Firearm enthusiast thread

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
It's funny...I posted the above over at the Ill concealed carry forums and they are ripping me a new one. Just as I thought they would.

The stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me...I'm often ashamed to admit I'm a gun owner because of the absolute moronic behavior of so many of us...

Ill continue to do what I can in the pro 2A fight but it sure is frustrating when we take the "one step forward, one step back" approach thanks to morons...

Andy Is A Bastard

A Bastard, Andy Is,
Some of us still believe in the no-compromise approach, and I'm proud to stand with you. Don't give up the good fight, because the day we do is the day ignorance wins.

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
It's funny...I posted the above over at the Ill concealed carry forums and they are ripping me a new one. Just as I thought they would.

The stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me...I'm often ashamed to admit I'm a gun owner because of the absolute moronic behavior of so many of us...

Ill continue to do what I can in the pro 2A fight but it sure is frustrating when we take the "one step forward, one step back" approach thanks to morons...

It's annoying how many of the people you talk about above seem to populate gun shows(at least where I'm at). It pisses me off walking around seeing tables of conspiracy literature, plastic knives meant to defeat metal detectors, and all the ridiculous accesorries. Just remember there is an equal amount of raving loonies on the other side too.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Sounds about right. Gotta pay to get in some of that sweet grandfather clause action though (even though I really doubt the Feinstein bill will go through with how it's currently written).

One of my local shops had a totally kitted out hybrid of parts for 2k. Also, they just had a couple of new Colts in for 1400. Small markup, but doesn't seem as severe as the one on a bare bones M&P.

If you can find a Colt 6920CA for 1400 I'd buy it. A standard 6920 could be had for around 1000 out of state before the Newtown shooting, and 1100-1200 in CA, so a $200 markup isn't that bad considering the current state of affairs on the market.

You won't be disappointed with the colt. Just don't settle for some third rate AR if you ever intend to use the weapon for a defensive purpose.

ObeyMyEgo

Kula's Candy
I need to find someone to mill my 6 80% ar 15 lowers. I want to build a few more rifles in non .223/556. I also have 1 ar10 lower. To bad i don't have a manual mill anymore i would of done it if i knew this was going to all go down.

Also, i have a buddy who is selling a .308 m1 garant for 600 my price. I think i may pick it up then post some pictures here when i get it. Price is too good to pass up.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
You need to mill it yourself if you want it to be your firearm.

ObeyMyEgo

Kula's Candy
Is that how it works? I read somewhere as long as the person that mills it for you, didn't sell you the 80% lower it was ok to have it professionally done?

Do you perhaps have a link where i could read up on the legal statistics of this?

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
You must do it yourself.
You can have someone "help" you tho. Just make sure you're never away from the bench .

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
An interesting bit of info related to homocides committed with rifles: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...s.-2011/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-8

Note that in the US, you are 9 times more likely to be either stabbed, beaten, or bludgeoned to death than shot with a rifle (of any type).

And since the dreaded evil AR-15 "assault rifle" is a subset of the rifle category, your chances of being shot with an "assault rifle" are much lower than that.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
You must do it yourself.
You can have someone "help" you tho. Just make sure you're never away from the bench .

This.

I wish I had mill. Actually I wish I had a garage where I could keep my tools.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
IMAG0077_1.jpg

Hogue short stock arrived & installed. Begging for an 18.5" barrel now.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
John Noveske died in a traffic accident the other day. According to the reports his death was due to the fact that he wasn't wearing a seatbelt.

Wear your seatbelt folks.

http://pdxtraffic.blogspot.com/2013/01/fatal-traffic-crash-highway-260-west-of.html

What a waste, only 36.

That's awful...what a waste of life. RIP to him...but...like you said, he should have been wearing a seatbelt, he could be alive right now to "LOL" about his wreck...

I lost a female friend to an accident like that Dec of 2010...a non fatal accident that she would have walked away from had she been wearing her seatbelt.

*EDIT*

Saved up for and bought my bike (as in bicycle...not motorcycle). Now to move on to my next firearm purchase. I have a .22 semi auto on the radar before summer 2014, my daughter will be pushing and prime age to start on pistol training with a light recoil plinker. I liked the Buckmark I used to have but it was heavy and difficult to work on...I'm giving serious thought to a Ruger SR22...thoughts?

