Gran Turismo 4 Thread

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
hanafudaX said:
Nice. The black editions of those cars are only available on certain days right?

Did you A Spec or B Spec Nurburgring 24 hour?
they're only available between days 694-700 of any given two years in the game. and they're all about 1 million each. i just got lucky and found em both sitting there at the dealer. and the toyota GT-1 and nissan R390-GT1 race car were in the other shop. but i didn't have enough money to buy those two and besides the 787B and R92CP are faster.

and the i b-specced the nurnburgring race because i soooo didn't want to sit there for a full day and race it. but the race is pretty easy. just use a touring car or something and hard racing tires and go for it. all the other cars there are touring cars and it shouldn't be much of a challenge to do it. and the F1 car you win is fast as balls.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
Kim _Kaphwan said:
they're only available between days 694-700 of any given two years in the game. and they're all about 1 million each. i just got lucky and found em both sitting there at the dealer. and the toyota GT-1 and nissan R390-GT1 race car were in the other shop. but i didn't have enough money to buy those two and besides the 787B and R92CP are faster.

and the i b-specced the nurnburgring race because i soooo didn't want to sit there for a full day and race it. but the race is pretty easy. just use a touring car or something and hard racing tires and go for it. all the other cars there are touring cars and it shouldn't be much of a challenge to do it. and the F1 car you win is fast as balls.

You were very fortunate to find those cars then! I want to get my hands on them, but probably never will. I have both in normal form though, so that is sufficient.

B Spec eh. Well, I don't blame you, but for a minute I thought you meant you had done an A Spec :eek:

I had one B Spec attempt at Le Mans 24 Hours, but failed in the Sauber C9. Quite a tricky race I think. Just picking hard tyres is not enough, because it means your pit stops are incredibly long as you have to wait an age for a full tank of fuel. It needs a different tire strategy to win, plus a B Spec driver with more experience than my guy...

I should be able to unpack my PS2 today, so plan on firing this game up again to pick up where I left off.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
hanafudaX said:
You were very fortunate to find those cars then! I want to get my hands on them, but probably never will. I have both in normal form though, so that is sufficient.

B Spec eh. Well, I don't blame you, but for a minute I thought you meant you had done an A Spec :eek:

I had one B Spec attempt at Le Mans 24 Hours, but failed in the Sauber C9. Quite a tricky race I think. Just picking hard tyres is not enough, because it means your pit stops are incredibly long as you have to wait an age for a full tank of fuel. It needs a different tire strategy to win, plus a B Spec driver with more experience than my guy...

I should be able to unpack my PS2 today, so plan on firing this game up again to pick up where I left off.
yeah your B-spec driver needs to be at 5000 or more points of experience otherwise he'll do stupid shit like hit a wall and then reverse away then drive back into the same wall and repeat the process again and again.

hanafuda

Kim _Kaphwan said:
yeah your B-spec driver needs to be at 5000 or more points of experience otherwise he'll do stupid shit like hit a wall and then reverse away then drive back into the same wall and repeat the process again and again.

I don't know what level the driver is at but I haven't seen it do anything as dumb as that. In fact, I haven't seen it leave the track besides getting a wheel or two on the dirt every now and again.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
hanafudaX said:
I don't know what level the driver is at but I haven't seen it do anything as dumb as that. In fact, I haven't seen it leave the track besides getting a wheel or two on the dirt every now and again.
well he does some stupid shit. walk away from the game at some point and come back an hour or so later and see the stupid shit he's done.

hanafuda

Kim _Kaphwan said:
well he does some stupid shit. walk away from the game at some point and come back an hour or so later and see the stupid shit he's done.

I finally found my PS2 AV cable and got to hook it up. Played a few B Spec races. My driver is around the 2800 skill mark. It does OK though. It did come off the track a couple of times on the Autumn Ring, and did in fact screw up and drop from 3rd to 6th one time, but won a couple of other races for me too.

Just need to dig the GT Force Pro out now for some A Spec action. Almost at 75% completion.

hanafuda

Finally cracked 75% completion.

Almost cleared the Japanese Hall.

