Got one of those little SNK Gameroom Classics bartops

EagleTG

n00b

That's pretty hot... I was going to build one, then I stumbled into the one I got. I still might build one on a slightly smaller scale. Yours is a nice, clean-looking build though.

Edit: I had actually found your post on that bartop a while back, it's what alerted me to North Coast Customs and their bartop units. I had no idea they made them. I might still pick one up one of these days.

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member

wizardnj

n00b
Looking for game room sd images

Can anyone help me find some of these other game images I just got mine from ebay couple months ago finally decided to see what else there was for it and saw this forum.

Thanks
Wiz

I took a hard look at the SNK Gameroom Classics bartop, and decided for several reasons that it wasn't for me. So I built something on my own instead:

http://amoddinghomecompanion.blogspot.com/2010/11/my-fall-project-neo-geo-bartop-arcade.html

Let me know what you think.

Simply beautiful, that is why I am looking for one of my own bartops, I was planning to re-do the control panel to be one player and install a controller port for 2player.

I was also thinking it would be awesome to have 2, and then use a Jamma splitter so that you could have 2 player head to head, or side by side, with each player having their own monitor and redoing both control panel so they're in the middle.

Hmmm, that gets me thinking, maybe it'd be better to just find some small RGB monitors and make an astro city style bartop setup... :buttrock:

sensa

n00b
just found this thread

i bought a monitor chassis about 2 yrs ago, dint know what it was but looked clean and interesting ,well come to find out its out of the taito counter top in this thread.my problem is i have no clue as to what the pin connectors on the chassis go to.does any one have a mapped out picture they would post or send me.I would really appreciate it.

395ca268e26f4b7fad20c8425e868f2c.jpg

I just got one of these bartops, I've changed all the controls out to Happ Comp sticks and convex buttons, and I'm gonna put a Jamma harness in and get an RGB>VGA converter, so I can throw in real arcade boards, right now it has a PC and emulation software in there (it's quite fun as-is, but I prefer the real thing).

I wish I could find the SNK or Taito ones for a good price so I could have a real RGB monitor and Jamma harness.

Avast Taito! Ye be p0w

Avast Taito! Ye be p0wn’d!

Great news t' all Taito / PVGTECH / SNK multigame owners out thar wit' release o' Taito-Tools.zip th' encryption has finally been cracked.

Attached ye will find a pair o' windows tools which will allow ye t' extract 'n create th' Taito / PVGTECH / SNK master.img files used on th' multigame boards. Both tools automatically apply th' correct encryption method by default so no password be required. Th' compression ratio has also been improved which will yield weeer (littler) master.img files.

Thar be a full readme.txt file in th' Taito-Tools.zip file detailin' th' process 'n explains th' requirements to customize th' images (spash, menus, etc) 'n th' animations (avi). Me board now boot ‘n wit' th' Jolly Roger flin’ proud.

May th' games begin! :buttrock:

taito-tools.zip

@ TaitoCracker

_

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
ok please explain to me if putting other roms work with this?

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
added a unibios 3.0 to mine.

this does compress correctly

mr aize

Dodgeball Yakuza
I was also thinking it would be awesome to have 2, and then use a Jamma splitter so that you could have 2 player head to head, or side by side, with each player having their own monitor and redoing both control panel so they're in the middle.

I had the same idea, but would you need a jamma splitter? I was thinking of putting two scart plugs on the back (one in, one out) and two dsubs, one in, one out) and having a separate on switch for the monitor and the game power supply. That way, if you wanted to play a two player game, you would turn on the monitor and the board in one, and just the monitor on the other, link the out scart of the first, to the in of the second and the in control port of the first to the out of the second and bam! Two player awesomeness!

This would also mean, that if you didn't have two, you could still each play with your own screen, just as long as you had another tv and a controller.

