Final Fantasy XV: Anyone Playing? My thoughts after 3 hours.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I wasn't going to do it just yet, but my brother talked me into it. Just started Lost Odyssey because I needed a Skyrim break, but fuck it. I'm dropping it all for a few weeks to give this a shot.

Put in about 3 hours today.

So far seems pretty solid. Surprisingly the voice acting, and character models didn't make vomit. The character models are actually somewhere between where I would like them to be. Which is not Emu Emo or whatever the hell it's called.

Music seems pretty decent thus far.

Combat is definitely not turn based, and there's a lot going on at first, but it sinks in fast.

Right now I'm stuck in the desert, and hoping the world is pretty diverse cause even though it looks pretty amazing, it's kind of bland. Hoping there are some cool more final fantasy style parts of the world. Cool forests, mountains, awesome dungeons.

Still haven't found a weapon, or any magic, but I'm thinking from the tutorial, it;s going to get pretty crazy.

Right now my main gripe is that the enemies are kind of boring, just a bunch of mutant dogs and rhino type things. Some are pretty large though. Hoping there's at least one awesome dragon, or Dinosaur that casts meteor.

The leveling system is very familiar if you played X. It's basically the grid you plot points in, but you can get all kinds of different abilities that are not weapon/stat/magic related. Some like exp for driving, or riding a Chocobo for a long period.

The story I'm not sure on yet. It hasn't really hit any sort of climatic event. Right now my car broke down and I'm running errands in the desert (killing mobs), which I think is a warm up for what's to come. Curious to see whats going to happen tomorrow. It doesn't feel like MMO fetch quests though since the combat is pretty intense. You really have to pay attention and do a lot of micro-management with your other characters.

I'm actually liking the "the boys" party lineup. I'm sick of games trying to sell me on some chick in skimpy outfits. And annoying the hell out of me with her whiny voice and puns.

Anyway, so far I am not disappointed, but sometimes you don't know till you sink 15 hours in. If the game picks up tomorrow, which I think it will since I just fixed the car, then I think it's going to be solid if I can get out of this desert.

The second deal breaker will be whether or not the weapons and gear are pretty customizable. I think I'm still spoiled from FFVII with its awesome materia linking system. Hopefully it gets pretty deep, but keeps it simple.

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
You should play this instead and say no to HD load times internet updates 9 million hours playtime bullshit.

final_fantasy_1_nes_battle.png

Back when playing Final Fantasy required some fucking skill.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Forgot this was coming out I want to get it now. Thanks for the write up!

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i gave up on final fantasy after i played ff12. i even enjoyed the kingdom heart games more than the recant final fantasy games. but i'm going to give 14 a try and give it a chance. the visuals and combat look pretty good.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
i gave up on final fantasy after i played ff12. i even enjoyed the kingdom heart games more than the recant final fantasy games. but i'm going to give 14 a try and give it a chance. the visuals and combat look pretty good.

14 is good. I played it for several years. Just recently quit. The constant grind bored me.

johhnnyD14

Hardened Shock Trooper
i'm kinda interested based on the trailers i've seen. i'm glad that it isn't turn based, thats basically what made me not like ff games to begin with

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
You should play this instead and say no to HD load times internet updates 9 million hours playtime bullshit.

final_fantasy_1_nes_battle.png

Back when playing Final Fantasy required some fucking skill.

I played through the GBA version of FFI a few weeks ago, still fun to this day. The GBA version really fixes some of the flaws with the NES original.

XII was the start of my disliking the franchise, XIII put the final nail in the coffin, it wasn't fun at all.

Even if I had a PS4...I wouldn't even bother trying...sad, but its the truth.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
could be a pretty ghost or a pretty ufo

be careful

throw a rock in case of danger

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
XII was the start of my disliking the franchise, XIII put the final nail in the coffin, it wasn't fun at all.

Even if I had a PS4...I wouldn't even bother trying...sad, but its the truth.

pretty much the same here. loved everything up to and including ff10. but i just hated the levelling up system of ff12. i find my characters are not strong enough to proceed on to the next part of the game. your weapons and armour are what determine your strength and defence. you need money to obtain weapons and armour. you need to do missions to obtain money. but you can't do those missions because your weapons and armour are not strong enough to meet the requirements to defeat the enemies of that mission. and it goes round in an nonsensical circle of mess.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I'm not buying it because I just don't have time for JRPGs anymore.

I have heard a lot of praise for this game, however. If I have capital post Christmas or I get it as a gift, I might snag it if the reviews and gamer opinions hold up, just focus on MSQ and forgo all the side activities.

I've done my best to be charitable to FF, but I've grown increasingly frustrated and disenchanted with the art direction of this series for a long time. But I don't know if XV's 'bishoonen' art direction is more because of what SE currently wants to do with their IPs or if it's a holdover from the Fabula Nova Crystalis days. This game was originally supposed to be Versus XIII, after all.

