KoF XIII Port this Winter

saner

Krauser's Henchman
but zany off the wall shit usually hurts KOFs credibility more than it helps.

zany off the wall?????? Have you even SEEN Super Street Fighter 4? Hakan and Juri. nuff said.

And remember SF has it's bunch of zany designs too before SF4, including R.Mika, those EX rejects, Seven (who fits more in a Darkstalkers than a SF3.), Q (wtf), Necro (W-T-F.) etc.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
zany off the wall?????? Have you even SEEN Super Street Fighter 4? Hakan and Juri. nuff said.

And remember SF has it's bunch of zany designs too before SF4, including R.Mika, those EX rejects, Seven (who fits more in a Darkstalkers than a SF3.), Q (wtf), Necro (W-T-F.) etc.

All of those characters have been criticized, too. What exactly is your point?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I have to admit I did kind of like Malin in 2003. But I liked her for what made her horrible. Her annoyance factor. Playing her keep away game with her hideous, screechy seagull cry over and over and over and over for the entire match without break is the kind of thing that makes the person you are playing against throw their controller. Which always gives me a warm feeling. You just have to keep one eye on them to make sure they don't completely lose it and punch your tv or something. But otherwise, I love to watch the building frustration.

A really shitty design, but again, that is an annoyance multiplier. Just adds to the effect.

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
I love the amount of modes there are, this could be awesome, wont beat ssf4 though.
Looking forward to using Mai again for the first time since kof 2003

Last edited:

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Yeah, I never said Capcom was infallible, and that zany era of characters (3rd Strike) was when SF pretty much went underground (at least around my neck of the woods).

SF4 brought back the classic lineup and among the new characters only Abel is the one most of us seem to like....And coincidentally, Abel happens to be the only one who is based off a well known IRL fighter. The fatass, juri, fuerte, etc...not so much.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
And SSF4 has fucking Cody - you don't get more badass than that. He says "fuck fireballs" and shanks you in the goddamn gut, and that's after throwing a mound of dirt in your ugly face. Then takes a nap because you're a boring little shit.

EDIT - Yeah, I'm pretty sure Cody is the most badass fighting game character of all time.

Last edited:

Kim Kaphwan

Member,
20 Year Member
Ah, 2k3 Malin. She was the only one able to outclass and beat Duo Lon in high level play. XI Malin brought the stun potential, but at the cost of her zoning game.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
R. Mika hate? Fur realz? Joshi wrestlers are some of the toughest people ever. Saner, stop trollin'.

@ O: have you played XIII online yet? If so...how was it?

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Not sailor fuku Athena.

I like the earlier costume designs. I liked the kung fu sensibilities of the design, even though she used lots of psychic powers.

I didn't even care that she was an idol singer back in Japan. The team China roster was very silly back in those days, and pushed the boundaries of what I consider acceptable storytelling, even for a fighting game.

But I liked it. It seemed to fit.

Sailor fuku Athena can fuku off.

Of course you know the original Athena *Asamiya* (the psycho soldier) wears her all blue seifuku...

Psycho_Soldier.png

KOF Athena has been her idol-ized persona till XII, when she and Kensou both got back to their original appearance, pretty much as for bare-chested Ikari warriors. :)

Looking at the roster, I actually like a majority of the KOF roster's women. I can just do without stupid characters like Momoko, Malin and Hinako. Their ilk, if you will.

I totally agree with you on that.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
R. Mika hate? Fur realz? Joshi wrestlers are some of the toughest people ever. Saner, stop trollin'.

I liked the idea of R. Mika because I was a fan of Japanese Women's Wrestling back in the early-mid 1990s. But the gameplay just wasn't there for that character, imo. I kept hoping Capcom would bring her back in some new game but completely overhaul her to make her a viable character.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Angel was such a great character. She needs to return to the lineup. Her variations made her awesome. I also miss k9999 but I guess I'm in the minority. At least I have Duo Lon still.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I liked the idea of R. Mika because I was a fan of Japanese Women's Wrestling back in the early-mid 1990s. But the gameplay just wasn't there for that character, imo. I kept hoping Capcom would bring her back in some new game but completely overhaul her to make her a viable character.