Last edited:
just got the SNK PVGTech Bartop

Hey guys, I just picked up a SNK PVG Tech bartop for 100$ locally with the board removed. I plan on setting this up as a small mame cabinet, but I have a lot of questions. First off, I am experienced with rewiring the sticks and buttons, but as far as hooking the monitor and control board up to a PC I am lost. Is it possible to convert the monitor to VGA? Will I need to buy separate control boards for the sticks/buttons, or is there a way to hook the JAMMA slot directly up to a PC? If anyone has any experience modding one of these please let me know.

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
Hey guys, I just picked up a SNK PVG Tech bartop for 100$ locally with the board removed. I plan on setting this up as a small mame cabinet, but I have a lot of questions. First off, I am experienced with rewiring the sticks and buttons, but as far as hooking the monitor and control board up to a PC I am lost. Is it possible to convert the monitor to VGA? Will I need to buy separate control boards for the sticks/buttons, or is there a way to hook the JAMMA slot directly up to a PC? If anyone has any experience modding one of these please let me know.

Get a semi-recent motherboard with a PCIe slot and get an Ultimarc ArcadeVGA. That will give you the 15KHz signal you need for video. Not sure what kind of connectors are on your monitor, so can't really help there. Take a picture and post it here. Ultimarc also sells a J-PAC for going JAMMA > PC.

I ended up purchasing this JAMMA to PC board that looks like it will do the trick and it is in the mail.

http://www.hollandcomputers.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=6136&idcategory=0

Another question - the power connectors for this are a DC+5V and DC+12V - Im assuming that I solder these to the +5v and +12v open pins on the harness? I was comparing this to the adapter you can wire yourself with a fingerboard on the PC 2 Jamma project, Im OK with spending 40$ to not have to do all that pin connecting myself.

I can post pictures later

klin

n00b
If I want to install a vga crt monitor to the cabinet, would it be 15" since viewable will be 14"?

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
Anyone have a front monitor bezel from one of these cabs they want to sell?

Pinballer

n00b
I have one of these boards and several years ago I downloaded the various SD image files. Now I can't locate where I saved the files!!

Can someone please point me in the direction of where to download the SNK & Taito files?

JRL80

n00b
Hi everyone..I'm a newbie...I know this is an old thread but was wondering if someone can help me out. I picked up one of those 10 game Taito Gameroom Classics table top machines. Would someone mind sending me the files for the 6 game SNK? And also, is it as simple as swapping the Taito card for the SNK card and turning it on (besides adding more buttons)? I appreciate all of your help in advance.

Happy New Year everyone!

XXVII

n00b
I figured out how to make some more Neo Geo games run on this thing. In addition to the 6 games that originally came with it, I have verified 17 more games working (2 of those were discovered by mattosborn on KLOV last year), and maybe 4 more if the right ROMs can be found.

You're still limited to only having six games in the menu at a time. I haven't solved that puzzle.

Unfortunately for some of these games, you have to trade a certain game's slot to allow it to run, like you can't have both Metal Slug 2 and Blazing Star together, for instance. I'll explain it in my next post.

Here is the updated list of available games.

Key
  • :A: Original game
  • :B: Additionally supported game
  • :C: Game requires a donor (Underlined = donor game)
  • :D: Should be playable but so far unsuccessful

• :B:Alpha Mission II
  • :B:Art of Fighting
  • :D:Baseball Stars
  • :B:Baseball Stars 2
  • :C:Blazing Star
  • :B:Cyber-Lip
  • :C:Eightman
  • :C:Fatal Fury
  • :B:Fatal Fury Special
  • :C:Football Frenzy
  • :B:Ghost Pilots
  • :A:King of Fighters '95
  • :A:King of the Monsters
  • :B:Last Resort
  • :A:League Bowling
  • :A:Metal Slug 2
  • :D:NAM-1975
  • :C:Neo Mr. Do!
  • :C:Puzzle De Pon!
  • :D:Riding Hero
  • :B:Robo Army
  • :A:Samurai Shodown
  • :B:Sengoku
  • :C:Soccer Brawl
  • :B:Super Sidekicks
  • :D:The Super Spy
  • :A:Top Player's Golf

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
I figured out how to make some more Neo Geo games run on this thing. In addition to the 6 games that originally came with it, I have verified 17 more games working (2 of those were discovered by mattosborn on KLOV last year), and maybe 4 more if the right ROMs can be found.

