Gran Turismo 4 Thread

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
Seems like there is still interest in this title, so here is the place to discuss it.

Haven't played for a week or so, but plan a heavy session on Monday.

Anyone else here using the Logitech GT Force Pro? I love it.

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
I bought a 32" widescreen three weeks back which made me dust off my PS2 and GT3.

I also picked up Gran Turismo Concept for £5 yesterday.

Would you suggest GT4 is worth getting? I'm having plenty of fun with GT3, but if it's the same great gameplay with even better visuals, maybe my TV deserves it!

I saw the game for £20 (2nd hand....) yesterday. And I reckon I'd have to finally get an RGB scart lead, so maybe £30 in total..... Can't decide whether to get it - maybe I will when I get bored of GT3.

Man - what a rambling post.....

hanafuda

El Capitan said:
I bought a 32" widescreen three weeks back which made me dust off my PS2 and GT3.

I also picked up Gran Turismo Concept for £5 yesterday.

Would you suggest GT4 is worth getting? I'm having plenty of fun with GT3, but if it's the same great gameplay with even better visuals, maybe my TV deserves it!

I saw the game for £20 (2nd hand....) yesterday. And I reckon I'd have to finally get an RGB scart lead, so maybe £30 in total..... Can't decide whether to get it - maybe I will when I get bored of GT3.

Man - what a rambling post.....

No worries. Good post.

I myself got a 32' widescreen about the same time as you did, and playing GT4 in 1080i is superb.

I had GT3, and 100% completed it. However, at the time I only had a tiny 14' TV. Can GT3 output in higher definition modes?

If GT3 doesn't output in 1080i, then you have to get GT4. It looks awesome running at 1080i on a 32' widescreen TV :) Regardless though, I think GT4 is the better game anyway. Much more to do, and a smoother progress path: I spent a lot of time on GT3 repeating races to save up enough cash just to compete in higher level races. In GT4 that isn't necessary.

On top of that GT4 has more courses, and, well, it is just way better in practically every respect. Get it!

hanafuda

Buick Special

Picked up the Gran Turismo 4 Bible (Japanese) second hand yesterday for very cheap. Nice book. It was missing the DVD but for 600 Yen I don't care.

Played some more today.

Beat the BMW 1 Series races and then tied up some loose ends in the Vintage races in the Professional Hall. I read in the bible that the Buick Special is a beast, and they weren't joking. May look like a tank, but it really shifts. Even the handling isn't bad when you get used to it. Good enough to get a gold in Monaco, but only for 1 A Spec point unfortunately.

Then spent some time trying to gold licenses. Did two more in the very first licence (National B?). However, the final one is a total bitch. The one in a BMW 1 Series. Must have attempted it close to 100 times and still didn't beat it. 0.2 seconds off the required time.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
i think i have all but like three races done and those are the 234hour ones in the endurance hall. and then i need to complete everything in mission mode. problem is those are hard and i'm lazy. though i did do good at getting the delorean in there and i'm good at the slipstream stuff. i love the game. honestly GT4 is one of my favorite games of all time.

hanafuda

Kim _Kaphwan said:
i think i have all but like three races done and those are the 234hour ones in the endurance hall. and then i need to complete everything in mission mode. problem is those are hard and i'm lazy. though i did do good at getting the delorean in there and i'm good at the slipstream stuff. i love the game. honestly GT4 is one of my favorite games of all time.

Nice. Have you golded all the licenses too?

I am at around 38.6% completion. Haven't touched endurance hall yet, but may do the Fuji one first as the prize car is sweet.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
hanafudaX said:
Nice. Have you golded all the licenses too?

I am at around 38.6% completion. Haven't touched endurance hall yet, but may do the Fuji one first as the prize car is sweet.
yeah i've golded all licenses (that is a bitch and a half on some of the tests) and i've done all but the three 24hour races and the rest of the mission mode things. i'm at 88% or somewhere in there the game has been a huge part of my life for a long while now. and i'm waiting tol i get another PS2 to get back at where i left off.

hanafuda

I think I'm going to take the day off work on Friday and have a good GT4 session during the day. I'm looking at doing the Fuji 1000km endurance race, which is about 228 laps.

Just had a quick run to check the competition, and it looks like I'll be running the Sauber C9 as it is the fastest thing I have. Any tips on tyre strategy? I have all racing tyres for the C9 available to me. I realise you can change tyre selection during pit stops but seen as you have already done it...

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
hanafudaX said:
I think I'm going to take the day off work on Friday and have a good GT4 session during the day. I'm looking at doing the Fuji 1000km endurance race, which is about 228 laps.

Just had a quick run to check the competition, and it looks like I'll be running the Sauber C9 as it is the fastest thing I have. Any tips on tyre strategy? I have all racing tyres for the C9 available to me. I realise you can change tyre selection during pit stops but seen as you have already done it...
just stick with racing medium. this race isn't as crucial on the tires. but equip nitrous for that long straight stretch to pass everyone super fast.

hanafuda

Kim _Kaphwan said:
just stick with racing medium. this race isn't as crucial on the tires. but equip nitrous for that long straight stretch to pass everyone super fast.

That reminds me actually: I have yet to buy nitro for any of my cars as I am keeping them all base spec at present. How do you use the nitro, or does it kick in automatically?

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
hanafudaX said:
That reminds me actually: I have yet to buy nitro for any of my cars as I am keeping them all base spec at present. How do you use the nitro, or does it kick in automatically?
R1 kicks it in hold it down to let it keep boosting.

don't keep your car's stock. mod the hell out of em and get em as fast as you can. you'll be glad you did later on when they win you races.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Gran Turismo lost all its difficulty after #2. Well at least now the makers of GT are now making a Gran Turismo for Motorcycles. That should be interesting and I might pick it up. I am getting bored of Moto Racer and I never like Moto GP.

hanafuda

Xian Xi said:
Gran Turismo lost all its difficulty after #2.

