Microsoft expected to go multi platform

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
What about the ridiculous labia wifi router tampon dispenser that is the PS5? The design is clearly disliked; mistakes were made. Meanwhile Series X is a sensible rectangle box that comes very presentable in its packaging. I could barely figure out how to pack the PS5 back into the box. Couple this with the controller and general ease of use, it's easy to see why there are a lot of fans of the Xbox brand who would hate to see the consoles go away.

1707939545822.jpeg

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
360 was great IMO. Very good hardware outside of the RROD, a huge step up from OG Xbox in terms of 3rd party support, seamless networking and a beefy wifi chip in the slim, USB media, decent freebies with a Gold subscription, VGA support, game installs to HDD for way faster loading, etc.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
360 was great IMO. Very good hardware outside of the RROD, a huge step up from OG Xbox in terms of 3rd party support, seamless networking and a beefy wifi chip in the slim, USB media, decent freebies with a Gold subscription, VGA support, game installs to HDD for way faster loading, etc.
360 is up there with the PS2 for me for the system I played the most amount of games on. The RRoD is a huge stain (as it should be) on an otherwise fantastic system with a stellar library of games.

As for this MS news? meh

I think Gamepass is the best thing to happen in gaming in a long while, but I have no affinity for any of these companies as they're just machines I play games on. I guess Nintendo is the only console-maker I actually reserve some kind of dislike towards, but the Switch rules and they still pump out great titles, so them being kind of dicks to their fanbase doesn't deter me much.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Both had hardware issues and both of mine died the RROD and YLOD in a 2 week span. The Slim consoles are safe.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I recall the US Dept of Defense connected over 1000 of them to make a super computer back in the day.

Die Antword did that in Chappy with PS4s lol

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I don't understand why they can't just make the new consoles look like normal hifi/av equipment instead of these avant garde designs.
Yeah, we need to be able to sneak them into our setups without the wife noticing. "What, that? That's always been there."

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Now Sony is saying the PS5 had disappointing sales and it's entering the latter part of its lifecycle. PS4 was a skip for me. PS6 probably will be too.

Xbox going multiplatform and PS5 entering "end of life" are the end of consoles. There will be architectures and form factors after this but that particular war is over.

fake

15 Year Member
Xbox going multiplatform and PS5 entering "end of life" are the end of consoles. There will be architectures and form factors after this but that particular war is over.
I'm no longer shocked at how long these shifts can take TBH. When I was doing merch for Sony, they said the PS5 hardware would be baked into their TVs, but also available as consoles. That obviously didn't happen. I do think the future will be full of Google TV style dongles; I just don't know when that will be. I'm already turned off by the off the shelf components and RISC / SoC architecture, so I don't really even mind at this point. I still have my three decades' worth of a backlog to play through.

Reactions: SML

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Sometimes I wonder if my lack of disappointment with the PS5 was that I skipped the PS4 so I have a huge backlog of games to choose from and don't realize that when people say it has no games they are mostly talking about exclusives to the 5.
I'm looking forward to Stellar Blade.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Sometimes I wonder if my lack of disappointment with the PS5 was that I skipped the PS4 so I have a huge backlog of games to choose from and don't realize that when people say it has no games they are mostly talking about exclusives to the 5.
I'm looking forward to Stellar Blade.
Tons of great stuff on the PS4--think that's probably the system I've played the most these past couple of generations.

They must be relatively cheap at this point.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Tons of great stuff on the PS4--think that's probably the system I've played the most these past couple of generations.

They must be relatively cheap at this point.
I picked an og 500 gb one up not long ago for my son.
I think I gave $90 for it.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
I picked an og 500 gb one up not long ago for my son.
I think I gave $90 for it.
Lot of good games are cheap as hell too since all the goobs are still busy goobing over PS2 and below gen systems.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
The goobing will come to PS4 as soon as the people who had those systems as children have money to waste on useless shit.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
The goobing will come to PS4 as soon as the people who had those systems as children have money to waste on useless shit.
Yup, it's coming.

My youngest nephew's first real console was the PS3 and he's started getting nostalgic for it and the 360. Not enough to start collecting but enough to get a Last of Us and Playstation logo tattoos...

