Here is a new MMA thread

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
It is, and you sound like a dumb guy for making that comment.

#1: Boxing has had centuries to become "nuanced."

#2: MMA needs to do everything a boxer does plus everything a wrestler does, everything a jiu-jitsu practitioner does, etc. To compare the "nuances" required between the two is laughable, and then playing captain obvious by making claims that the one that requires more has a long way to go before it matches the other that requires less, and has had more time to develop.

#3: Comparing a bad MMA fight and hypothesizing a fight with a world champion boxer as if he would crush them. Klitschko will look a lot different when he doesn't have to worry about being thrown to the ground, or hit with feet/elbows/knees. Should I pick out a bad heavyweight boxing fight between two relative-unknowns and use it as an argument for why Werdum would kill them and how boxing has a long way to go?

I agree with everything you said about Ronda being a bad boxer (that ring magazine cover where she's standing next to a caption that says "She's conquered MMA, is boxing next?" was super cring-worthy), and the reasons you gave, but you followed it up with a real silly comment that deserved to be pointed out.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Yup, there's a lot more technique within MIXED martial arts. Thinking you can just punch your way to victory is crazy when someone can get in close and grab you, or simply outreach you with kicks. A boxer wouldn't stand a chance.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I didn't mean it as a knock on MMA, it was just an observation. I am a fan of both sports. I understand entirely that boxing is way more mature and MMA still has a ways to go.

As for Wlad versus UFC, I genuinely don't believe there is an MMA fighter in the world who could get inside Wlad's jab for a takedown. He's too smart, too disciplined. And he had punching power which has never been seen in MMA. With those small gloves I don't see anyone in MMA with the chin to take a combination from him. I honestly believe the ground game wouldn't come into play.

And to be fair, weren't both those heavyweights top 20 contenders? I didn't look it up but I think I remember Rogan saying something along those lines. Show me a boxing match between contenders that looked that bad.

There aren't any elite boxers in men's MMA and there never have been. Because there is still way more money in boxing for men right now. Any truly great boxer is chasing bigger paydays.

But for women the pay discrepancy is almost non-existent, which is why Holm can step into MMA and not lose money.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Again ( :rolleyes: ), it's not the money, it's the fact that boxers would get creamed in MMA. Why do you think Rousey was so confident she'd kick Mayweather's ass?

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
That she might be, but it's a sure bet Mayweather wouldn't last a round with her even. She'd yank his damn arm off.

famicommander

15 Year Member
She couldn't even catch Holm. Floyd wouldn't get touched a single time. Bigger, faster, stronger, smarter. First round knockout 100 of 100 times.

famicommander

15 Year Member

Did you even watch the fight last night? A 5'7", 130 pound female boxer just obliterated Rousey. Mayweather is the best boxer in the world.

You're fucked in the head if you think she'd actually lay a finger on Floyd.

famicommander

15 Year Member
IckyScornfulHorse.gif

And this woman is supposed to get ahold of Floyd?

Last edited:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
As for Wlad versus UFC, I genuinely don't believe there is an MMA fighter in the world who could get inside Wlad's jab for a takedown. He's too smart, too disciplined. And he had punching power which has never been seen in MMA. With those small gloves I don't see anyone in MMA with the chin to take a combination from him. I honestly believe the ground game wouldn't come into play.

You're judging Wlad's jab, which he's been able to execute without fear of being thrown to the ground. The situations are wildly different. Are you sure you're a fan of both sports? Because you're making comments that aren't grounded in the reality of them both. To even suggest the ground game wouldn't come into play is borderline retarded.

There aren't any truly elite boxers in MMA because it takes more than truly elite boxing. When you have to train not only several different styles, but weave them all together in a single fight, you aren't going to win a fight being elite at any one thing. I mean, do I need to bring up the James Tony match against Randy Couture?

You're smarter than this.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Couture/Toney was no different from Mancini/Sylvia. Just happened to break the other way. All four guys were past their primes.

I just don't see anyone getting close enough to take Wlad down without getting knocked out.

(Wlad also has like 80+ kickboxing victories to his credit, just fyi)

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
All I did was provide a case where "elite boxing" couldn't prepare itself for the ground game, which was the crux of your whole argument with Wlad. You're trying to rehash an argument that was settled in 1993.

