Here is a new MMA thread

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
There was one of these many moons ago. So sayeth the pages that it shall be reborn.

Johny Hendricks sucks, for starters.

ArmoredGecko

Quiz Detective
Johnny Hendricks isn't as complete as GSP was. I think he gets a bit of tunnel vision and tends to just go for an overhand when he's rocked someone but they recovered. I'm actually more excited about the fact that the 170 division doesn't feel as locked down as when GSP was champion.

The women's divisions are the most interesting ones to me right now.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
People still fight?
What a strange world we live in.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
I hope Lawler puts Hendricks out in the rematch, Hendricks has a solid chin though he is one tough SOB. I just hope he stands and bangs again and doesn't try to go for a bunch of take downs or hug Lawler against the cage for 5 rounds.

cormier-laugh_zpsdfb68b5f.gif

dc_zps2f4ca374.gif

naked-jones_zps2cf0c374.gif

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Again, legendary men return?
That is goddamn right buddy. I suppose I could have just started a thread titled "Johny Hendricks is a penis who can't spell his own name" but that might have confused people. Plus this may lead to other interesting topics re: the fight biz.

People still fight?
What a strange world we live in.
They do like that scene in A Million Ways to Die in the West where Ribisi and McFarlane are just swinging their arms in circles, with the occasional kneebar thrown in.

Hendricks is more complete than Lawler, but hell yeah I'm rooting for Lawler to win the rematch. Hendricks just says so many stupid things in public. Can't stand the guy. There are so many highly unlikable fighters and personalities in the sport now- him, Dana White, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey, Nick Diaz, Jose Aldo, Wanderlei Silva, Chael Sonnen, not to the mention the true psychopaths like War Machine, Jason Miller, Thiago Silva, Josh Grispi, Anthony Johnson, etc.

It's too bad when the good guys like GSP are leaving the sport because it's so dirty. The good cards and good fights are still fun to watch (guys like Mighty Mouse are amazing, too bad he can't draw to save his life on PPV), but it's so few and far between that those happen anymore with so much filler and so many injuries. When the hell is Pettis finally going to fight? Oh yeah, he's wasting his time on TUF and then he'll probably get hurt again. Jones/Cormier is off, off, off again.

And... is McGregor going to beat the winner of Aldo/Mendes (read: Aldo)?

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
Korean Zombie got the call to do the mandatory 2 year military service, Dana said he will still have his spot when he returns

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
So Cain is hurt, again (AGAIN!). And guess who's stepping in to fight Werdum for the interim HW title?

That's right, the one and only Chael P. Sonnen.

Just kidding, it's Mark Hunt. Which is awesome. Much of the internet MMA community is jizzing its pants pretty hard right now. Hunt wins by KO and it's gonna be scary (I don't think he wins the fight, but if he does... whoa).

Last edited:

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
Heard about it earlier, Hunt isn't the champ we deserve

He's the champ we need

ArmoredGecko

Quiz Detective
Hunt has a chance against everyone. But I think Werdum will win.

I think Aldo is about to be dethroned. Alpha Male has been on a tear lately and I feel like Aldo isn't himself lately with the stuff he's been saying.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
I haven't watched a fight since Chris Weidman went "nok su kow" on Anderson Silva.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Johnny Hendricks isn't as complete as GSP was. I think he gets a bit of tunnel vision and tends to just go for an overhand when he's rocked someone but they recovered. I'm actually more excited about the fact that the 170 division doesn't feel as locked down as when GSP was champion.

The women's divisions are the most interesting ones to me right now.

My friend had a fairly small time but quite well known in the UK career in MMA and I went to watch him fight a few times, plenty of good times were had. On a couple of occasions though there were women fighting on the card and, as sexist as I know this is, it was just about the most unpleasant thing I've ever seen.

ArmoredGecko

Quiz Detective
On a couple of occasions though there were women fighting on the card and, as sexist as I know this is, it was just about the most unpleasant thing I've ever seen.

Unpleasant how?
If you just don't like the idea of women fighting then that's odd to think it's okay for men but not women.
If they particularly ugly women then that's just how it is sometimes (people who get punched in the face for a living tend not to look as attractive as those who don't).
If skill set wasn't as good as the men's then you probably just watched some low caliber fighters or it was before women's mma started really picking up, it's still not as good (unless comparing to the heavyweight division), but it's come a long way.

EDIT: Aldo won in a tough fight but he still doesn't look like he did in his WEC days (I miss the WEC). Also that card was pretty boring until the main event.

