Double Dragon 4

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
All DD's are shit compared to DD2 NES. I don't know why it's taken this long to make this. I'm disappointed every time i see a DD that isn't DD2.

It'll be interesting if they get the controls right. Those were some very tight controls on the NES.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
If you mean 8bit home console versions I'd agree with that. Seems Nintendo thought so too since DD2 is the game on their NES Classic Edition. Personally I really like DD1 on the Gameboy as it's closer to the arcade than the NES by far. DD2 is a joke though, it's just a Kunio brawler reskinned to DD so it's good or bad if you like Kunio.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
All DD's are shit compared to DD2 NES. I don't know why it's taken this long to make this. I'm disappointed every time i see a DD that isn't DD2.

It'll be interesting if they get the controls right. Those were some very tight controls on the NES.

I agree. Double Dragon 2 NES was so much fun. I remember renting it from the store 10+ times, it was our default go to game if nothing good was in.

I liked Double Dragon on Sega Master System a lot too. It's all about the awesome 2 player action.

Going back and playing the original NES DD is alright, but 2 is so much better.

Hoping this is good. It's out... TOMORROW? Please post impressions here!

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
I see it has been almost 3 decades and the stench of The Rosetta Stones has not vanished for many. Personally I rather pass kidney stones than play the third debacle which killed the franchise again. It is noteworthy that this games pioneered in game purchases using real currency.

Last edited:

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
They fucked up by using the NES engine for DD4.

Why they couldn't just use the original arcade engine is mindboggling....either that or Super Double Dragon's engine would have been a better choice.

Looking at DD4 just makes me think of DD3 which I sadly own. I think the furthest I ever got in that game was the Egypt level. It's a broken pile of shit.

Skat72

Kabuki Klasher
c70984318ab22b41e92140dbf124ae01.jpg

I got excited when I saw this thinking the art style would be more in line with the arcade or even the remake on the GBA. The trailer made sure to get rid of that excitement real quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
c70984318ab22b41e92140dbf124ae01.jpg

I got excited when I saw this thinking the art style would be more in line with the arcade or even the remake on the GBA. The trailer made sure to get rid of that excitement real quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

only mookiestains can use that avatar faggot

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
Anyone play this yet? It's only $6.99 but the review the first review I found says it's bad.

Would like to get some Double Dragon's fan's impressions before pulling the trigger. My daughter loves beat 'em ups, so might just get it to play together.

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
I've been playing for about 30 minutes.

-Control scheme is that of DD1 arcade, with a mixed moveset from DD1 arcade and DD2 NES. No option to play Renegade-style.
-Jumps are kinda floaty like SDD/RoDD, and collision detection feels a little off.
-You can juggle enemies.
-Music is bleh in both normal and retro mode.
-Sprites are a mix of DD1 NES, DD2 NES, and new ones which is a little jarring.

Just OK so far, not great.
I'm not the biggest fan of DD Neon, but at least that had a nice art style and soundtrack. Nothing about this game stands out - it just feels like playing a ROM-hack.

Last edited:

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member

-Control scheme is that of DD1 arcade, with a mixed moveset from DD1 arcade and DD2 NES. No option to play Renegade-style.
-Jumps are kinda floaty like SDD/RoDD, and collsion detection feels a little off.
-You can juggle enemies.

I'm not the biggest fan of DD Neon, but at least that had a nice art style and soundtrack. Nothing about this game stands out - it just feels like playing a ROM-hack.

Cool. Thanks for the update! Sounds like a rainy day game. Perfect price point.

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
Youll have fun with it. DD2, SDD and Neon are my favorites still. I'm happy to see that it is not that piece of garbage game that was ported to the 360. 7 out of 10.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Regardless of how this turns out, I don't think the NES graphics are necessarily a step backward. Mega Man 9 is one of the best in the series, and definitely an improvement over MM8.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Tried the game for a bit, initial impressions are not positive:

- Low frame rate. I'm not sure if DD2 was that way, but I was expecting smooth 60fps
- horrible V-sync. Deliberate or not, the screen tearing is annoying (playing on PS4 btw)
- Hit detection and controls feel off, as zaneiken mentioned
- Reached stage 3, the general desert backdrop didn't change
- Way too easy

I will reserve judgement until I finish it, but for now I will just wait and see if there is a hidden option (or future update) for the frame rate and v-sync issues.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Regardless of how this turns out, I don't think the NES graphics are necessarily a step backward. Mega Man 9 is one of the best in the series, and definitely an improvement over MM8.

We're getting off topic here but, I respectfully disagree. Along with getting rid of the slide and charge buster, MM9 is literally a step backwards for that very sake. Mega Man 8 is amazing to this day, especially the Saturn version.

Jon

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Double Dragon on the NES was cool when I was like 10 years old.

Double Dragon 2 was good, and maybe still is ok.

Everything else was forgettable except for maybe the Gameboy Advance game which I have not played.

Most overrated series ever.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
The arcades Renegade and Double Dragon (both by Technos) defined the beat em up genre as we know it today. DD1 may not hold up now, but the GBA remake does (aside from the lack of a convenient way to play co-op)

DD2 is a classic. RoDD / SDD and Neon are worthy additions to the genre.

If you are not into the genre altogether, that's understandable though.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member

It's more for the "purist" tho - no slide and no charge shot.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
The arcades Renegade and Double Dragon (both by Technos) defined the beat em up genre as we know it today. DD1 may not hold up now, but the GBA remake does (aside from the lack of a convenient way to play co-op)

DD2 is a classic. RoDD / SDD and Neon are worthy additions to the genre.

If you are not into the genre altogether, that's understandable though.

Agreed. To call the series overrated is frankly stupid.
I think it was quickly surpasses by other side scrollers, but the dent it left is undeniable. It basically set the mold

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran

-Jumps are kinda floaty like SDD/RoDD, and collision detection feels a little off.
-You can juggle enemies.

Nice nostalgia, some new moves and enemies, and its kinda fun. the first noticeable problem with it is that it seems some of the sound effects are just straight missing. The chiming you got in DD2 when the hand shows up to tell you to move on just is not there. None of the doors or elevators have sound anymore either. The new enemies are not that impressive but the older enemies are kinda cool with the palate swaps. Plus you do get a duel mode like DD1. My biggest complaint though is it is incredibly easy. Pretty much zero challenge. Even when they throw 6 bosses at you at once. For 6.99 I don't mind it . It had potential to be way better but it's not terrible.

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
This game ain't half bad. ESPECIALLY FOR $7!!! Honestly, it's pretty awesome and and isn't quite as good as 2, SDD and DD:Neon. Double Dragon Neon is still the tits though. I listen to "glad I am" whenever I work out. One of the better soundtracks in my opinion.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
The people that are saying DDII NES is the best have you played it of recent? I will admit it's a very good nes port, but the combo system is very stiff and clunky. It reminds me a lot of the difference between TMNT '89 and TMNT2 The Arcade Game (NES). I can't see someone prefering this over the arcade version personally.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You don't do combos in DD2 NES, you knee every motherfucker you see into the moon.