Firearm enthusiast thread

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Saw that, but it doesn't mean much. I know we're weary of the political scene right now w/ regard to gun control but a general ban on semi-automatic firearms is clearly unconstitutional. The Heller case itself is about a semi-auto handgun and SCOTUS in the majority opinion straight up said that handguns were the principle methods by which American's exercise their right to self defense as protected by the Second Amendment.

If a ban passed I imagine the NRA and SAF would have a lawsuit and injunction (?) against that bill that it would never see any application.

It's all rumor right now - who is the "credible source?"

Andy Is A Bastard

A Bastard, Andy Is,
I know, I know. There's going to be a LOT of proposed shenanigans that will never pass muster, but isn't that how we ended up with the Hughes amendment? Just tacked on and pushed through "in the dead of night", so to speak?

A little extra vigilance (and harassment of elected officials) never hurt anything...

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I fear that magazine bans may be permissible under the law - but I certainly hope they aren't.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Saw that, but it doesn't mean much. I know we're weary of the political scene right now w/ regard to gun control but a general ban on semi-automatic firearms is clearly unconstitutional. The Heller case itself is about a semi-auto handgun and SCOTUS in the majority opinion straight up said that handguns were the principle methods by which American's exercise their right to self defense as protected by the Second Amendment.

If a ban passed I imagine the NRA and SAF would have a lawsuit and injunction (?) against that bill that it would never see any application.

It's all rumor right now - who is the "credible source?"

Oh it's serious as a heart attack...and going on RIGHT NOW...motherfucking Chicago liberals. Here's a link to some of the nonsense this faggot is attaching to an already approved anti violence bill, read the underlined part lower in the script:

http://ilga.gov/legislation/fulltex...d=HB&LegID=56601&DocNum=0815&GAID=11&Session=

Sneaky cock suckers...

And another attack on yet another Pre approved bill:

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ful...d=HB&LegID=57242&DocNum=1263&GAID=11&Session=

These cock suckers are putting on a full fledged attack during this lame duck session...

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Passage of that can only end one way.
Badly...

Well...one just passed to the floor on a vote of 6 to 4. Second (magazine registration) is up for debate now. Listening to live audio...

...and the second, calling for actual registration of an actual >10 rd magazine just passed too...un-fucking-believable...they actually had a guy from the state fucking police stand up and say they have no idea how they would even implement such a system but they still sent it to the floor...amazing...

Last edited:

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Well...one just passed to the floor on a vote of 6 to 4. Second (magazine registration) is up for debate now. Listening to live audio...

...and the second, calling for actual registration of an actual >10 rd magazine just passed too...un-fucking-believable...they actually had a guy from the state fucking police stand up and say they have no idea how they would even implement such a system but they still sent it to the floor...amazing...
Link to audio?
I would like to hear this.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Link to audio?
I would like to hear this.

They've finished...it was some serious bullshit and pure stupidity though...disgusting tripe. This is the first time I've ever listened to such a committee and probably the last...that was pure nonsense...

HellioN

20 Year Member
Damn, Tho every word you just said i'm not surprised at.
Anyway, Today I ordered a Hogue short (12") stock & fore end for my 870.
Next on the list is a Wilson front sling loop & Mesa tactical side saddle.
Debating on an 18.5" or 20" barrel & rifle sites or a bead.
Get a +3 mag tube after that.
Guess I should think about a flashlight mount too.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Damn, Tho every word you just said i'm not surprised at.
Anyway, Today I ordered a Hogue short (12") stock & fore end for my 870.
Next on the list is a Wilson front sling loop & Mesa tactical side saddle.
Debating on an 18.5" or 20" barrel & rifle sites or a bead.
Get a +3 mag tube after that.
Guess I should think about a flashlight mount too.

Careful with the +3 mag ext...they're finicky. If you don't adjust them perfectly, they either bind or only allow you to +1 for some reason. One came stock on my 870 and it often drove me crazy on a take-down for cleaning, it threads on so there is no real "good enough" stop point for it when screwing it in. If I would have kept it, I would have gone solid tube eventually because of that damn thing...

