Template:CharacterInfoboxAsura (アスラ, Asura), or Asra, is the main protagonist in the game Samurai Shodown 64: Warriors Rage. He is voiced by Kazuya Ichijo. He's occasionally depicted having eight black wings in various appearances (though they are never shown in actual gameplay).
He is a being who has a long-standing conflict with Yuga the Destroyer, who wreaks havoc in order to bring about "the unification of this world and the Netherworld". Yuga imprisoned Asura in the Netherworld and he subsequently escapes when it is defeated during the events of Samurai Shodown 64. When he confronts Yuga, his clone, Shadow Asura, assists him in slaying the fiend. They fuse themselves together so that his clone could survive.
Later, in Samurai Shodown: Warriors Rage, Asura is revealed to be a shade of the real Asura. His clone was the one who retained the original's memories; this Asura only kept the original's abilities and his animosity for Yuga.
Asura feels nothing but hate for Yuga and wants nothing but the destruction of his nemesis.
- Weapon Transformation: Through the seal on his hand, Asura can use one of the following seven weapons at will.
- Summon Lucifier Sword: His default weapon that is summoned at start of battle, as well as when the effect of his other weapons fades. While equipped with this weapon Asura can translocate, and upon stopping release a slash of dark energy.
- Summon Asmodeus Bow: Asura can bring a bow into battle and fire up one to two arrows at once to his opponents. While his rage gauge is full he can fire up to three arrows. In Neo-Geo Battle Coliseum, all versions of these attacks are available by default.
- Summon Belphegor Lance: Asura can summon lance with the ability to appear and pierce anywhere along the ground. With a full rage gauge this effect is multiplied. The ability to directly stab with lance was initially only part of his super, but in Neo-Geo Battle Coliseum multiple lances are used in its place, and the direct stab becomes one of his normal attacks.
- Summon Leviathan Scythe: Asura can call upon a giant curved scythe to cleave his opponents, and leave dimensional tears in traces of its swings.
- Summon Beelzebub Axe: Asura can call upon a giant stylized axe which releases a tremendous impact and shockwave when smashed down. It nearly kills opponent if hits, and was also shown to cause landslides.
- Summon Mammon Shield: Asura can defend himself with a shield. If his opponents attacks it, the shield's surface will pierce them with long spikes.
- Summon Satanas Staff: Asura summons giant staff with eye on it, which triggers the appearance of two portals to chain and trap his opponent. He will then attack his opponent with his other weapons, the order differs from game to game.
- Energy Slash: Asura can fuel his weapons with dark ki energy.
Asura is a flexible warrior who can be a strong fighter at any distance. His weakness lies in the speed of his attacks, as the executions for his special attacks require a lengthy set-up. In Neo Geo Battle Coliseum, he was slightly toned down to be a strong mid/long-ranged fighter, but is considered bottom tier due to being slow compared to other characters.
His attacks and moves are named after fallen angels/demons with their names reversed. Thanatos, his super, is reference to the Spear of Longinus. Each of his special moves uses an ability and shares the name of one of his Seven Ancient Weapons. As revealed in Yuda's ending, the Seven Ancient Weapons personify the Seven Kings of Hell. They have Seven Deadly Sins assigned to them, according to Peter Binsfield's classification of demons. Each one can shift to form separate one-winged beings carrying their respective weapons. He also has 8 wings, each wing refers to one of the 7 ancient weapons/demons he posses and the last 8th wing is his own.
His weapons are inscribed with stylistic eyes and designs similar to those engraved on Deku & Dekuina's and Oboro's weapons. His sword makes lightsaber sound effects when it swings through the air. When his Rage gauge is full, the color of his skin doesn't change. Instead, his hair turns white, his pupils and weapons become red in color - the latter to indicate that they are indeed alive, and become raged themselves.
- Slasher Demon - Samurai Shodown 64-2
- Asura, The Avenger in Black - Samurai Spirits 2: Asura-Zanmaden (OVA)
- KOF x Fatal Fury
Asura in Samurai Shodown 64-2.
- Asura Portrait-2.jpg
Asura in Neo Geo Battle Coliseum.