift anyway.I am all for it.
But the question is, would playmore do a good job of it?
I hope so.

EDit:
Releasing the game for the arcades seem ridiculous as that game is old.They should focus on KOF 2003 instead.I think that 2001' with 3d BGs is probably for the PS2.

<small>[ July 10, 2003, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: Devil_Gans ]</small>

Metal Fatigue

Robert Garcia's Butler
3D backgrounds in a 2D game are horrid, i thought that was absolutely teh worst aspect of CVS2, blah.

xFinnPetersx

Crazed MVS Addict
NeoFight:
3D backgrounds in a 2D game are horrid, i thought that was absolutely teh worst aspect of CVS2, blah.
a bad aspect among bad aspects though. cvs1's 3d backgrounds (correct me if i'm wrong and they were in fact not 3d.) looked amazing. cvs2 sucks in general, and i don't find it fun in any major way, but the backgrounds (except for boring in concept but beautiful in execution windmill stage) are definetely the worst part. cvs1's are great though, mainly the dojo (in construction) stage and the car crash stage.

i thought evo's backgrounds were kinda novel and neat to look at. the intros were awesome but the stages themselves were just slightly more than cool.

i'm sure the ps2 or arcade upgrade will be a cool experiment to see. but probably not the best path vs. the obvious one of getting a new background team.

<small>[ July 10, 2003, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: xFinnPetersx ]</small>

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Those in the gaming world that don't progress and evolve die. Its just that simple, especially in today's world. As much as we all love the Neo-Geo and 2D gaming in general, if SNK Playmore doesn't, at the very least, move some of its 2D series to better hardware, they'll just crash and burn again. Its reality, no matter how much anyone hates it.

Remember when SNK was all about raising the bar with gameplay, graphics, and audio in the fighting genre? Now it seems like Sammy has taken that position, and SNK Playmore and its most hardcore fans are content in revelling in mediocrity. The Neo-Geo had a good run for 13 years. 13 YEARS!!! Most dogs don't even live that long! Its time to put her out to pasture, or at least lower production while giving some coverage on newer systems. If SNK Playmore doesn't, they're screwed. I for one would kill to see some high res KOF lovin', and maybe even a 3D KOF if they put the same amount of quality and effort they did in the two HNG64 Samurai Shodowns.

honeyman

Morden's Lackey
As humans, we all look out primarily for our own interests (it`s what keeps us alive) but some people are just greedy!

You can have love for the Neo Geo, but until you can hypnotise the masses to do your bidding then you have to consider that moving to upgraded hardware is the only way you can entice new gamers to play and make them join the regular Neo gamers :) .

If you`re happy to say "Neo forever!" even when it could go through it`s 2nd potential death then fine but I`m not that loyally blind (and I hope no-one else on this board is either wink !)

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Here's what pisses me off about Guilty Gear, it's a decent game, but not worth the hype.

If anyone in their right mind played a souped up KOF, Fatal Fury, Samurai Shodown, or Last Blade (a la Atomiswave graphics and sound), that ratty ass poor excuse for a 2D fighter would get creamed and I think SNK Playmore would start to make some good money.

2D would be saved!

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
Fran:

BUT

Doesn't the gameplay matter more than anything?

honeyman

Morden's Lackey
the roker:
Here's what pisses me off about Guilty Gear, it's a decent game, but not worth the hype.

If anyone in their right mind played a souped up KOF, Fatal Fury, Samurai Shodown, or Last Blade (a la Atomiswave graphics and sound), that ratty ass poor excuse for a 2D fighter would get creamed and I think SNK Playmore would start to make some good money.

2D would be saved!
The game`s okay but I`ll agree with you the roker as Guilty Gear XX has to many lengthy, unbreakable combos that you can`t do anything about and when a game becomes like that it loses it`s fun factor and you may as well not play. I appreciate that KOF still has the "You damage me a bit, then I get back up and let`s go at it again!" feel to it. No hugely lengthy combos thankfully (maybe :rolleyes: !)

<small>[ July 11, 2003, 01:21 AM: Message edited by: honeyman ]</small>

I`m all for hi-res 2D games....

Is there any hi-res 2D game other than Guilty Gear? (And not just fighters).

<small>[ July 11, 2003, 05:04 AM: Message edited by: Nostromo ]</small>

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
dmhawkmoon:
Fran:

BUT

Doesn't the gameplay matter more than anything?
yuou see,
people like you just can not understand

you bought a neo in 2001 or 2002
with slug 4
and you adore slug 4

so you obviously have no love for the 16-bit wonder

hendrix

similar to you

discovered snk games in 1999 through emulation

to you,they're just games like all the others

to me,
the neo and its games are something that cant be replaced