HellioN

20 Year Member
Careful with the +3 mag ext...they're finicky. If you don't adjust them perfectly, they either bind or only allow you to +1 for some reason. One came stock on my 870 and it often drove me crazy on a take-down for cleaning, it threads on so there is no real "good enough" stop point for it when screwing it in. If I would have kept it, I would have gone solid tube eventually because of that damn thing...

I'm guessing you speak of the factory Remington extension?

HellioN

20 Year Member
Yup...not a big fan of that thing...

I will keep that in mind.
Mostly looking at the Nordic extensions, seems to be the best of them.
My biggest hang up right now is the barrel, 28" right now.
I'm pretty sure I want rifle sights on this thing, could probably live with a bead if the price was right.
But to go 18" or 20"... have to go handle some I guess.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Is there an easy way to add a rifle peep rear sight to an 870? Or will I need to drill and tap the receiver...?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Is there an easy way to add a rifle peep rear sight to an 870? Or will I need to drill and tap the receiver...?

I looked hard for them back in the day and I found that...drill and tap. I almost went with a rail install and then a peep sight.

Then I bought my FN TPS and said "fuck the 870"...

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
That's what I figured.

It's not worth the trouble to drill and tap when I could just sell the shotgun, spend a little more, and buy one set up like I want.

Any thoughts on those epoxy on front sights? I have a bead sight and was thinking about putting something like the XS Big Dot on my 18" 870. Right now my 870 is just my tertiary HD weapon. I need some buckshot.

HellioN

20 Year Member
Don't know of a way to add rifle sites except to swap for a barrel that already has them.
All of the ghost ring setups I have seen require a drill/tap to the receiver. Not a huge deal but I don't want to bother.
The epoxy sights tend to get good reviews, But their is always the story or two about them getting bashed on something pretty
hard & coming off. Seen people epoxy them on then drill the base (if there is one) & install a roll pin.
photo-6.jpg

I'm going to stick with the 870.

betterdavid

Mr. Big's Thug
I'm waiting on my tax return to finally go all in on my first CA legal AR (probably an LMT defender). Don't have the money for something as grand as a Noveske. Anyone know of any good places to not get totally price gouged in/around Los Angeles?

ObeyMyEgo

Kula's Candy
Good luck getting an Ar, unless you want to pay twice as much as its worth. My buddy just bought an M&p 15 sport for 1099$. They were going for 629 before dec 14th.....

betterdavid

Mr. Big's Thug
Good luck getting an Ar, unless you want to pay twice as much as its worth. My buddy just bought an M&p 15 sport for 1099$. They were going for 629 before dec 14th.....

Sounds about right. Gotta pay to get in some of that sweet grandfather clause action though (even though I really doubt the Feinstein bill will go through with how it's currently written).

One of my local shops had a totally kitted out hybrid of parts for 2k. Also, they just had a couple of new Colts in for 1400. Small markup, but doesn't seem as severe as the one on a bare bones M&P.

ObeyMyEgo

Kula's Candy
Its getting bad. Have you checked the gun broker prices? Some things are still selling pretty close to normal. But some prices are crazy. I watched a m&p 15 sport sell for over 2100 dollars.

Not only that, people are buying these rifles, and no one locally has the ammunition. I cannot fund 223 or 5.56 or 7.62x39 locally. I got lucky and found a spam can of 5.45x39 for 170. So i nabbed it up while i could. Hell, even all the .22LR ammo is sold locally. I'm starting to get nervous over all of this.

The only ammo i have is.
120 rounds of 7.62x39
1000 rounds of 7.5x55 gp11 <3
1000 rounds of .22Lr
15 rounds of .223 -_________- this saddens me.
1400 rounds of 5.45x39

I would love to be able to find some .223 or 7.62x39 without being priced gouged .