You're still limited to only having six games in the menu at a time. I haven't solved that puzzle.

Unfortunately for some of these games, you have to trade a certain game's slot to allow it to run, like you can't have both Metal Slug 2 and Blazing Star together, for instance. I'll explain it in my next post.

Here is the updated list of available games.

• :B:Alpha Mission II
  • :B:Art of Fighting
  • :D:Baseball Stars
  • :B:Baseball Stars 2
  • :C:Blazing Star
  • :B:Cyber-Lip
  • :C:Eightman
  • :C:Fatal Fury
  • :B:Fatal Fury Special
  • :C:Football Frenzy
  • :B:Ghost Pilots
  • :A:King of Fighters '95
  • :A:King of the Monsters
  • :B:Last Resort
  • :A:League Bowling
  • :A:Metal Slug 2
  • :D:NAM-1975
  • :C:Neo Mr. Do!
  • :C:Puzzle De Pon!
  • :D:Riding Hero
  • :B:Robo Army
  • :A:Samurai Shodown
  • :B:Sengoku
  • :C:Soccer Brawl
  • :B:Super Sidekicks
  • :D:The Super Spy
  • :A:Top Player's Golf

Very cool! Are there any vids on youtube on the process and or it working?

XXVII

n00b
:forw:REQUIREMENTS

You'll need a standard SD card since the one in the board is unmodifiable. Check the label to make sure it's not an SDHC card since the board can't read them. A standard SD card is 2GB or less, but some 2GB cards are SDHC so you'll need to verify.

Download taito-tools.zip by taitocracker up above. (Thanks man!)

For many of the possible games, you will also need a hex editor. The one I used is Notepad++ v5.9 with its hex editor plugin. Supposedly newer versions of Notepad++ don't support the plugin, so keep that in mind if you want to use the same tool I did. When you download the plugin, place the .dll file from the download into the 'plugins' folder where you installed Notepad++.

If you don't already have the Neo Geo 6 game image, you can visit this thread by mattosborn on KLOV about the modded image he made. He put in UniBIOS, different single-frame animations for faster booting, new menu graphics, and swapped out two of the games. Metal Slug 2 is swapped with Blazing Star and King of the Monsters is swapped with Neo Mr. Do! I will explain shortly why these particular swaps were made.

:forw:DECRYPTING THE IMAGE

As described in the readme.txt that came with taito-tools, use tunzip.exe on the .img file. You don't have to do it from the command line; if you put tunzip.exe in the same folder as your .img, you can drag the .img file onto tunzip.exe and it will work its magic.

You will see all the files that make up the image. The game ROMs are all .bin files, the menu sound effects are .wav, all the graphics are .bmp, animations as .avi, and the executables are 'app.img' and 'syscheck.img'.

The .bin files are the same ones you would find in a MAME ROM .zip from a ROM site. The board just can't handle zip decompression so the files are stored inside the image uncompressed. All Neo Geo games have a number associated with them, and their ROM files are labeled accordingly. For the games that are included on the standard 6 game image, you have: King of Fighters '95 (084), King of the Monsters (016), League Bowling (019), Metal Slug 2 (241), Samurai Shodown (045), and Top Player's Golf (003).

:forw:SWAPPING GAMES

mattosborn swapped Metal Slug 2 and King of the Monsters for Blazing Star and Neo Mr. Do! These are actually the only games possible to switch out without hex editing. The board only allows you to swap games that use identical ROM chip layouts. If you look at the MAME ROMs for all four of these games, they are structured the same way: ###-c1.bin, ###-c2.bin, ###-c3.bin, ###-c4.bin, ###-m1.bin, ###-p1.bin, ###-p2.bin, ###-s1.bin, ###-v1.bin, ###-v2.bin, ###-v3.bin.

