Laserdisc Collecting

jeffensminger

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
Just got DS9 episodes 1-42, all sealed for 60$ shipped on Laserdisc

It's almost two complete seasons. Two other discs to track down, then I'll get the rest on DVD.

If anyone comes across DS9 episodes 43+44 and 45+46, let me know

Awesome. Where did you find that deal?

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Just scored the complete Star Trek Animated Series along with First Contact, and traded GohanX for Generations.

So now I really just need DS9 episodes 43-46, Insurrection, and the complete TOS.

famicommander

15 Year Member
God damn man

Just got Star Trek: The Original Series complete minus 3 discs (six episodes) for roughly 100 bucks shipped

am waiting on 3 separate best offers to be considered for the other three

never thought this collection would come together this quickly

So now I just need two more DS9 discs and Insurrection

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'll keep an eye out for you, but I hardly see either of those!

I just ordered a second LD player for the living room (my current one is in my office with the PVM.) It's a CLD-V2800, which isn't nearly as pimp, but it was cheap and it's small enough to fit in my entertainment center. Dude had a fairly high BIN on ebay, I offered $50 shipped and he took it :keke:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I first heard about the "Captain Supermarket" the other day. I lol'ed.

No pics, but I did grab some action movies from Duffsflix.com thanks to a sale the other week. It's ridiculous how cheap some of this stuff is.

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
I recently grabbed a new LD player at the thrift for about $15 and it's pretty awesome. Dual sided playing, built in jog wheel, and a crazy front that flips down like a car stereo so you can insert the LD. Tray is a bit sticky, but I will take a bit of time to look at it, i'm guessing it needs new grease on the rails/belt or something.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Probably. My DVL had some issues as well, cleaning it up and adding some grease made it work 100%.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
$15! Wow, that's a good price. Laserdisc players seem to be getting harder and harder to come by here in the UK. I picked mine up a couple of years ago for £50, which was a bargain. I've been looking out for a spare at a similar price ever since, but still haven't found one.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
They've always been hard to find here. The first time I saw a LD player was when I opened the box that mine came in. I did see LDs for sale in a store once when I as a kid visiting a larger town.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
They've always been hard to find here. The first time I saw a LD player was when I opened the box that mine came in. I did see LDs for sale in a store once when I as a kid visiting a larger town.

Same here actually, I've never seen a player in the wild.

famicommander

15 Year Member
My mom's best friend had one when I was a kid, but all we could afford was VHS. But she would bring it over whenever she got a cool new movie. Star Wars, Terminator 2, and Jurassic Park all blew me away, and I wanted a LaserDisc player from then on. They also had them at my elementary school and high school, but I didn't encounter one in the wild until like 2004.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I owned a laseractive a few years ago which I purchased on ebay bundled with like 50 movies and the sega pac. When I first saw a ld movie up close for the first time I thought it was the coolest thing. When I played a movie on it for the first time on my Wega I thought it looked ok but not good enough to make me want to buy more movies. I sold it off shortly after. If these ld players had rgb or component I would get back into ld's again.

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
I owned a laseractive a few years ago which I purchased on ebay bundled with like 50 movies and the sega pac. When I first saw a ld movie up close for the first time I thought it was the coolest thing. When I played a movie on it for the first time on my Wega I thought it looked ok but not good enough to make me want to buy more movies. I sold it off shortly after. If these ld players had rgb or component I would get back into ld's again.

Yeah that's the problem. LD video is natively composite so only like an extraordinary comb filter or something is going to make the video better than DVD. I've heard that the real benefit LD has is when it comes to the audio, but I'm very slow in getting a decent setup together to take advantage of that.

You can actually mod the LaserActive for RGB relatively easily from my understanding, it only benefits stuff coming from the PACs though, and if you try to play an LD game you're missing whatever video is normally played off the disc.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yea, I just found a few months ago that the rgb mod could be done on the Laseractive. Was bummed to find out that the movies would not run in rgb though.

To me Vinyl Records and LD's have that same nostalgia factor. The big difference is when you play a Vinyl Record on a good TT with a good cartridge they actually sound really good. Some might even argue that some original pressings sound better than some cd's. I even thought about hooking up a ld player to my framemeister to see if it would look good but I just can't see it looking better than being hooked up directly to a crt.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Are there any notable films/series/anime that are only available on Laserdisc?

For example, if you want to get the best quality version of Star Wars BEFORE Lucas decided to meddle in it, you have to go Laserdisc (or the DVDs, which are just the Laserdiscs with poor formatting)

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Razo, the ld player looks better on a good late model crt than a hd set with the Framemeister.

I've seen pics of players running through a good comb filter and a DVDO VP50 going to hd sets and the image is amazing. I keep looking for a deal on eBay but it hasn't happened yet.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I've just ordered some SNK laserdiscs! They're Japanese releases showing game footage, tips, etc. I have 7 of them on the way, KOF 95, 96 & 97, Fatal Fury 2, 3 & Special and Art of Fighting 2. I really wanted a World Heroes one that was up for sale but I was too slow and missed out on that one.

They're coming by slow boat, so a couple of months away, but when they do arrive I'll post some pics here.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Tracked down a copy of Star Trek: Insurrection.

Now all I need is episodes 43-46 of Deep Space Nine and I'll be all done with Star Trek on Laserdisc.

I have:
The Original Series, including the pilot and movies I-VI
The Animated Series
The Next Generation, including Generations, First Contact, and Insurrection
Deep Space Nine episodes 1-42

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Okay, I might just be retarded but I could use some help here. I just picked up Ghost in the Shell and on the case it says its bilingual with English on the digital channel and Japanese on the analog channel...I have a laseractive and I'm getting only english dubbed on all sound outputs (two sets of RCA jacks and the digital optical). The fuck is going on? It took me a while to figure out to get "subtitles" you have to turn closed captioning on at the TV end...

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I seem to remember having the same problem on my Laseractive. If memory serves correct on the CLD-D704 I now have I have to use the remote to actually switch the audio channels regardless of output used.

The LA is not a very good machine for actual LD playback.