HellioN

20 Year Member
Cabela's has .223 starting at $15 per 20. Limit 10 boxes.
Not horrible, but the same ammo was $8 a box three weeks ago.
Have not quite a K on hand right now.
Sticking to .22lr for the foreseeable future.
Just wish I could get my hands on some s&w 15-22
mags so I could ditch the cmmg mags. Back order on
them in ridiculous.
And yea, WTF is the deal with the run on .22lr ammo?
Stuff is scarce right now.

ObeyMyEgo

Kula's Candy
Nearest Cabela's is over 100 miles from me. I shoot mostly steel cased ammo since i don't reload. I don't buy expensive brass just to throw out.

Sportsmanguide is where i usually shop for online orders. They have zero .223/5.45x39/7.62x39 in stock.

I may just sell my S&W m&p 15 ORC 5.56 if i can't find any ammo soon. What good is the rifle without bullets!?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Wait.

That's all I can tell you.

Don't sell anything, don't spend insane amounts of $$ on gouged ammo...don't make any moves you'll land up regretting.

I hear people complain time and time again about gun moves they made during panic times. Sit back, ride it out, be patient. This same thing happened in 2008 the first time Obama was elected, people panicked and bought everything out. It took until late 2009 for ammo to start appearing on shelves in any regular fashion and 2010 for it to be back in stock, at fair prices. Now, with that said, you could get ammo at a fair price if you were diligent, you just had to look for it. Gouged ammo will always be easy to find...Wal Mart was my friend during those times for 9mm...

Whatever you do...DO NOT sell your AR simply because you currently cant get ammo for it...you cant get ammo for anything so whats the difference?

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
You know...I figured here would be the best place to rant about "gun people" a bit...

I love my firearms, as many of you know. I love my rights to have them...also, as many of you know.

But it is WE the firearm owners that are often helping to push this anti-gun agenda.

Shit like this:
2c3f3_Glock_Accessory_4344625736_d8ee756cca.jpg

Or this:
chainsaw_zombie_killer_2.jpg

Does not help the fight in the slightest...it actually hurts...

And so many wonder why politicians want to ban items like these...please enlighten me on the purpose of this firearm other than to kill as many as possible. Like you guys know, I am BEYOND pro-2A but sometimes you have to be reasonable. These items serve zero purpose other than violence...you're not going to hunt with them, there is no sport that uses them and self defense with those items is absurd.

Listen, we all know why we have firearms, its pretty simple. Hunting, defense and sporting. A 30 round magazine for a Glock/pistol has zero purpose in any of those situations...it just doesn't. Neither does a fucking AK with a chain saw on it. Sure, you, I and most reasonable people know these items aren't to be taken seriously but the anti's don't know this. When some California lib holds up a picture of that Glock, or an AR with a 100 round magazine, sally homemaker and Fred breadwinner think "Hmm...those ARE designed to kill people only, lets ban them."

You know...for kids!

As firearms owners, we need to be better than this, smarter than this. The anti's are always going to try to ban firearms but lets certainly not add fuel to the freaking fire buy supporting an industry that makes pointless crap like this. I personally keep a "grandpa-John" double barrel 12ga shotgun and .38 S&W revolver in the home for self defense...not my AR or FN shotgun. Why? Because it's smart, that's why. Using a F'ing AR in a home break in situation is just stupid...and you're only asking for trouble.

I guess what I'm saying is there is no need to poke an already pissed off skunk. Will the anti's always be anti? Sure. Its the fence dwellers we need to worry about, the ignorant masses.

I look at tit this way, when it comes to firearms there's only 3 camps:

-Anti
-Pro
-not sure.

Anti, pro...I don't worry about them because they've made up their minds. Its the mass "not sure" category I worry about. The flitty masses that crap like a glock-bayonet will push into the "anti" category. Is it ignorance? Sure. Is is stupid? Yup. Is it happening? YES. To quote myself yet again "there's no reason to poke the skunk unnecessarily."...

We can sit back and say "It shouldn't matter what we own" all we want...but the simple fact is, it does matter. Unfortunately, it matters to those who vote. I'll give it to you, you're 100% correct, it shouldn't matter but while a man is smart, people are stupid and stupid people buy into the "killing machines" the anti's love ranting about...

Last edited: