Garou MOTW 2 finally being made?

steve11

Morden's Lackey
Might as well inject my 2 cents-

I don’t think SNKP is really inferior to SNK. SNK had it’s share of stinkers and screw ups, SNKP started off rough and (as was expected) has had some issues along the way. Though honestly all the Atomiswave games I purchased from them (SS Tenka, KOF XI, MS6) were pretty damn good. Yeah I can pick small issues to pitch a fit over (no blood in tenka LOL), but in truth the gameplay is fairly solid, the games are fun, and I’ve been playing them regularly.

They have definetly moved in the right direction and their quality is improving. I’m not as gun shy about their products as I once was.

My main worry is the mass migration to the Taito X2. While the platform is powerful, versatile, and blah blah, I can’t help but look at the prices of even the X and think “Holy fuck that’s what it costs”. It’s absurdly expensive for the parts that go into it, is completely unnecessary for the type of games they produce, and will ultimately alienate a fair amount of people that would have continued to purchase their products on the atomiswave.

One of the great things about SNK games is that you were always able to own the original game at a reasonable price. Yeah the AES was pricey, and true even an MVS cost of ownership ends up being a ton more expensive then any console. However for what you got the prices were great and both offered a true experience. Even the atomiswave isn’t that pricey when you look at it.

Going to the X2 could change all that. I don’t want to play ports, but if the cost of ownership is insanely high I might not have a choice.

Though I’ll withhold judgement till the products are released.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
dont forget normal people dont buy arcade hardware and snk doesnt expect you to.

plus the mvs hardware is how old, (even atomis wave is based on old hardware) which is what makes it affordable.

back in the 90s or whatever, $350 for an ngh game was cheap compared to the mvs cost.

i think some people forget this.

im just hoping the next round of ports wont be defaulted to the ps2, or stay in japan.

Last edited:

RATM

Zack de la Neo,
I'd say SNKP has at least been on the right track lately. Something alot of people forgot is that when SNK went out of business they were really fucking broke. I think it's safe to assume SNKP had very little in the way of financial resources early on in their career. Redrawing 2D sprites is really expensive, hence you won't see Capcom (who is definitly a more stable company) doing another 2D street fighter anytime soon. My point being, SNKP used what they had at the time and the end result was MS4 and 5, and several King Of Fighters games. No one is going to put those games in the top 10, but I like to believe those games enabled them to make more focused projects such as Neo Geo Battle Collesium and King of Fighters XI.

Fast forward to where we are now, I think SNKP has alot more going for itself, and this will be evident in the next King Of Fighters (completely redrawn) and hopefully a Garou sequel.

I think the real issue as of now isn't SNKP's inability to produce a completed, professional product, but more of a fact that Mark Of the Wolves is a way above average game. One of the best games of the 90s, and one of the best fighting games of all time. I would venture to say that even the "real" SNK would have a hell of a time making a sequel that pleased fans of the original. Needless to say, there are some very big shoes to fill, and it's not the first time a video game company has had to deal with this issue. I mean, honestly, how many people would say they prefer SS4 over SS2? It's regardless that SS4 is fun and solid game, SS2 set a standard and still retains a sort of "legendary" status.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
not sonic said:
im just hoping the next round of ports wont be defaulted to the ps2, or stay in japan.

The fanbase on PS2 is the largest, if there were ports on Xbox or GC it would be like a shot in the foot, financially.
I don't expect SNKUSA to port anything that's Japan-only over here.

Violent Ryo

Loyal Neo-Disciple
It's safe to assume the PS2 will be alive for a good while in Japan, so yes Playmore will keep supporting it, which I have no problems with, having a modded PS2.

I just can't wait for new announcements...and I do think this new interest in a MOTW might just lead to a new game.

Who knows...

ViewtifulZFO

Street Hoop Star
Um...there doesn't seem to be any confirmation for an MOTW 2 anywhere in the first post. Or anywhere in this thread for that matter.

I think I just wasted 20 minutes.

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
ViewtifulZFO said:
Um...there doesn't seem to be any confirmation for an MOTW 2 anywhere in the first post. Or anywhere in this thread for that matter.

I think I just wasted 20 minutes.