After that, dunno. Maybe a serious crack at the Endurance Hall. I have an impressive collection of cars to go at it with. Just bagged the Autobacs ARTA.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
some bastard made me buy this title but I can't get the pal one to work with hdloader

and I can't be assed to open the drive and swap discs woot, I'll have it working on hd soon

:eye:

hanafuda

Sebastien Loeb GT4 Time Attack

Did you know that Loeb practised for his Le Mans qualifying on GT4 while sat in a plane?

Well, he did.

He recently visited Polyphony Digital for an official time attack session on GT4 La Sarthe.

Pretty cool video, even if it is in Japanese. Just click on Special Movie.

http://www.gran-turismo.com/jp/

You can get more videos by clicking on the Citroen.

hanafuda

Last night I fired up the photo modes for the first time.

They are awesome!

I don't know much about photography, and trying to get a great shot is pretty difficult, but I spent a lot of time on this just getting used to it and playing around. Thankfully I had the GT4 Bible to hand for some assistance.

Finally getting a printer, which just so happens to be compatible, so looking forward to the delivery tomorrow.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
holy shit last night I was playing with photo mode too lol!

I saved a pic of my ... vw lupo :annoyed: to a USB pendrive, its cool because if you use the memcard it defaults to 'normal' quality maybe 640x480, but if you use a pendrive its 'super-fine' 1280x960. which looks very good on a PC.

I didnt understand the 'film' mode you could only use on memcard though. :help:

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
kernow said:

I saved a pic of my ... vw lupo :annoyed: to a USB pendrive, its cool because if you use the memcard it defaults to 'normal' quality maybe 640x480, but if you use a pendrive its 'super-fine' 1280x960. which looks very good on a PC.

film mode is basically a way to take really good laps you run on tracks and save them for future reference. like i used a tuned lotus carlton on twin ring motegi and pulled a lap time of 1. 58. 053 and that's a very good lap especially for something that big and weighty so i saved the lap video onto the memory card and you can watch it for future reference with other cars you may use on that track to remember how to drive it properly and take the turns. like i know on that lap i was coming in on the inside every turn as i slowed up and rocketing out as fast as i could on the inside line and i wanted to keep it for future reference on that track. now i don't know if there's a way to get it onto the computer, but if there is your guess is probably better than mine

hanafuda

kernow said:

Spooky. I have had the game almost 2 years, and last night was the first time I checked the photo modes out. Did you try taking photos of moving cars, or just Photo Travel?

Anyway, you can change the photo mode options so that the default to save pics to the memory card is actually super fine mode rather than normal. I found super fine filled my card pretty fast :eek:

Do you know what limits there are on the USB devices you can connect? Will practically any USB storage do? Also, what format does it save them in?

Kim_Kaphwan> For saving out to film mode, can you then use the data as a 'ghost' for when you are using another car? I don't quite get it...

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
hanafudaX said:
Kim_Kaphwan> For saving out to film mode, can you then use the data as a 'ghost' for when you are using another car? I don't quite get it...
you can use it for a ghost with the same car i belive but i haven't tried with a different car... i'll do that next time i fire the game up.

hanafuda

Anyone here played the Alpine (manufacturer) race?

That was a headache. Really tough to get to grips with. After a few runs at the championship and failing to win I decided to hit the parts shop and get racing suspension on the car. Only way I could keep it under control.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
hanafudaX said:
Anyone here played the Alpine (manufacturer) race?

That was a headache. Really tough to get to grips with. After a few runs at the championship and failing to win I decided to hit the parts shop and get racing suspension on the car. Only way I could keep it under control.
i did it relatively easy enough if i remember correctly. the race that's giving me the most problems is the opel speedster race. and the aston martin race. but the alpines are a great car. the A110 is actually one of my favorite cars in the game.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
they are just jpegs, I havent tried a usb hard disk , (or cdwriter, ahem ¬_¬) but I will soon maybe

hanafudaX said:
Spooky. I have had the game almost 2 years, and last night was the first time I checked the photo modes out. Did you try taking photos of moving cars, or just Photo Travel?

