Laserdisc Collecting

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
I've been keeping an eye out for one of those. Some day maybe.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Got the Japanese release of Cemetery Man, Della Morte Del More. Anna Falchi has some huge nips.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
I've been keeping an eye out for one of those. Some day maybe.

I've had a saved search on a couple auction sites for the longest time. But what's giving me the urge recently is that I managed to find a few movies for it. So I finally decided I want to be pulling the trigger on one now.

5QOA53R.jpg

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
i am very much interested in starting to collect some LDs. please post up-to-date, hi-res pictures so i can see what i'm working with. k, thanks.

p.s.: watermarks are appreciated

Neo_Mike_81

King's Dry Cleaner
I got a Pioneer laserdisc player last month for $10 @ a thrift store, I would like to start collecting some anime laserdiscs from the late 80s to 90s .
Any other good places to get some besides ebay?

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
I got a Pioneer laserdisc player last month for $10 @ a thrift store, I would like to start collecting some anime laserdiscs from the late 80s to 90s .
Any other good places to get some besides ebay?
Check out the sellers on lddb.com.

Yahoo! Japan is an awesome source of all things LD anime, but sadly, very few come with an English language track, and even fewer with English subs (and even then you'd need either a LD+G decoder or an LD player with one built in - eg. Pioneer S9).

I can highly recommend Ghost In The Shell and Akira boxets - both come with English audio as well as the original Japanese.

If you're lucky enough to be able to understand the language, then my friend the world is your oyster.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
I don't keep up with laseredisc news but this seems like a pretty big deal.

FAT$TACKS

15 Year Member
If it ever gets to the point where someone sells a device you can buy and not have be smart to use, then I'm all in. It looks cool and I've been following it on and off for a while, but it's beyond me these days.

Speaking of Laserdiscs... I've recently gotten interested in Japanese rental discs. Something about those gold discs that is just too cool. I've been trying to pick them up when the price is right and it's a movie I like. Sadly most of the ones I see are crap I don't care about.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
The Pagemaster was the only release without a DVD or Blu-ray release in my collection. Just checked now and it turns out it was released on DVD in 2021.
I won't bother digitising LD or VHS anyway.

Pinball

Kula's Candy
Fascinating. I still have my LD collection, which includes a fair number of titles that were never released on other formats e.g. NasaCORE (NASA's educational division). They used to sell LDs and I have one, for example, with 50,000 photos from the moon missions. It would be cool to capture this.

I remember watching LDs in the early 90s, when VHS was the standard home format until DVD appeared in 1996. I did have SVHS, but nevertheless LD was a true luxury, with THX sound, chapters, multiple audio tracks etc just like DVD, and the 12 inch size meant you had great cover art just like vinyl albums. The only downside is that LD is composite video output, so this is not a vinyl vs CD situation. LD is inferior for video quality. Great for audio though.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
LD is inferior for video quality. Great for audio though.
Yeah I don't really think most people can tell the difference on a standard SD TV.
The ability to upscan dvd cheaply and easily in one package is what sets it apart.
Same thing with AC3/DD, DVD can do it all in the player in a signal easily output to most modern amps.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
The only downside is that LD is composite video output, so this is not a vinyl vs CD situation. LD is inferior for video quality. Great for audio though.
Get a player with a good comb filter, and suddenly you have video worthy of an S-video connection. Arguably better than the compressed MPEG2 format of DVD, at least in DVD's standard 4:3 non-widescreen resolution.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Get a player with a good comb filter, and suddenly you have video worthy of an S-video connection. Arguably better than the compressed MPEG2 format of DVD, at least in DVD's standard 4:3 non-widescreen resolution.
Yeah most the last couple generations of TV sets had REALLY good comb filters built in to them.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
A good player with a late model crt has several movies that look better than their dvd counterparts of the time, often due to lack of digital artifacts. The Matrix and Saving Private Ryan are two good examples.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
definitely a niche upon niche format now. I still have my player and a crate of LD's, but it's pure novelty. I don't think I have much that has LD exclusive content.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I have all the dumbass Star Trek stuff on LD.

All of TOS
All of TAS
All of TNG
~2.5 seasons of DS9 (that's all they released in the US)
random episodes of Voyager
I-VI, Generations, First Contact, Insurrection

FAT$TACKS

15 Year Member
I have all the dumbass Star Trek stuff on LD.

All of TOS
All of TAS
All of TNG
~2.5 seasons of DS9 (that's all they released in the US)
random episodes of Voyager
I-VI, Generations, First Contact, Insurrection
HELL YEAH!

Star Trek is my thing.

Most of my ST is all on tapes though. I do have a sealed complete run TOS on Laserdisc.

Here is my most recent pick up. Not my photo, just from the listing I got.

STLD.jpg

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Yeah most the last couple generations of TV sets had REALLY good comb filters built in to them.
I'm not talking about the TV. I mean a comb filter in the LD player. Some LD players have S-video out, and this is the main reason it makes sense to have S-video.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I'm not talking about the TV. I mean a comb filter in the LD player. Some LD players have S-video out, and this is the main reason it makes sense to have S-video.
I know, I'm talking about TV.
The comb filters in the last couple gens of TV give composite a very sharp and noise free signal, making the quality advantage of s-video barely negligible.
Say most name brand CRT's 1998+

Just looked my current LD player is Pioneer CLD-D504, I got it for $30 local around 7 years ago.
It has s-video, flip, karaoke. pretty basic otherwise.

Last edited:

Pinball

Kula's Candy
I found the SCART output pretty good, and it definitely didn't feel like composite video in terms of quality, presumably due to a nice comb filter as LD was never RGB, of course. I recently moved the LD player back onto my rack so I can play some stuff, which I might copy to a DVD recorder or straight to MP4 via a ClonerAlliance ViewPro.

A QQ- is it worth running the SCART through an OSSC first before connecting to the DVD recorder etc? I've used OSSC a lot for retro games but not for recording AV stuff. Ditto question for VHS rips. I recently ripped Crapston Villas VHS tapes onto DVDR via SCART (as only part of 1 of the 2 series is available on DVD), but didn't bother with an OSSC, which might have been a mistake in hindsight.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
To be fair though, there are only like, 3 players that have decent built in comb filters that should be used over just using composite.