Agreed. Beach Special-ing into the wrong thing drives me nuts. Love the character; wish she would be reintroduced w/ a less esoteric control scheme.

Angel & R. Mika coulda been a fun SvC match.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Just FYI, Angel got re-dubbed by Shintani Mayumi in 2002 just to have all her lines being some puns to GAiNAX 'FLCL' ova anime series. :)

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Of course you know the original Athena *Asamiya* (the psycho soldier) wears her all blue seifuku...

Yeah, I hate that design. I don't care that it's 'classic.' 'Classic' doesn't always mean 'better.'

I like the early KOF design. Like, from '94 and '95.

Because it looked like something a martial artist might wear.

SNK apparently thought so, too. Otherwise, they wouldn't have changed it for KOF. It had to fit the aesthetic of the game's look.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
KOF96's Esaka stage on the console version:

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Re-dubbed? I though she had done the voice originally anyway.

Indeed. They just re-recorded the who character lines to have them acted with the same voice of Haruhara Haruko, also tweaking the line themselves (and adding some) on the same direction. (I can go into details if you like :) )

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Yeah, I hate that design. I don't care that it's 'classic.' 'Classic' doesn't always mean 'better.'

I like the early KOF design. Like, from '94 and '95.

Because it looked like something a martial artist might wear.

SNK apparently thought so, too. Otherwise, they wouldn't have changed it for KOF. It had to fit the aesthetic of the game's look.

I see you points. Soon in KOF, Athena's image drifted into that of a stage fancy idol, rather than a martial artist. :-)

They played with the original concept that Athena was a 'simple schoolgirl' with Psycho Powers, hence leading to a double life. Thus Asamiya Athena came to portrayed as a music idol making puns on a superhero-like persona in KOF, actually. You see in KOF96 Esaka stage the posters for her tour, etc.

Neverless, as soon as they started using first-up animations, and that's '95 IIRC, Athena was starting throwing away her blue seifuku. That's her basis anyway.

Of course you may not like it, and indeed 'classic' is not necessary the best in anyone personal opinion and preference, yet I just say it's coherent with what they did in KOFXII-XIII as a whole. And coherence is not a matter of personal tastes, but facts. :)

Last edited:

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Just to clarify, Esaka's stage, Iori's 95 stage, and Mr. Karate's AoF1 stage do not come with the game. For some reason, Easaka stage popped up during online play as senar mentioned earlier.

I'm not sure if they come free with their respective DLC character, but it's not likely the case.

The rest of the additional home version's stages come with the game, including Billy's clock tower stage and Ash's Stadium rooftop stage.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
Esaka is still randomly chosen and usable online. So technically it's already included, just that it looks like to use Esaka and KOF95 Iori stage in local versus, you have to buy the Iori/Kyo DLC. Kyo DLC hasn't been announced yet, but all signs point to Esaka stage being bundled with NESTS/whatever Kyo for local use, though that doesn't help the fact Online doesn't offer stage select (but still nice Esaga stage and Iori stage are included for online, even though they are randomly chosen!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2NSCPxOi7I

http://www.signedbyr.com/fr/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/18112011112.jpg

I don't think SNKP will be jerks and patch it so people can't get Esaka and Iori stage randomly anymore online. But it still won't help their reputation not allowing their offline/local use without buying the DLC. It's proven those backgrounds are already on the disk, so I can sense a lot of rants coming from this for people that only play online, or people that want to choose those backgrounds offline for training and stuff.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I'm not sure if they come free with their respective DLC character, but it's not likely the case.
One of the previously posted videos has an Atlus rep saying the Iori flame version, KOF '95 Iori stage and music are all 1 DLC package. So I do think all the stages and themes come with their respective characters.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
One of the previously posted videos has an Atlus rep saying the Iori flame version, KOF '95 Iori stage and music are all 1 DLC package. So I do think all the stages and themes come with their respective characters.

but people with hands-on copies have confirmed KOF95 and 96 stages are already playable online.

I think the DLC versions will just add the option to choose them offline, and the extra background theme added, besides the DLC character added.