Laserdisc Collecting

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
I found the SCART output pretty good, and it definitely didn't feel like composite video in terms of quality, presumably due to a nice comb filter as LD was never RGB, of course. I recently moved the LD player back onto my rack so I can play some stuff, which I might copy to a DVD recorder or straight to MP4 via a ClonerAlliance ViewPro.

A QQ- is it worth running the SCART through an OSSC first before connecting to the DVD recorder etc? I've used OSSC a lot for retro games but not for recording AV stuff. Ditto question for VHS rips. I recently ripped Crapston Villas VHS tapes onto DVDR via SCART (as only part of 1 of the 2 series is available on DVD), but didn't bother with an OSSC, which might have been a mistake in hindsight.
You can't get RGB scart LD - all you're getting is composite over scart. Depending on what player you have and whether you're using a video processor, composite is the best source for LD, because that's its native format.

Anyway... there's always a place for Neo Geo and LD... :D

IMG_3041.JPG

IMG_3040.JPG

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
A lot of people say you shouldn't use S-Video because of comb filters, but I've owned 7 different LD player models and every single one of them looked better on S-Video than composite on every single display I've ever tried them on.

My main LD player is a Pioneer Elite going into a PVM and the S-Video on it shits all over the composite.

Moral of the story, just get a composite cable and an S-Video cable and try them both. It's not like you can't switch back if you don't like the result.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Were you all finding your LD players? What’s a reasonable price for a working player? Not super concerned with having top of the line since I only have 1 Grateful Dead concert disc I want to watch

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Were you all finding your LD players? What’s a reasonable price for a working player? Not super concerned with having top of the line since I only have 1 Grateful Dead concert disc I want to watch
I haven't bought one in like 15 years but they're fairly common sights still at flea markets or thrift stores.

Most Pioneer models are more than good enough. All the Sony ones I've come across were pure shit. I had a Denon one that was okayish.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
If you're in the US and after a cheap player I guess classifieds / craigslist and thrift stores are gonna be your best bet.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
IIRC Denon players are Pioneer chassis with a Denon badge slapped on them.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
Not every Sony player is total crap. I've one and really like it, mostly because the remote for it works with the TV and VHS/DVD combo I have. But... Yeah I have a Pioneer that is a better player.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
How does S-video compare with SCART?
Like already stated by Tarma the LD SCART is only composite and not RGB.

Analog connections in general: RGB > S-Video > Composite > RF

S-Video is only slightly better than composite anyway.

Pinball

Kula's Candy
Like already stated by Tarma the LD SCART is only composite and not RGB.

Analog connections in general: RGB > S-Video > Composite > RF

S-Video is only slightly better than composite anyway.
Yes I know LD is not RGB output. I was just curious whether there is any difference in video quality for SCART vs S-video in this case, as my LD players are SCART, being UK.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Yes I know LD is not RGB output. I was just curious whether there is any difference in video quality for SCART vs S-video in this case, as my LD players are SCART, being UK.
What are you plugging your LD player into? Direct to CRT / flat-panel or through a video processor?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
A lot of people say you shouldn't use S-Video because of comb filters, but I've owned 7 different LD player models and every single one of them looked better on S-Video than composite on every single display I've ever tried them on.

My main LD player is a Pioneer Elite going into a PVM and the S-Video on it shits all over the composite.

Moral of the story, just get a composite cable and an S-Video cable and try them both. It's not like you can't switch back if you don't like the result.
This. The bottomline is composite is a lossy connection. Just because the data on the disc isn't better than composite doesn't mean quality isn't being lost between the player and the TV.