20 Year Member

- Graphics based on NES DD2
- PS4 and Steam
- January 30

It's sad to see Super DD totally ignored :(

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I don't know how I feel about this game.
But here's an interesting bit of info I found at gematsu
The game features the original staff of the arcade version of Double Dragon, including producer Takaomi Kaneko, director Yoshihisa Kishimoto, character designer Koji Ogata, composer Kazunaka Yamane, and programmer Kei Oyama.
Read more at

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Even though the nes Double Drogon games were a lot of fun (especially DD2), I was expecting a game more along the lines of Super Double Dragon or Double Dragon Advance with Arc System Works' trademark Guilty Gear flair and artstyle. Perhaps Guilty Gear Judgment proved years ago that a traditional beat em up approach was not the way to go?...

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Seems to me that they just felt they needn't reinvent the wheel, that NES DD was perfect for what it was - not a portrayal of something to be improved upon. 8 bit style (and not retro style graphics) are an aesthetic choice today, same with gameplay. This is an a temporal time - in culture in general. As I say I wouldn't even say this is retro.
All that said and done I am at odds with this approach.
I have yet to find a worthwhile street based beat em up in the last 20 years. Would have really liked to have seen the employment of cel shaded graphics in the genre. Cel shaded just doesn't get old.

I honestly hope to see games like this using digitised graphics once more. Just for kicks

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Seems to me that they just felt they needn't reinvent the wheel, that NES DD was perfect for what it was - not a portrayal of something to be improved upon. 8 bit style (and not retro style graphics) are an aesthetic choice today, same with gameplay. This is an a temporal time - in culture in general. As I say I wouldn't even say this is retro.
All that said and done I am at odds with this approach.
I have yet to find a worthwhile street based beat em up in the last 20 years. Would have really liked to have seen the employment of cel shaded graphics in the genre. Cel shaded just doesn't get old.

I honestly hope to see games like this using digitised graphics once more. Just for kicks

I agree with your point about the design approach. This wasn't exactly the ASW Double Dragon game I was hoping for, but I can't say I'm surprised that they are taking the nes nostalgia route. Gameplay is king though, so I'm sure ASW will deliver a fun title when all is said and done.

There's been a couple great street beat em ups over the years. Aside from Double Dragon Advance and the psp Ikki Tousen games, Urban Reign was a fun street brawler that I find myself returning to every now and then.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I agree with your point about the design approach. This wasn't exactly the ASW Double Dragon game I was hoping for, but I can't say I'm surprised that they are taking the nes nostalgia route. Gameplay is king though, so I'm sure ASW will deliver a fun title when all is said and done.

There's been a couple great street beat em ups over the years. Aside from Double Dragon Advance and the psp Ikki Tousen games, Urban Reign was a fun street brawler that I find myself returning to every now and then.

Just saw vids related to Urban Reign and it looks like a fun Tekken offshoot, I'll have to check it out

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
20 year covers a lot of "street based beat em ups."

Aside from the ones mentioned, how do you feel about Spikeout, Demolish Fist, and to cheat slightly, Streets of Rage Remake?

I just got the new River City 3DS game, and I can't wait to try that out.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
what bout DDNeon

DDNeon was a fun little game, but I wasn't a fan of the 80's saturday morning cartoon style and combat system.

A Double Dragon game that played like a cross between Super DD and DD Advance with the visual style of ASW's Hokuto no Ken game was what I was waiting to see:

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
20 year covers a lot of "street based beat em ups."

Aside from the ones mentioned, how do you feel about Spikeout, Demolish Fist, and to cheat slightly, Streets of Rage Remake?

I just got the new River City 3DS game, and I can't wait to try that out.

I'll be honest. I'm not impressed by any of it. Spikeout I may have once had a soft spot for but the Zombie's Revenge style it shares just isn't my cup of tea. I reckon God Fist is the most fun beat em up but it's not 'street based' per se, and it goes off at a tandem gameplay wise too.
I don't know why all these company's that made fighting games designed the games the way they did. Horrible ideas and boring play mechanics. I'm sorry to repeat myself over and over, I will shut up about it. But how hard can it really be to get the variables right and make an original modern beat em up?