Last edited:

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Womens fighting has come a long way and I give the UFC credit for embracing it.

BUT I think its a division that has a long way to go (talent wise) before it starts looking more like a proper competition and less like a spectacle.

Sexism has no place in the discussion though!
Any man, woman, child, animal or whatever can have a competitive fighting spirit and to deny someone their nature because of their gender is pretty fucking lame for this day and age.

Any female fighter in the ring has more business being there than I ever will.

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
Speaking of WEC imagine my surprise when I went into a bar and on FoxSports they played a Carlos Condit fight from his WEC days before he won their welterweight belt

Glad I bought the two WEC blu rays before they went out of print

StevenK

10 Year Member
Unpleasant how?
If you just don't like the idea of women fighting then that's odd to think it's okay for men but not women.
If they particularly ugly women then that's just how it is sometimes (people who get punched in the face for a living tend not to look as attractive as those who don't).
If skill set wasn't as good as the men's then you probably just watched some low caliber fighters or it was before women's mma started really picking up, it's still not as good (unless comparing to the heavyweight division), but it's come a long way.

EDIT: Aldo won in a tough fight but he still doesn't look like he did in his WEC days (I miss the WEC). Also that card was pretty boring until the main event.

It was straight up hair pulling and scratching, low calibre doesn't come close. Fair enough it was probably an amateur fight (going off memory here) but still I was taken aback by how shit it was.

I didn't like the whole spectacle of it either, two women in a ring with an almost entirely male crowd egging them on to rip each other's tits off, it didn't feel as voluntary as I think on the face of it it looks. It felt exploitative if I'm honest.

It put me off watching any of the women's fights since though, so it's not fair of me to make sweeping statements about the state of the top level women's events over a decade later, I'll concede.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
lol, hair-pulling and scratching is against the rules. You sure you weren't just watching two drunk chicks fight by a cage?

StevenK

10 Year Member
lol, hair-pulling and scratching is against the rules. You sure you weren't just watching two drunk chicks fight by a cage?

Haha I know, the ref was pulling them apart again and again and it just ended up the same shit. I was sat there thinking that these people had trained a couple of hours each time, four days a week, maybe for five years to get to this level, if something isn't there it just isn't there.

It's the same with most sports though, I knew near 30+ year old guys at my local running club who could run the 100 fast enough to reach the women's olympic final, lads at school level who could walk into a women's premiership football side, etc etc.

You know what I'm saying, I don't turn the channel over to watch camels play water polo and I don't see myself turning over to watch women in mma any time soon either. That's not to say for a second that I don't think they should be allowed to do it.

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
It was straight up hair pulling and scratching, low calibre doesn't come close. Fair enough it was probably an amateur fight (going off memory here) but still I was taken aback by how shit it was.

I didn't like the whole spectacle of it either, two women in a ring with an almost entirely male crowd egging them on to rip each other's tits off, it didn't feel as voluntary as I think on the face of it it looks. It felt exploitative if I'm honest.

It put me off watching any of the women's fights since though, so it's not fair of me to make sweeping statements about the state of the top level women's events over a decade later, I'll concede.

I've seen amateur women's fights and even in those what you described doesn't happen

It's fine that it ain't your thing but going by Carano and Rousey there's a whole lot of folks who'll watch as Rousey is bringing in ppv buys below GSP, Anderson and Lesnar

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Not a big Aldo fan. Kind of funny how DFW and company are already talking about when Conor's title shot will be and he hasn't actually beaten Siver yet (not many people think Siver has a chance, including me, but still).

I assume they'll do the fight in Brazil, and I also think much of the MMA media will drink the Kool-Aid and pick Conor to win.

Hot Chocolate

20 Year Member
With the way Connor's talking I'm semi surprised they still have him fighting Siver and not having him wait it out

It's Anderson/Sonnen again and I'm ok with it

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
With the way Connor's talking I'm semi surprised they still have him fighting Siver and not having him wait it out

It's Anderson/Sonnen again and I'm ok with it

Yep connor is talking his way into fights the same way chael did and Connor will get his mouth shut too

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Conor is ten times more talented than Sonnen was. Chael couldn't fight for shit, especially without cheating. All indications are that Conor is, at worst, the third-best fighter in the FW division. I would be really, really surprised if he doesn't beat Siver (he ought to blow him out of the water), and then he'll be the smallest underdog line Aldo's ever fought, or right at the same line Edgar was. Much more legit than Chael, but yeah, Aldo will still win.