Final Fantasy XV: Anyone Playing? My thoughts after 3 hours.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
My Deluxe Edition for $70 from Amazon came in last night and I will play it when I get back home this evening. I also got my Battlefield WW1 in today for $32 from the online Best Buy sale, which was sooner than I thought. Much to play. I guess I will watch the CG movie first while I download the patches for both games, lol.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
They've made no sequels that captured tbe magic of FFT. Just some GBA crap, fine games in their own right but they dont begin to touch the original.

Tactics is awesome. Strategy games are my favorite genre by far. They get the story right.

So... I was avoiding coming back till I spent more time with this game. Got about 17 hours in now. So I figured I would revise a bit.

Also, watched that Conan video. I was in tears laughing.

Here is how I'm feeling about this game right now.

Combat - It's really good, and a lot of fun. The mobs are getting much better.

Leveling System - It's good as well. If you could stand the FFX system, it's very similar. You can focus on teamwork, magic, stats, etc... your typical stuff for the most part.

Magic System - It still feels weak, but to be honest I have not spent a lot of time with it just yet. I'm still not seeing the ability to make stuff like Ultima obviously, So I am unsure just how deep it gets. Right now the magic system feels very similar to Skyrim's Potion system, in regard to mixing things, and getting an effect. Sometimes it straight DPS magic, and depending on the item, like a potion for example, you can get DPS and cure at the same time.

Quest System - Very similar to the FFXIV Leve system. If you liked that, then you will be OK with it.

Music - The original score from this game is solid. Plus in you can buy various soundtracks for past FF games, and listen to them in the car. I hear you can get a portable player also, to listen while exploring. So that would be cool.

Car (travel) - It's actually not bad. You can fast travel anywhere you have been, again Skyrim style. So that's nice. This brings me to one of the most annoying parts though.

Photo System - All the characters have a special ability, photography, scavenging, cooking. You level up in this. The photo system is fucking annoying. Everytime you hop in the car, like 1 out of 3 times, you are annoyingly asked to stop and take a photo. I havbe no idea why this levels up. Then to make it more annoying, everytime you rest you are prompted to look at all 10 of them, and select ones you like. I just want to rest and head out. I hate the photo system!

Graphics - This is probably the best looking game I have ever seen, but that doesn't make a good game. Still dealing with the stupid character models, but it is mainly the main characters the effed up. At least you can get new outfits later. Hopefully they look good.

Story - Still my main gripe. This makes or breaks an RPG and it's just not there yet. Granted I'm still early on, and spending time grinding levels. Maybe I'm just not there yet.

Overall - I personally think the game is great thus far, BUT, not the story and the stupid photography. I can handle the photography thing, but the story is a deal breaker if it doesn't get good. Right now I don't give 2 fucks about a single main character. They could die, and I might be happy. I can't even remember all their names.... The other FF games had epic characters, with personality, and character development. Barrett was awesome, Cecil was awesome, and had a real transformation that completely changed him, Edgar had personality (although not one of my favorites), he was still cool. I am not feeling these guys at all.

I think if the story does get good, and the characters start to develop, it could be a great game, a really great game. If you don;t care about that I think you would enjoy this game a lot if you are just looking for solid combat.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I'm not far enough into XV to say it's good, but so far it seems closer to XII than XIII which is a very good thing. Even though X-2 and XIII were obvious trash, I don't hate on Final Fantasy X and beyond. The developers keep trying to find a new direction to take the series in and that's a good thing. If you are oldschool, then you can always go back and play the old ones. I have more respect for developers that attempt new games that sometimes suck than developers that whore out the same game over and over again.

Also on the topic of the post-IX modern era: XIII-2 is the forgotten Final Fantasy. It was great and could have been a classic if not for the XIII-related nostalgia cutscenes that nobody wanted. My dream Final Fantasy is a remake of XIII-2 with less monster-level grinding, all of the XIII references and cameos removed, a better ending to the Alyssa arc, and the real Noel/Caius ending from XIII-3 tacked on.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I think the only FFs I've played are IV and VI and that DS one.