To change one game into another, take note of the original game's number ('241' in Metal Slug 2's case), delete all the .bin files that start with that number, paste the new game's .bin files into that folder, then rename all the new game's .bin files with the original game's number.

For example, to swap Metal Slug 2 with Blazing Star, delete all the .bin files starting with '241' in your folder, paste in the .bin files from your Blazing Star ROM .zip, and then rename them all from '239' to '241' (i.e., '239-c1.bin' becomes '241-c1.bin').

Without doing any hex editing, your only game swap options are:
  • Replace King of the Monsters with Alpha Mission II, Fatal Fury, Neo Mr. Do!, or Sengoku.
  • Replace Metal Slug 2 with Blazing Star, or any of the following games but they will all be buggy: Alpha Mission II, Fatal Fury, Fight Fever, King of the Monsters, Neo Mr. Do!, or Sengoku.

To open the maximum potential of the unit, you will need to hex edit the board executable.

:forw:HEX EDITING THE EXECUTABLE

Open app.img in your hex editor. If you are using Notepad++, after you open the file, go to the menu: Plugins > HEX-Editor > View in HEX.

Use the Find tool to locate the first instance of 'kof95'. In Notepad++'s menu, go to Search > Find. Switch the Data type to 'ANSI String' and then in the Find type text input, type in 'kof95' without the quotes.

Your first result will be this string:

Code:
6b 6f 66 39 35 00 00 00 6b 6f 74 64 00 00 00 00 kof95...kotm....
6c 62 6f 77 6c 69 6e 67 00 00 00 00 6d 73 6c 75 lbowling....mslu
67 32 00 00 73 61 6d 73 68 6f 00 00 74 70 67 6f g2..samsho..tpgo
6c 66 00 00                                     lf..

This is the part of the program that determines which games get loaded and in which order. Aside from lbowling, each game gets exactly 8 bits for its name; lbowling appears to have 12 bits.

Code:
[b]1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8[/b]
k o f 9 5 . . .
k o t m . . . .
l b o w l i n g . . . .
m s l u g 2 . .
s a m s h o . .
t p g o l f . .

Notice that names that are shorter than 8 characters have periods spacing them out to 8 characters. This is important! These characters are not periods, they just appear to be on the right side. On the left side, you can see that they are null characters; the hexadecimal counterpart to each '.' is '00'. I don't know how to input a null on the right side, so I go back to the left and type '00' each time I need a null. Below are two lines showing the difference between null characters and periods. On the right side they appear to be the same, but on the left, you can see that the periods have a hex value of '2e' and not '00' so the executable will process them differently.

Code:
[b]CORRECT:[/b]   6b 6f 66 39 35 [b]00 00 00[/b] 6b 6f 74 64 [b]00 00 00 00[/b] kof95[b]...[/b]kotm[b]....[/b]
[b]INCORRECT:[/b] 6b 6f 66 39 35 [b]2e 2e 2e[/b] 6b 6f 74 64 [b]2e 2e 2e 2e[/b] kof95[b]...[/b]kotm[b]....[/b]

These names, kof95, lbowling, etc., are used as references lower down in the program. If you search for 'kof95' again, you will be in the middle of a lookup table for 20 different game names and all the associated .bin files that go with those games. The reason you can only swap games that use the exact same ROM chip structure is because when this executable is told to run a game, it accesses this lookup table to see which .bin files it is supposed to load.