Now on to the "fun" gun. As many here know I was bit by the big bore revolver bug a few years back but never was really happy with the .44 mag Super Redhawk I had. I've been looking and considered the following:

-45/70 Magnum research BFR 7.5" (or .460 S&W, or .500 S&W, both also in 7.5")
http://www.magnumresearch.com/Firearms/Magnum-Research-4570-Revolver-75-inch-Barrel.asp

-.44 magnum Super Redhawk Alaskan
http://www.ruger.com/products/superRedhawkAlaskan/models.html

-.44 Magnum S&W 629 2.6, 4 or 5" model
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57770_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57770_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

-.460 S&W 460V 5"
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57771_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

-.500 S&W S&W500 4"
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57771_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

At this point, I'm leaning pretty heavy towards either the 2.6" or 4" 629 in .44 magnum...the 4" is only 2 oz more than the 2.6" and seems more manageable but light enough to give me that "kick in the hand" I'm craving. Oh, I should add, this thing is a range blaster only...no carry, or hunting, or anything else like that.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
If you get a hand cannon in .44 magnum then you'll have to get a carbine in .44 magnum and run some real hot 44 loads through it :D

I'd get a .44 magnum versus all the others you listed, though that .45-70 looks amazing. That's a cartridge I wish I could afford a rifle in and the ammo to feed it.

I bet you'll have the most fun with the .44 magnum.

I don't have any firearm purchases in mind in the near future, I'm waiting out the panic. I think I'll finish my AR (need a light and a few other things) and work on getting the gear I want (holsters, etc)

Still...a Glock 26 or a 16" lever action carbine in .357 are things I dream about lately.

Let us know what you get smokehouse, looking forward to seeing it!

Last edited:

ObeyMyEgo

Kula's Candy
I still want a semi automatic in 7.5x55 swiss. Can't get a hold of any though. So i may have to just buy a 7.62x54r or .308 semi auto rifle.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
If you get a hand cannon in .44 magnum then you'll have to get a carbine in .44 magnum and run some real hot 44 loads through it :D

I'd get a .44 magnum versus all the others you listed, though that .45-70 looks amazing. That's a cartridge I wish I could afford a rifle in and the ammo to feed it.

I bet you'll have the most fun with the .44 magnum.

I don't have any firearm purchases in mind in the near future, I'm waiting out the panic. I think I'll finish my AR (need a light and a few other things) and work on getting the gear I want (holsters, etc)

Still...a Glock 26 or a 16" lever action carbine in .357 are things I dream about lately.

Let us know what you get smokehouse, looking forward to seeing it!

Yeah, .44 will more than likely be my choice. The cost and availability of ammo is the best of the bunch. It will be some time though, I need to save for one. He'll, if I could just sell off my Neo games I have sitting around, I could buy one next week! I too have some gear left to get...if Illinois does indeed pass concealed carry, I'll need some good holsters for my S&W Bodyguard revolver and Springfield XD SC...that alone will run me some $150+ for two crossbreed super tucks.

The nice thing is, now that I've lost weight, I can actually tuck a firearm in my pants. At my heaviest, that would have been impossible with the gut I had.

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
I look at tit this way, when it comes to firearms there's only 3 camps:

-Anti
-Pro
-not sure.

Actually, I see it this way: there are two groups: people with experience and training in handling and the use of firearms ...and everyone else. Unfortunately, the "everyone else"-camp is being mis-informed by our "If it bleeds; it leads" mass-media*.

"If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed."
-Mark Twain (or possibly Thomas Jefferson)

The best way to affect the hearts and minds of the "everyone else"-group, is to take as many people as possible out shooting, in a safe and sane manner, to see for themselves firsthand. Arguing about it endlessly on the internet is actually counter-productive.

*calling it the "Liberal Media" is sour grapes by right-wingers grousing that TV and cable news doesn't behave like the shit-throwing monkey-house that is right-wing AM talk-radio. Fuck that.

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
If I had only $17K to drop on a rifle I'd get a machine gun - a registered AR lower or an AR DIAS.

That said, that rifle package is sweet. I would be embarrassed to use such an amazing piece of engineering.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/01/10/proposed-nfa-form-changes/

Meanwhile since no one in the media or the administration actually knows anything about firearms I truly hope that these changes occur soon. Removal of the CLEO sign-off is huge.

It's the biggest barrier stopping me from getting the only NFA items I can get in CA. I don't want to pay to set up a trust just to get an AOW. But if I could drop $200 to turn a pistol grip shotgun in to a 14" AOW I'd be all over that. I'd put a real nice bird's head grip on it. It'd be a fun toy.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I ordered and got a Smith Vortex flash hider to replace the compensator on my AR...while the compensator is great, it is loud as hell and smacks anyone within 10' of me on either side in the face with hot gas...not good for side by side drills. Decided to go with the Smith instead.

Also got 4 GI 30 rd magazines. Two regular, run of the mill ones I picked up for $13/pc, two impulse buy "zombie green" painted with yellow Magpul followers and biohazard emblems...lol. They're silly looking things but I bought them for a sight gag at the range...if I ever get to the range again.

All of this "gun ban" waiting is driving me nuts. As of yesterday I decided to stay away from many sights and to stop reading speculation crap...it was just pissing me off too much. I just wish they get the fuck on with it and do something...I hate waiting for shit like this. It's like when I was a kid and my mom would tell me my father was going to give me a spanking when he got home from work...the waiting was worse than the spanking...uggg...