I think the Wii is the one that's really going to be hot for that age group though. It was a shit ton of peoples first console, it's Nintendo, it's gimmicky as fuck and it's terrible. It checks all the boxes for collectards. I know it's already kind of hot but I think it'll get stupid in the next couple years.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
That's not fair. It was "one blunder after the next" offset by a lot of good decisions too. The Xbox 360 launched with a very strong UI and online offerings, which Sony was playing catch up with that entire generation. Not to mention the hardware proved to be far more developer-friendly than the PS3, leading to better versions of cross-platform games.

The 360 succeeded in spite of the major blunders because of the things the console got right (and some things Sony got wrong didn't hurt either).

Phil Spencer also did the best anyone could've to right the ship of the Xbox One after the poor launch.

"Since the 360", meaning I agree teh 360 did almost everything right.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
The PS5 is entering "The Latter Stage of Its Life Cycle," per Sony.

"Latter" meaning the second half. That's not the same as "end of life."

"Since the 360", meaning I agree teh 360 did almost everything right.
Okay. Sorry, thought you meant including and since. I should've read more carefully.

Last edited:

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
The PS4 gen was probably the best so far. I don't get why people would skip it after PS3 and stop there. Well done you stopped at one of the worst gens (apart from when n64 and shaturn were trying their best - lol)

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I don't understand why they would buy up all these companies then distribute multi platform. You would think they would horde those IP's to sell consoles.

Guess they know they're going to fuck it up???

Anyway, I don't even know who is playing XBOX. Apparently everyone I talk to IRL has one but me, but the shelves at the game stores are pretty barren.

XBOX has always been complete shit. Original XBOX only hung on cause Halo 2 online, and 360 was great and and all, but you didn't buy one for the exclusives. You bought one cause it had the best ports, and had most the popular PC games.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I don't understand why they would buy up all these companies then distribute multi platform. You would think they would horde those IP's to sell consoles.

Think of the music industry as an analogy. You get paid the rights every time someone plays a game that is one of your IPs.

Gaming will become like Netflix and Apple TV, there will be a box and you pay your subscriptions for the content.

I don’t particularly like it but I know I can’t stop it so what’s the point stressing over it. As others said, I still have 3 decades worth of backlog to see me through till my grave.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Anyway, I don't even know who is playing XBOX. Apparently everyone I talk to IRL has one but me, but the shelves at the game stores are pretty barren.
Plenty of people play on Xbox. PS5 oustold Series S and X by 3 to 1, so 1/3 of a large number is still a lot.

The other recent Xbox story is that they're closing their internal physical games department. Maybe it's important for Nintendo, but I don't think retail shelves factor heavily into Microsoft's bottonline anymore. Who even browses the games at Target regularly these days? Personally I order online or pickup, but seems like most of their game sales are digital now, or just Game Pass.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
The people I know with Xbox are fanboys from the Halo1/2 and 360 era. But I really dont know what M$ accomplished in that timeframe.
The fixes they needed to make were not even that challenging. Their senior leadership is/was stubborn idiots.

The fact they can't name a console that is understandable without needing a spreadsheet matrix is fucking baffling.

The xbox experience on PC is about as useful as the M$ App Store. So if they are focusing on other platforms, they need to fix their own house first.

How lazy do you have to be to launch Halo Infinite with almost no QA/QC.

Meanwhile, people still love Titanfall 2, but the servers are constantly under attack.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Plenty of people play on Xbox. PS5 oustold Series S and X by 3 to 1, so 1/3 of a large number is still a lot.

The other recent Xbox story is that they're closing their internal physical games department. Maybe it's important for Nintendo, but I don't think retail shelves factor heavily into Microsoft's bottonline anymore. Who even browses the games at Target regularly these days? Personally I order online or pickup, but seems like most of their game sales are digital now, or just Game Pass.

Anecdotal, but I've been shocked at how few games are being stocked at the big box stores now for most systems. Not just Xbox, but with Playstation systems as well there are a smaller number of titles and only 1 or 2 of each title in stock. The only system that seems to be stocked is Switch, which tracks since the "OMG PHYSICAL IS DYING" usually comes from those people.