Here is the list of all of the games that are in the table:
  • Alpha Mission II (alpham2)
  • Art of Fighting (aof)
  • Baseball Stars (bstars)
  • Baseball Stars 2 (bstars2)
  • Cyber-Lip (cyberlip)
  • Fatal Fury Special (fatfursp)
  • Ghost Pilots (gpilots)
  • King of Fighters '95 (kof95)
  • King of the Monsters (kotm)
  • Last Resort (lresort)
  • League Bowling (lbowling)
  • NAM-1975 (nam1975)
  • Metal Slug 2 (mslug2)
  • Riding Hero (ridhero)
  • Robo Army (roboarmy)
  • Samurai Shodown (samsho)
  • Sengoku (sengoku)
  • Super Sidekicks (ssideki)
  • The Super Spy (superspy)
  • Top Player's Golf (tpgolf)

Without doing any .bin renaming, you can change one of the game names in the menu string to one of these, drop its ROM files into the folder, re-encrypt the image, and they will run properly. For example, you could change the menu to this:

Code:
alpham2.aof.....
fatfursp....gpil
ots.lresort.seng
oku.

I couldn't verify that Baseball Stars, NAM-1975, Riding Hero, or The Super Spy actually work. The ROMs I have of those games have different structures than is expected by the lookup table, so they didn't load for me. I assume I need older versions of these ROMs but I didn't have the motivation to find them.

:forw:CANNIBALIZING GAMES

In order to run the wider selection of possible games, you are going to have to sacrifice at least one of those 20 games for each game you want to add.

There is a set of four games on that list that have identical ROM chip layouts. I call these the 'common' games:

• Alpha Mission II (alpham2)
  • King of the Monsters (kotm)
  • Metal Slug 2 (mslug2)
  • Sengoku (sengoku)

The next two match the most extra games:

• Last Resort (lresort)
  • Robo Army (roboarmy)

The next handful match small numbers of games themselves, but in practice the only new thing you'll get out of any of them is Puzzle De Pon!:

• Baseball Stars 2 (bstars2)
  • Fatal Fury Special (fatfursp)
  • King of Fighters '95 (kof95)
  • Super Sidekicks (ssideki)

Not all games with matching layouts will work with each other unfortunately, and it feels kind of arbitrary which ones will work and which won't. I think the compatibility issues are because the Hanaho designers have added extra instructions for each game at the end of their entries in the lookup table, probably starting addresses when booting each game. I think this address is set at a different location in each game, and when you try to boot into a game with a save state that doesn't line up very well, strange things or crashes will happen.

For instance, if you place the .bin files for Neo Mr. Do! in all four common game spots, it will crash during loading for Alpha Mission II, and Metal Slug 2 will have graphic and sound glitches. King of the Monsters and Sengoku will both work correctly, however they start at slightly different points with KotM's animation starting a fraction of a section later then in Sengoku's.

:forw:PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER

At this point, just repeat the game swapping and hex editing instructions as described earlier with the games of your choice. Pick out each desired compatible game and pay attention to any required swaps in the lists in the next post.

The game list I tried out on my machine is: Blazing Star, Puzzle De Pon!, Alpha Mission II, Last Resort, Ghost Pilots, and Neo Mr. Do!. I have a two-button standup Taito cabinet and no woodworking skills so my game options are pretty limited, but I love shmups.

Here's how my modified game string appears:
Code:
mslug2..ssideki.
alpham2.....lres
ort.gpilots.kotm

If you wanted to do a full fighter menu, you could do:
Code:
aof.....sengoku. = Art of Fighting, Fatal Fury (swapping Sengoku)
fatfursp....kof9 = Fatal Fury Special, King of Fighters '95
5...kotm....sams = King of the Monsters, Samurai Shodown
ho..

After you've modified app.img and placed in all the new .bin files, you will need to use tzip.exe from taito-tools to re-encrypt the image. I place tzip.exe in the same folder that I assemble the game in, then create the image file in the directory above it. Open cmd.exe from the Start menu, change directory to the folder where you are assembling your new image, then type:
Code:
tzip ..\master.img *.*

This tells tzip.exe to create an image file, named master.img, in the directory above the one you are currently in, and to put in it all the files in the folder. I haven't tried it, but I assume if you try to create the image file in the same directory, tzip.exe will try to insert master.img into itself and cause a problem.

Your image file needs to be named 'master.img' and be put in the top folder on your SD card for the board to be able to find it.