Laserdisc Collecting

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, I can't speak on the Laseractive, but on both of my machines the remote has an "Audio" button that will switch between the various audio tracks, and plays the same thing from all outputs regardless if it's digital, analog, etc.

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
Man, the other day I was going through my local thrift and they had some cool LDs (like Highlander!) but they wanted $6 a pop! Hopefully they are still around when 50% off day rolls around.

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
Japanese Evil Dead 2 is on the way :)

I just need 'Captain Supermarket' to complete the set.

I personally own The Elite Editions of Evil Dead 1 and the Blood Red Disc of Evil Dead 2 and also Captain Supermarket Japanese LaserDisc of Evil Dead 3, of course i own the Theatrical US Edition of Army of Darkness as well. Love those damn discs to death and the fucking behind the scenes on the Evil Dead 2 disc look so god damn good on the DVL-H9 I seriously near died of a heart attack! I still cannot believe how good the behind the scenes shit looks on LDs playing them on my 60" Panasonic 3DTV using composite and letting the DVL-H9 player to the rest. The color is so spot on accurate with this thing, and the damn clarity can only be bested by BluRay disc. It's just too bad that there were no more DTS discs produced after 1999, and the last Japanese movies made in 2000 are AC-3 at best. Movies like 8mm, The Beach, and Titan A.E. would have been awesome in DTS.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Wait, was Titan AE released on Laserdisc?

Because I love Don Bluth. Land Before Time 1, Secret of NIMH, All Dogs go to Heaven, Anastasia, An American Tail, Dragon's Lair, Space Ace... such a great animator.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Well, now I have to have it.

I think my copy of Phantom Menace is probably my most valuable Laserdisc at the moment.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
It's so rare, I have never seen it for sale. That's real rarity.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I personally own The Elite Editions of Evil Dead 1 and the Blood Red Disc of Evil Dead 2 and also Captain Supermarket Japanese LaserDisc of Evil Dead 3, of course i own the Theatrical US Edition of Army of Darkness as well. Love those damn discs to death and the fucking behind the scenes on the Evil Dead 2 disc look so god damn good on the DVL-H9 I seriously near died of a heart attack! I still cannot believe how good the behind the scenes shit looks on LDs playing them on my 60" Panasonic 3DTV using composite and letting the DVL-H9 player to the rest. The color is so spot on accurate with this thing, and the damn clarity can only be bested by BluRay disc. It's just too bad that there were no more DTS discs produced after 1999, and the last Japanese movies made in 2000 are AC-3 at best. Movies like 8mm, The Beach, and Titan A.E. would have been awesome in DTS.

I have the Blood Red disc too, I haven't actually watched that one yet, so I will have to check out the behind the scenes footage.

The Elite ED is the next one I'd like to find, I actually used to own the Elite DVD with the exact same cover back in the day. That was back when you couldn't get Evil Dead uncut here in the UK.

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
Japanese LDs had the most badass cover art. I used to have a Pioneer 909 back in the day.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Are there any other Laserdisc collectors here?

Laserdisc is kind of like Neo Geo for me, it's something I never had or could afford as a kid but always wanted.

I picked up a player a couple of years ago and have since collected a pretty impressive collection of Horror films. I have some other discs as well but it's mainly horror in my collection, I just love the big artwork, especially the Japanese discs.

Any other collectors of this dead format?

Laserdisc reminded me alot of neo geo too..something that was very exclusive with big artwork...i never knew anybody with a laserdisc so i find them interesting. Been on the lookout for one at goodwill stores

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
So you actually have a ton of options when it comes to Star Wars Laserdiscs....There were about 5-6 versions of each film. Most were minor changes as laserdisc quality improved over the years. The early ones are not great for many reasons. They are Pan and Scan video, and also early days of LD. Most people just ignore these ones unless you are a completist.

The definitive collection is nice to have if you find a good deal. I paid $25 for mine. It shouldn't be very costly. The problem is everything is printed on CAV discs for quality, so you'll be swapping discs like crazy. 9 discs for 3 movies. Fantastic quality, but it's a beast. Not really user friendly.

Faces has less interviews, and it's pressed in CLV format. So no freeze frame, but you don't have to ever swap. It's a single disc per movie. Wide Screen, THX, good sound. They are easy to identify as the cover is a giant face of a character.

• Then there's the Special Edition. This was the last set released for laserdisc. It has more modern composite features if you have good 3d comb filter or Faroudja equipment. It's a mix of CLV and CAV discs. Some movies did this were one side of the disc is CLV and the other is CAV. It allowed for freeze frame and higher quality of some scenes, usually at the end of a movie.

Another one that's worth tracking down is Ep1 Phantom Menace. Not released in the USA, but you can easily import from Japan. It sports DD EX 6.1 audio, amazing video transfer, and the original cut. later movies were again recut by lucas, which included DVD.

WHich is the best version of the star wars trilogy on laserdisc? Im looking to pick up an altered copy of it, so anything special edition wouldnt work for me

At this point...the only real reason why I still have a LD player is so that my daughter can watch the un-edited Star Wars trilogy.

This. I have a laserdisc player mainly to watch the THX enhanced versions - the last releases before the special editions. I also still like the sound that is produced from DTS laserdiscs. Before BD came along, they sounded so much better than the compressed Dolby Digital signal from DVDs.