Anyway, you can change the photo mode options so that the default to save pics to the memory card is actually super fine mode rather than normal. I found super fine filled my card pretty fast :eek:

Do you know what limits there are on the USB devices you can connect? Will practically any USB storage do? Also, what format does it save them in?

hanafuda

Kim _Kaphwan said:
i did it relatively easy enough if i remember correctly. the race that's giving me the most problems is the opel speedster race. and the aston martin race. but the alpines are a great car. the A110 is actually one of my favorite cars in the game.

Ah, I have the A310, which is one of my least favourite cars :lolz: I dunno, it is interesting because the handling is so tough, but a pain if you are not in the mood for such technical driving. Even with the racing suspension it can be hard to stop the rear end pointing in the direction you should be traveling in.

I think you win the A110 if you beat that event.

Think I have beaten the Aston Martin race. Will check later.

Kernow>

Just grabbed a USB Flash RAM. Looking forward to testing it out.

hanafuda

It turned out that I hadn't beaten the Aston Martin event, so I bought a DB9 and walked through all three races. Which Aston are you using Kim?

Posted a photo of the prize car in the photo album thread.

hanafuda

If you want a challenging event, try the VW Lupo championship.

I am two races in using a 2003 Lupo Cup Car. Came second in the first race. The second race is one lap of Nurburgring. Had an excellent race whereby I was 3rd for ages, but then slowly managed to catch the leaders (who had quite a lead) in the last 1/4 of the tracks and clinched the win. Very satifsying, and makes a great replay, which I saved. Already have the photo in mind :glee:

hanafuda

My B Spec guy just won Le Mans 24 Hour I, so the Audi R8 is mine.

Now I have some cash to spare. Not sure whether to blow it on a nice Japanese GT car, or save up for a Class C car. Hmmm.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
hanafudaX said:
It turned out that I hadn't beaten the Aston Martin event, so I bought a DB9 and walked through all three races. Which Aston are you using Kim?

Posted a photo of the prize car in the photo album thread.
i use the V8 vantage from 98 as it's the cheapest aston in the game hahaha. maybe because i'm trying to save money i dunno. i think it's just those awful tires you have to use in that race that kill me.

hanafuda

Kim _Kaphwan said:
i use the V8 vantage from 98 as it's the cheapest aston in the game hahaha. maybe because i'm trying to save money i dunno. i think it's just those awful tires you have to use in that race that kill me.

Hmm, I'm pretty sure I didn't even upgrade the tyres, so if you can spare the credits, just grab the DB9 and you should be able to breeze through the races.

As for challenges, yesterday I did the VW Beetle Cup, and that was very tough with a standard Beetle Cup Car. I had to upgrade the tyres to Racing 2 (Soft) to stand a chance, and even then they were all 72 A Spec point races, and I needed to qualify and get PP in order to seal the championship.

Quite a tough car to drive well. The brakes are incredibly severe.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
hanafudaX said:
Hmm, I'm pretty sure I didn't even upgrade the tyres, so if you can spare the credits, just grab the DB9 and you should be able to breeze through the races.

As for challenges, yesterday I did the VW Beetle Cup, and that was very tough with a standard Beetle Cup Car. I had to upgrade the tyres to Racing 2 (Soft) to stand a chance, and even then they were all 72 A Spec point races, and I needed to qualify and get PP in order to seal the championship.

Quite a tough car to drive well. The brakes are incredibly severe.
you shoulda used that AWD turbo beetle they sell in the store. it's still allowed in the race, and isn't too much faster than the cup cars, but fast enough to get away from them. have you done the renault clio race yet? or the opel speedster race? those two are hard as well.

hanafuda

Kim _Kaphwan said:
you shoulda used that AWD turbo beetle they sell in the store. it's still allowed in the race, and isn't too much faster than the cup cars, but fast enough to get away from them. have you done the renault clio race yet? or the opel speedster race? those two are hard as well.

Pretty sure I have done the Clio race but not the Opel one.

I need to clean up a couple of medals in the VW event hall first and then look to the next objective. I'm kind of thinking of putting some serious time into the Mission Hall, as I really want the Toyota 7. You got that yet?