Double Dragon 4

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Pushing the button repeatedly is much easier in the arcade then NES. On the NES there is a pause of 1/4 second before you can throw the next punch. The arcade doesn't have that.

zinho

Kula's Candy
15 Year Member
I really enjoyed this game. It's not easy at all if you ignore the mission select option and try to finish it without continuing.
The graphics are not that great and the plot is laughable but the music and gameplay are pretty decent.
My only wish is that Final Fight get a new release with 16-bit graphics as well.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Going to check this out.

I would have been happier if they had kept the graphics in the same style as the arcade games for 1 and 2. That to me is always going to be the real deal Double Dragon.

zinho

Kula's Candy
15 Year Member
I agree, but the graphics are still pretty damn close to the ones on the arcade games.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Nah, they're not all that close to the arcade at all. They're clearly based off of the NES version of DD2.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
My only wish is that Final Fight get a new release with 16-bit graphics as well.

Yes my friend, I want that too. Like Mighty Final Fight, graphics close to arcade game but that extra mmm whoooo.

zinho

Kula's Candy
15 Year Member
You know what? I take that back. It's been so long since I played the arcade game that I totally forgot what it looks like when you compare it to the NES port.
But I still dig the NES style graphics of DD4.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
No Alyssa Milano, no purchase.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I played it for about 30 minutes, and I'm quite happy with the controls. The knee is clearly much easier to pull off, but the rest feels about right.
I'm pretty excited as this is the DD sequel people always wanted.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Tried the game for a bit, initial impressions are not positive:

- Low frame rate. I'm not sure if DD2 was that way, but I was expecting smooth 60fps
- horrible V-sync. Deliberate or not, the screen tearing is annoying (playing on PS4 btw)
- Hit detection and controls feel off, as zaneiken mentioned
- Reached stage 3, the general desert backdrop didn't change
- Way too easy

I will reserve judgement until I finish it, but for now I will just wait and see if there is a hidden option (or future update) for the frame rate and v-sync issues.

Had another go with it and ran out of continues on stage 8. Starting to appreciate it. It becomes harder in later stages, and there is good variety in the stage design (the desert part ended mid stage 3 lol).

I got used to the frame rate, but not the screen tearing. I will wait for an update before having a serious attempt at it.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I'll try to take more notice on the PC version. It's possible the game was not optimized when ported to PS4 or vice versa.

Any chance the framerate and tearing is intentional? The NES version had quite a bit of flicker and slowdown.