Also, kickboxing != MMA. So many kickboxers come to MMA and get utterly decimated because they don't know how to fight off their back. Maybe if Wlad had a strong sambo base or something I could see it, but judging him purely by his boxing skills (and even equated in the kickboxing), it doesn't translate into being able to handle a takedown. Wlad has never trained for that. He never had to.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
I didn't mean it as a knock on MMA, it was just an observation. I am a fan of both sports. I understand entirely that boxing is way more mature and MMA still has a ways to go.

And to be fair, weren't both those heavyweights top 20 contenders? I didn't look it up but I think I remember Rogan saying something along those lines. Show me a boxing match between contenders that looked that bad.

There aren't any elite boxers in men's MMA and there never have been. Because there is still way more money in boxing for men right now. Any truly great boxer is chasing bigger paydays.

But for women the pay discrepancy is almost non-existent, which is why Holm can step into MMA and not lose money.

dude you dont stand inside someones jab range for a takedown, how retarded are you? whats gonna happen when someone shoots a double on him when he has had 0 experience defending take downs wtf are you smoking.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
also I would bet my entire life savings that Roy Nelson would absolutely kick the shit out of wlad and hes not even top 10 heavyweight in the UFC

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
I have always thought Ronda's best advantage was her brute strength. She pretty much overpowered her previous opponents, with the only exception possibly being sarah mcmann who she still dropped with a knee to the gut. Holm was able to match Rousey's strength and athletic prowess and make her pay for chasing her. Ronda did land some nice shots and actually wobbled Holm at one point but damn that was not a good fight plan, plod foreword and try and land a KO.

Also, please stop putting Jard Rosholt on PPV's, so fucking boring.

OBpqY4.gif

Last edited:

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Did you even watch the fight last night? A 5'7", 130 pound female boxer just obliterated Rousey. Mayweather is the best boxer in the world.

You're fucked in the head if you think she'd actually lay a finger on Floyd.

Holm also has serious kickboxing experience which people tend to leave out

I don't see Wlad throwing pin point kicks in his boxing matches

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Rousey's boxing is terrible. She chases, drops her hands, doesn't move her head, can't slip punches, has terrible footwork. Just telegraphing punches and sticking her chin out. No idea how to take an angle or cut off the ring. This fight was over after the very first punching exchange.

I mean, you can count the number of half-okay boxers in MMA on one hand but Rousey is one of the worst I have ever seen.

Also that heavyweight fight was a fucking joke. MMA still has a long way to go before the in-ring action is as precise and nuanced as boxing. Wlad Kiltschko knocks out any UFC heavyweight inside a minute.

When she brought emotions into the ring, it was over. I was telling my wife from the get go that she was going to lose if she tried to "box" with Holms. She was so pissed from the weigh-in that she was concentrating on striking. Holms did a great job, I think it's good for RR to lose early in her career rather than later. It should teach her how one sided of a fighter she really is.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
When she brought emotions into the ring, it was over.

To be fair, Ronda always had some sort of spat with her opponent before the fight. I think it was more of the case of Holly executing a solid gameplan --keeping the distance, choosing her shots, and dictating the pace. Ronda gassed before the first round.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
This was the first time I've seen one of Rousey's opponents completely block the hip throws.

It's obvious Rousey didn't train that hard, she was completely gassed after one round.

If she'd just quit the complete cunt act (if it is an act), I'd actually cheer for her.

Go make your movie Rhonda...

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I know nothing about "gameplans" or what style would win over the other or any next level shit like that.

It's hot as fuck when women fight, tho.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
mayweather is the best person in the world at avoiding getting into a boxing match.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
To be fair, Ronda always had some sort of spat with her opponent before the fight. I think it was more of the case of Holly executing a solid gameplan --keeping the distance, choosing her shots, and dictating the pace. Ronda gassed before the first round.

This one was different due to what happened at the weigh-in. She was even vocal about it on her IG. I knew she was going to lose already. Even in the first moments of the fight she kept chasing Holly, probably thinking she was like her last opponent...lol

BigFred

Neither Big nor Fred, ,
This was the first time I've seen one of Rousey's opponents completely block the hip throws.

This.

Rousey steam-rolled through her previous opponents. Miesha being the exception. The first clinch against Holm into hip-toss attempt was clearly defended by Holm. It must have been frustrating for Rousey. She kept trying to close the distance but Holm kept her out with clean strikes. I'm not a fan of the stabbing front kick to the thigh Holm kept using. Jon Jones is also a fan of that particular kick, (we call it the cunt-kick over here). It can easily cause major damage if the opponent steps in at the wrong time. Well done to Holm either way. She deserved to be champion after that performance.

Rousey just needs to review the fight, I expect her to bounce back from this given time.