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
About DD though Im not sure which one I like best but Super Double Dragon I thought was amazing at the time, and I still do. It's a very fine game.
Like some of you have said, the upcoming IV will probably be a great deal of fun.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Meh.. it looks like a cheesy ROM hack. Bargain bin purchase for sure.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Looks interesting. I thought Super Double Dragon was called Double Dragon 4 in JP.

JoeAwesome

I'll be honest. I'm not impressed by any of it. Spikeout I may have once had a soft spot for but the Zombie's Revenge style it shares just isn't my cup of tea. I reckon God Fist is the most fun beat em up but it's not 'street based' per se, and it goes off at a tandem gameplay wise too.
I don't know why all these company's that made fighting games designed the games the way they did. Horrible ideas and boring play mechanics. I'm sorry to repeat myself over and over, I will shut up about it. But how hard can it really be to get the variables right and make an original modern beat em up?

It's your opinion, so if you didn't like any of the ones mentioned, that's fine. I enjoyed the Sega arcade beat em ups of Dynamite Deka 1/2, Zombies Revenge, and Spikeout. The over the top cheesiness of the first two series was/is funny to me.

I just wonder what exactly you think would make a beat em up something original.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
the combo into tiger knee gave me goosebumps. wish they went with newer graphics though instead resuing the same old NES sprites

ah well still in!

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Looks interesting. I thought Super Double Dragon was called Double Dragon 4 in JP.

It was called Return of Double Dragon.

It's your opinion, so if you didn't like any of the ones mentioned, that's fine. I enjoyed the Sega arcade beat em ups of Dynamite Deka 1/2, Zombies Revenge, and Spikeout. The over the top cheesiness of the first two series was/is funny to me.

I just wonder what exactly you think would make a beat em up something original.

If it's cheesiness winning you over, perhaps you're easy to please.

Last edited:

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
not the biggest double dragon fan, but i appreciate anything when the original creators are involved. just have to wait and see.

NeoGeoFanatic

Neo Geo Cup '98
This looks interesting. DD2 was one of my favorite games so I don't mind the graphics at all. Will be getting this one for sure!

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member

When I said an original beat em up I wasn't talking about originality I was talking about something that wasn't a sequel or reboot or remake.

I think a limited and sober moves list with decent hit detection (generous without being sloppy), a good idea about what makes for a good side scroller without trying to please everyone. Characters that are appealing moreso amongst the villains, not just walking planks of wood.
Backgrounds well enough integrated that makes you feel like you are there and what you do impacts on the surroundings and visa versa. Character. In a fighting game having an angle about what you want to put across goes a long way. A game that feels was made by a team of people interested in animation, not because it has to be silky smooth but because it is just as important as graphics. It seems that it's hard to get right because of how many dull examples exist in all these aspects.
I don't know, there are enough old games for me not to care too much that they can't make newer ones that are half decent.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I've always been interested in the iPhone / Android games, but I'm not planning to play any game on a phone:

(gameplay starts @1:48):

I think if Super DD had a proper gameplay speed, it would have been one of the best beat 'em ups.

From recent years, Dragon's Crown is a worthy addition to the genre, but for some reason, I didn't find as fun as I expected. Castle Crashers was also very enjoyable.

JoeAwesome

If it's cheesiness winning you over, perhaps you're easy to please.

I never said I wasn't. Beating up enemies with a giant tuna fish? It was absurdly funny. I also liked the various other weapons to use; the little bits of exploration into "secret" areas; the different button combos; and in Deka 2, the searching for photo secrets using the memory card. None of these games are long, and in the case of ZR, not enough replayability, but they never overstayed their welcome, either (being arcade games, of course).

When I said an original beat em up I wasn't talking about originality I was talking about something that wasn't a sequel or reboot or remake.

I think a limited and sober moves list with decent hit detection (generous without being sloppy), a good idea about what makes for a good side scroller without trying to please everyone. Characters that are appealing moreso amongst the villains, not just walking planks of wood.
Backgrounds well enough integrated that makes you feel like you are there and what you do impacts on the surroundings and visa versa. Character. In a fighting game having an angle about what you want to put across goes a long way. A game that feels was made by a team of people interested in animation, not because it has to be silky smooth but because it is just as important as graphics. It seems that it's hard to get right because of how many dull examples exist in all these aspects.
I don't know, there are enough old games for me not to care too much that they can't make newer ones that are half decent.

I think I can understand what you mean by your description. Do you think Dragon's Crown meets that description?