Fakk2

Wait, was Titan AE released on Laserdisc?

Because I love Don Bluth. Land Before Time 1, Secret of NIMH, All Dogs go to Heaven, Anastasia, An American Tail, Dragon's Lair, Space Ace... such a great animator.

Yeah, it was one of the final LDs released in Japan from 20th Century FOX Video, (or Columbia Pictures), along with 8MM and The Beach. I used to own several of Titan AE on LD, but sold all but one of them years ago. I do love the movie, (same Don Bluth fan here), though which is why I bought so many, but when people offered me $350-$400 for each disc I could not pass that shit up considering I bought them for $60 each new only a year or two before hand.

Anyway, just so everyone knows, there is a guy from Japan right now selling his LD players on the bay and is selling the CLD-R7G and S9s, and I would SO MUCH advise grabbing an R7G if you get the chance, as I bought another since I lost that player, (It wound up with my uncle until he passed away), and I have been using my DVL-H9 since that time, and I just love both the H9 and R7G so much. The options on them to change the Y-NR, C-NR, NR, D-Level, 3D Y/C Separation Level, and Field or Frame Pause Still picture on both players is so damn tops! You just cannot get better players with more options than those 2 players. What do you expect though, the R7Gs came out in 1998 and were last made in 1999 just like the H9s. Some people somehow prefer the picture quality of the S9 or X9s but I tried them and I just dont see any real difference. I would seriously just recommend the R7G if you have the cash, and since they are so damn hard to find normally, now is the time to grab one.

Makes me wonder if it is N$A selling them on ebay? I never did find out what his name on ebay was when I bought his R7G many years ago.

Last edited:

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Today I received the SNK Laserdiscs that I ordered from Japan a couple of months ago...

They're all in really nice condition, along with the OBI strips.

I probably over did it buying 7, but they're really hard to come by and I got carried away, so if anyone is interesting in a few of these I'd be up for a trade or sale. Maybe I will just keep a few for the collection.

Fakk2

Today I received the SNK Laserdiscs that I ordered from Japan a couple of months ago...

They're all in really nice condition, along with the OBI strips.

I probably over did it buying 7, but they're really hard to come by and I got carried away, so if anyone is interesting in a few of these I'd be up for a trade or sale. Maybe I will just keep a few for the collection.

Hey, those are my LaserDiscs your displaying there. Seriously though I was watching them, and I love the little TV commercials of the games at the end of each disc! I always wanted those TV commercials in a high quality somehow, and what better way to view 480i content from the television in the 90s than transferred direct to a LaserDisc? Seriously bro, thank you for these 7 discs. I will cherish them, always! I am now attempting to acquire the rest of them somehow, as there is only 23 that exist, so it should not be too difficult to obtain them. It's just a matter of time I suppose. :) If you have any more of them, or if anyone else has these, let me know, and if they are mint like these were, I will take them off your hands. :)

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Hey, those are my LaserDiscs your displaying there. Seriously though I was watching them, and I love the little TV commercials of the games at the end of each disc! I always wanted those TV commercials in a high quality somehow, and what better way to view 480i content from the television in the 90s than transferred direct to a LaserDisc? Seriously bro, thank you for these 7 discs. I will cherish them, always! I am now attempting to acquire the rest of them somehow, as there is only 23 that exist, so it should not be too difficult to obtain them. It's just a matter of time I suppose. :) If you have any more of them, or if anyone else has these, let me know, and if they are mint like these were, I will take them off your hands. :)

I've only just spotted this reply. Glad they found a good home, Fakk. Good luck finding the rest, when I bought these I just missed out on the World Heroes disc which I really wanted at the time.

Back to laserdiscs, I haven't really bought much in a while. Partly due to having a lot of the discs I wanted and partly because I just haven't seen anything good around recently. I don't think I've bought a single disc so far this year :(

famicommander

15 Year Member
I'm still on the hunt for the episodes 43 & 44 and 45 & 46 of Deep Space Nine. Those are the ones I need to complete my seasons 1-2 sets and then I can get the rest of the seasons on DVD.

So if anyone happens to stumble across those two discs, please let me know.

My Star Trek sets are still all kinds of awesome, though. All of TOS, TAS, TNG plus all the moves through Insurrection.

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
LDs seem to be getting hot. Hopefully this summer when I have scoop money I can get some more. Ill post pics of my latest get later.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Anyone know where to buy a remote? Or a universal that can work all the functions?

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
I just got a new one. Is this for an older model or one of the dvd combo players?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Norton, if you have a Pioneer player the remotes are mostly interchangeable unless you have a DVL model. I got a used one off eBay for seven bucks for my industrial player that came with the comically large controller.

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
Wouldn't mind having some SNK shit in my collection.
Should I get some EVA shit for my LD player ?

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Norton, if you have a Pioneer player the remotes are mostly interchangeable unless you have a DVL model. I got a used one off eBay for seven bucks for my industrial player that came with the comically large controller.

Thanks.

My main reason is so that I can cycle through the audio outputs.

I actually have a Pioneer Elite Receiver Remote from the late, late 90's. I haven't even considered trying to program it for the Laserdisc.