OMG!!! Do you want them back?

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
ViewtifulZFO said:
Yes. Send them in the mail.

Because time is a continuous quanity, you could never break the time sent into countable values to determine if the correct amount of time sent was indeed the amount desired.

E=MC2

Ass Troll,, Ignorant, , , , (Do Not Resuscitate)
still no new info, huh. lotta releas titles and shit but no info about the games. well doesnt really matter though been waiting too damn long for a true new kof and a follow up to motw. now if they could get SS back to where it was till 3 and 4.

kroko^unleashed

Rugal's Thug
So there will be more motw-chars in kofxii and there repainting the sprites so they will have new sprites for a new motw hm.. hope is the last thing to die :F

JammaGuy

Previously I-d-o-s-k-8
wait, that post above is a slot machine, so is this for real a new arcade video game, or a slot machine?

-idosk8

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
If nothing else, I guess the slot machine confirms the story of the first Fatal Fury taking place in '91 (says Jeff dies in 1981), for anyone who was still wondering. I guess I'd kind of like to see this as a curiousity, even though few things bore me as much as a slot machine. But who the fuck is Alice?

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Everyone is ranting about SNKP putting out stinkers...

Do we forget:

Top Player's Golf
Mutation Nation
LOSJ
Eight Man
Robo Army
Sengoku 2001
Joy Joy Kid
Football Frenzy

Please, people.. SNK sucked a lot of dick in its day.

Cain Highwind

Kula's Candy
SouthtownKid said:
But who the fuck is Alice?

I was curious about that myself, she seems kind of familiar, but...no she's a new character. And she wears Terry's hat...huh?

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
VanillaThunder said:
Everyone is ranting about SNKP putting out stinkers...

Do we forget:

Top Player's Golf
Mutation Nation
LOSJ
Eight Man
Robo Army
Sengoku 2001
Joy Joy Kid
Football Frenzy

Please, people.. SNK sucked a lot of dick in its day.

To be fair though, pretty much all the games you listed there were very early releases back when SNK didn't have quite a firm grasp on the hardware and implimentation of game mechanics.

It's basically the same deal with SNKP. They were new, they released some reasonably sub par games (though I found them to be much better than SNK's starting titles), and are now finding their footing and releasing quality stuff.

kroko^unleashed

Rugal's Thug
Fygee said:
To be fair though, pretty much all the games you listed there were very early releases back when SNK didn't have quite a firm grasp on the hardware and implimentation of game mechanics.

It's basically the same deal with SNKP. They were new, they released some reasonably sub par games (though I found them to be much better than SNK's starting titles), and are now finding their footing and releasing quality stuff.
Thats so true mate. i like kofxi much. if they touch motw2, it can be a really good game.

Izlude

n00b
I would love to see another Garou game, but I think the gameplay could use some tweaking because MOTW didn't feel like a Garou game at all to me. It felt more like another KOF than a Garou game. They gotta add back the line battle from the series, and tighten up some of the gameplay mechanics, like break moves for example. While they they were a neat feature, they made for all too easy launcher combo's.

One of the other things that bugged me in MOTW was that almost every super was done with a QCFx2 motion, making it very easy to pull out supers whenever you wanted, not to mention accidently using them. MOTW has some awesome controls, but maybe they are a little too awesome for it's own good which made it easier to make mistakes.

Finally, some more returning characters would be nice to add to some more variety, which I think MOTW was severly lacking in. Mary, Andy and Mai are a given, but others like Rick Strowd and Xiang-Fei would be great since they have practically no story in RB2 at all, and some old favorites like Richard, Bash, Yamazaki, Billy, etc, would really beef it up. A couple new faces couldn't hurt ethier.

Last edited:

Cain Highwind

Kula's Candy
It just hit me!

NOW I know who Alice is, and I can't believe I forgot. She's that unused character design from the Real Bout Dominated Mind bonus disc I discovered recently.

Alice in Tae Kwon Do Garb

Another Alternate design for Alice:

Alice with Shorts:

Alice with Pants:

So yeah I guess they just dug this one up. It looks like she has a last name too, but that's as big as the pictures come, and I don't know enough Japanese to clarify.