I remember seeing a FFX cutscene/opening(?) and that blowing my mind when I was in 8th grade but never played it.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Finally got around to starting FFXV last night and played for six hours (up through chapter 3's Chocobo Forest big monster hunt) and I love it so far. The only problem I seem to be having is the camera gives me extreme motion sickness. Once I stopped playing, I went to bed...then woke up puking and generally just spent the next 12+ hours feeling awful. Going to try taking Dramamine before I pick back up with it tonight (after I watch Kingsglaive).

Glitches:
- During chapter 1, one of my characters went transparent and stayed that way through several battles and the first camping scene. I had to exist and reload my save to get it to correct itself.
- I occasionally notice some iffy textures (the dam area at the end of Chapter 1) or hair jaggies. Weird to see this on the Playstation 4 Pro. Not game breaking, just...weird.

Last edited:

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
So, I figured out how to take pantyshots of Iris during that quest where you first meet her. Square Enix went through a lot of trouble to make this as hard to do as possible. I posted about this on NeoGAF earlier today and triggered a number of people:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1317495&page=136

I also gained 15 minutes of internet fame from it:

https://twitter.com/APZonerunner/status/806279806631280640

Finally, for those of you who want to see what all the fuss is about, I uploaded a video of my findings:

https://a.pomf.cat/rlfboj.mp4

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
You are doing god's work.

Neogaf is full of humorless fags.

Last edited:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
So did they actually take a picture or you just saw them in that video? If they actually snapped a pic that would be some perverted shit.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Chapter 6 is a total Iris fan service fest of a chapter. No matter how much you want to just get on with the story...holy crap, make sure you take the effort to call Iris a chocobo like the game drops the hint to do, take her into battle with the guys, and go camping. Square went above and beyond.

(Currently 36 hours into the game and only on chapter 6. I spent over 20 hours just in Chapter 3 doing side quests. They were level 49 by the time I finally got on with the story. I can warp strike kill just about anything low level in one hit now, which makings getting AP quite quick now. Absolutely loving this game.)

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I think im chapter 6 too. Just got the car back. About 20 hours in. I just left that chic at the gas station. Didnt see any way to bring her.

Im about 20 hours in now. Just started grinding quests, hunts, and doingba lil fishing since I get AP for it.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I think im chapter 6 too. Just got the car back. About 20 hours in. I just left that chic at the gas station. Didnt see any way to bring her.

Im about 20 hours in now. Just started grinding quests, hunts, and doingba lil fishing since I get AP for it.

It's a little later in chapter 6, after the base with the short stealth sequence. (Make sure you buy chocobo tickets before you get in the car to head to the cape.)

Last edited:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
It's a little later in chapter 6, after the base with the short stealth sequence. (Make sure you buy chocobo tickets before you get in the car to head to the cape.)

I think thats exactly where im at. You mean just buy a few days worth?

Im level 33 now. Am I good?

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Just got done wrapping up World of Final Fantasy, which was amazing. I highly recommend any FF fan to nab that, especially if you like the old classic style of play. Lots of great fan service, and surprisingly really well done humor.

Now that that's done, its FF15 time. Did the tutorial real quick last night, and about to dedicate the whole day to it.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Just got done wrapping up World of Final Fantasy, which was amazing. I highly recommend any FF fan to nab that, especially if you like the old classic style of play. Lots of great fan service, and surprisingly really well done humor.

Now that that's done, its FF15 time. Did the tutorial real quick last night, and about to dedicate the whole day to it.

Did you play on vita or ps4? Trying to decide.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm not even sure what World of FF is, I'll check it out when I get time.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Whoops, double post. Sorry.

Last edited:

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I think thats exactly where im at. You mean just buy a few days worth?

Im level 33 now. Am I good?

Two chocobo ride days is probably more than enough (unless you plan to tackle a dungeon along the way).

Be sure to download and play the Platinum Demo (either before you play FFXV or at least during chapter 3). It has an exclusive story not in the actual game, and you get to name Carbuncle once you finish the demo and that transfers into the main game.

Oh, and be sure to watch Kingsglaive after you finish chapter 1 (or before you start the game).

Last edited:

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
World of FF has a demo for those interested.