Not really. A race in GT4 is as difficult or as easy as you want to make it, hence the A Spec system. It isn't easy winning races when you are racing for a lot of A Spec points.

Some of the races just aren't easy full stop. I'm currently trying to win the Hong Kong race in the final event in the Professional Hall: 18 laps of Hong Kong. I'm in an unmodded C9. My first attempt I came a disasterous 5th. Second attempt I came 2nd, but my tyre strategy was wrong and I just don't know the course well enough yet to get consistently competitive lap times. The lead car is fast...

@ Kim Kaphwan

Thanks for the nitro explanation.

For the cars my plan is to get 2 of each of my favourites: 1 stock and 1 modded. For the moment they are all going to stay stock apart from tyres :)

hanafuda

I am upset.

I played the Hong Kong race again. Drove well enough to win by a fraction, but tyre strategy was weak and they were shot by the end of the race and I couldn't compete. Came 2nd by 13 seconds.

Then I did it again with the perfect tyre strategy. Drove well, and although I really had to push to slowly break down the lead of the top car, I did it and won by 3.6 seconds.

Then, while sitting back and enjoying the replay, lets just say that the power tripped, and I hadn't saved the game data at that point :mad:

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
man i hate hong kong. too many super sharp turns and not enough time to build up a ton of speed and you always end up hitting other cars as it's so narrow. one of my most hated tracks. it pisses me off more than any other.

and dude, those cars make huge huge performance jumps by just tuning the suspension and lightning them. i can see why you'd keep em stock, but that's just so unorthodox to me. then again even my real cars in real life have all been modded.

hanafuda

Kim _Kaphwan said:
man i hate hong kong. too many super sharp turns and not enough time to build up a ton of speed and you always end up hitting other cars as it's so narrow. one of my most hated tracks. it pisses me off more than any other.

and dude, those cars make huge huge performance jumps by just tuning the suspension and lightning them. i can see why you'd keep em stock, but that's just so unorthodox to me. then again even my real cars in real life have all been modded.

Yeah, I didn't like Hong Kong much either, but now I am pretty good on it so like it a lot more :) The same went for Opera Paris, and that is in the same series of races, only in reverse.

Yeah, I know that modding them makes huge differences. I 100%ed GT3, and modded most of the cars I had in that, but for GT4 I want to keep them all stock for the moment, then, for my favourite cars I plan to get a second one of the same model and then mod that.

Also, at the moment, modding what I have would give me too much of an advantage over the CPU cars, and I want to keept the races quite tough and challenging. Much more rewarding that way, like gradually breaking down the lead of the head car in Hong Kong over a series of laps.

hanafuda

Well, I did the Hong Kong race yet again, and won by a comfortable margin this time. Not surprising after doing about 100 laps of the circuit in that car :loco:

This time I was very keen to save the data before doing anything else. Nice milestone, as I have now 'golded' the Pro Hall.

Tomorrow it is 228 laps of Fuji :)

Anyone interested in getting some lap time challenges going?

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
hanafudaX said:
Well, I did the Hong Kong race yet again, and won by a comfortable margin this time. Not surprising after doing about 100 laps of the circuit in that car :loco:

This time I was very keen to save the data before doing anything else. Nice milestone, as I have now 'golded' the Pro Hall.

Tomorrow it is 228 laps of Fuji :)

Anyone interested in getting some lap time challenges going?
Sure, I'm up for some lap time challenges.

How about best lap at Circuit De La Sarthe I?

hanafuda

Lets Gekiga In said:
Sure, I'm up for some lap time challenges.

How about best lap at Circuit De La Sarthe I?

Cool.

Yeah, that sounds good. Which car/setup/tyres?

Here is another to start the ball rolling.

Circuit: Hong Kong (normal)
Car: Sauber C9 (unmodded)
Tyres: Front - R4, Rear R3
Time: 1:09:490

Last edited:

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
hanafudaX said:
Cool.

Yeah, that sounds good. Which car/setup/tyres?

Here is another to start the ball rolling.

Circuit: Hong Kong (normal)
Car: Sauber C9 (unmodded)
Tyres: Front - R4, Rear R3
Time: 1:09:x (need to double check the exact time, but it is a 1:09)
Doesn't matter which car, I think you should be able to use any car. I want to see what the best car can be for the Sarthe I.

I'll be using an Audi R8 (just got it today). And as for tires, standard ones on whichever racing car you use would be fine.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
i wish i had a PS2 still i need to get back into this game. i doubt anyone can beat some of the records i set with my chevelle that car and i were like one singular being. there was no road, no bumps, just me and the car sliding and gliding over everything. i even did a couple rally courses with the chevelle i had it tuned just right. and when you'd fly down the straight highway section on seattle circuit with bruce springsteen doing jungleland off of his born to run album with clarence clemons playing his saxophone solo right in the middle of the song the game seemed to stop and everything was real for a moment. the highway, the chevelle, the song. it was all surreal. that is one of my favorite games of all time for good reason. it's just too awesome.

hanafuda

Lets Gekiga In said:
Doesn't matter which car, I think you should be able to use any car. I want to see what the best car can be for the Sarthe I.

I'll be using an Audi R8 (just got it today). And as for tires, standard ones on whichever racing car you use would be fine.

OK.

I just checked my time for Hong Kong and made the edit.

Kim:

Yeah, the game is awesome.

Right, I'm off to face the Fuji challenge....

Smiley

Quiz Detective
last gt game I played was the seond one, when my ps2 still worked. hate racing games and sports titles in general.