Honestly, if you're looking for a 'traditional' Final Fantasy experience in terms of the world building and aesthetic, play XIV: A Realm Reborn. It pretty much has everything you could want out of FF if you're looking for a new take on the series' mainstays: chocobos, crystals, job/class roles, summons, airships, enemy menagerie, storytelling, plot twists and intrigues.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
pretty much the same here. loved everything up to and including ff10. but i just hated the levelling up system of ff12. i find my characters are not strong enough to proceed on to the next part of the game. your weapons and armour are what determine your strength and defence. you need money to obtain weapons and armour. you need to do missions to obtain money. but you can't do those missions because your weapons and armour are not strong enough to meet the requirements to defeat the enemies of that mission. and it goes round in an nonsensical circle of mess.

I loved 10 as well, I'm more than happy to admit that. US 1, 2, 3 and 7 are also favorites of mine. I found 5 to be so-so. I tried 8, despised it. So much in fact that I completely skipped over 9, which I heard was massive mistake. Tried to play 9 a few years ago, looks so shitty, I quit.

10 was great...I mean really great. Cheesy voice acting aside, it had a great plot, "old school" battle system and the grid sphere was easily one of the most enjoyable systems I've ever used. 12 I found to be a flaming bag of shit, the combat system is a complete cluster to use. I gave up early on it.

13 was just plain old confusing. Its a dry RPG on rails with a convoluted leveling system (if I remember correctly). Reminds me of the cluster-fuck that was Japanese NES FFII, which was so bad I quit that game as well.

If I had a PS4, I would contemplate renting 15, just as I did with 13. But I don't...so it really doesn't matter.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Have they not learned how to make a modern RPG yet?

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
I'm not buying it because I just don't have time for JRPGs anymore.

I have heard a lot of praise for this game, however. If I have capital post Christmas or I get it as a gift, I might snag it if the reviews and gamer opinions hold up, just focus on MSQ and forgo all the side activities.

I've done my best to be charitable to FF, but I've grown increasingly frustrated and disenchanted with the art direction of this series for a long time. But I don't know if XV's 'bishoonen' art direction is more because of what SE currently wants to do with their IPs or if it's a holdover from the Fabula Nova Crystalis days. This game was originally supposed to be Versus XIII, after all.

Honestly, if you're looking for a 'traditional' Final Fantasy experience in terms of the world building and aesthetic, play XIV: A Realm Reborn. It pretty much has everything you could want out of FF if you're looking for a new take on the series' mainstays: chocobos, crystals, job/class roles, summons, airships, enemy menagerie, storytelling, plot twists and intrigues.

Agreed whole heartedly. 14 is great and has everything you could want.

But I think they tried to do something different with 15 that makes me want to try it out. 13 sucked so bad though, could not follow that shitty story at all. And did not care to stop anf read pages of side notes to learn the story.

I think 10 killed it for me though. Loved 1, 5, 7, 8, 9. Six was ok to me better then most jrpgs. But in the end 10 was so bad I quit playing rpgs through the ps2 era.

I despised 10.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
IV, V, VI, and VII are fantastic
I, II, VII, and IX are good
III, X, XII, and XIII are horrible
never played the MMOs

I'm betting XV sucks ass but not willing to pay $60 to find out

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Agreed whole heartedly. 14 is great and has everything you could want.

I think 10 killed it for me though. Loved 1, 5, 7, 8, 9. Six was ok to me better then most jrpgs. But in the end 10 was so bad I quit playing rpgs through the ps2 era.

I despised 10.

IV, V, VI, and VII are fantastic
I, II, VII, and IX are good
III, X, XII, and XIII are horrible
never played the MMOs

I'm betting XV sucks ass but not willing to pay $60 to find out

10 is interesting, the opinions of it are so highly polarized.

People love to rag on 7 because some claim it is the second coming, but they'll still admit it is a solid FF title. The hate for 10, however, is legit, and runs deep.

I'll say it again...I really like it and I'm a picky bitch.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
It sounds short, at least by series standards. 20 hours to beat the main storyline isn't much for a JRPG.

I'm picking up my preorder today, but my expectations aren't real high.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
My copy is getting delivered today. I basically paid $20 for my copy ($35 up front, $15 back). There have been very few decent FF games post-VI, so my expectations are quite low for XV. At least I didn't pay much for it if it ends up mediocre, and I should be able to get all my money back by selling/trading it early if I end up really disliking it.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
10 is interesting, the opinions of it are so highly polarized.

People love to rag on 7 because some claim it is the second coming, but they'll still admit it is a solid FF title. The hate for 10, however, is legit, and runs deep.

I'll say it again...I really like it and I'm a picky bitch.

I was coming off the high that was 7,8,9. So my expectations where very high. By the end of ten I was very disappointed and I set myself up.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I was coming off the high that was 7,8,9. So my expectations where very high. By the end of ten I was very disappointed and I set myself up.

It was a huge gap for me. I picked up FF 7 summer of 1997. I mentioned that I played 8 somewhere in the mix. Possibly 1998, 99, not sure. It was a short trial...like played it one night and decided against it. I skipped 9 altogether. I didn't bite into 10 until sometime in 2002...so you're talking a 2-3 year FF gap for me. I was able to look past the corny voice acting and stupid blitzball bullshit, I found the rest of the game that enjoyable. I didn't even mind the trails sections...

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member

I despised 10.

10 was so fucking bad it made me quit playing RPGs all together. I got to the final battle, put the controller down and questioned just what in the hell I was doing.