Yahoo Japan scam warning

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
I know some of you use this like me, so if you do read on, it may prove useful.

I lost an auction for some stuff, a pretty expensive one.

The next day I heard back from the "seller" stating that the high bidder had retracted and since the next highest was a zero feedback bidder, that I was being offered the item. My 96xxx bid was met with an offer of 96000 yen ($864) shipped.

So I transferred the funds, felt a bit uneasy doing it I can't say why, and here's where it gets fun. One e-mail since then to say "thanks, I will ship it tonight/tomorrow, so wait 3~4 days please." which sort of alarmed me since 3~4 days is a bit abnormal by local standards. But anyway I had paid by then so there was nothing I could do but wait, then I went on holiday out of Japan for 11 days, return and what a surprise, no box of goods waiting for me. No surprise since I had asked for an e-mail with the tracking number (twice I think) and even on holiday there was no response.

Well the reason for making this thread is because at the police station the sergeant told me that there are LOTS of these cases in Japan now, where some creative folk somehow get a hold of the bidders' e-mail addresses, claim to be the seller and make off with the loot. They tried calling the tel. # registered to the address and some old dear who picked up claimed no relation to the name of the seller but they had the same family name so I think I slightly misunderstood what was probably a "we don't speak to him" kind of "no relation." Personally, it reeks of bullshit when families claim that however I do accept that some people will use their relatives in cases such as this. The mobile number provided is surprisingly still in service but the cops got the same message from Vodaphone that I did, which was that either it was switched off or that there was no reception where the person is.

So if you get these 2nd chance offers from supposed auction sellers, one thing you can do is ignore them outright, another thing is check to see that for sure you are the high bidder. Yahoo jp sellers CAN cancel bids once the auction is over so you can ask them to make you the high bidder and if they can't, don't even think about dealing with them. I guess that was my great error here, not checking that before transferring as since I got onto Yahoo in late 1999 I've never been taken to the cleaners like this and I suppose you could say let my guard down. What can I say, I'm under-slept and in a huge rush to get things done here every day. Anyway the Japanese suck ass as much as everyone else so be careful.

slerch666

updyke,
Since I use a deputy service, Shopping Mall Japan or Masato, I don't really have to worry about this. Neither service offers the option to allow a "second chance" to go through, and even if they did, fuck that I don't trust anyone with shit like that. And $800 is more than I'd be willing to possibly be scammed with. If it were a second chance type offer for $50, I may do it.

Sorry about your luck. Is there any way to get your money back through the bank?

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Neo Bomber Man said:
I know some of you use this like me, so if you do read on, it may prove useful.

I lost an auction for some stuff, a pretty expensive one.

The next day I heard back from the "seller" stating that the high bidder had retracted and since the next highest was a zero feedback bidder, that I was being offered the item. My 96xxx bid was met with an offer of 96000 yen ($864) shipped.

So I transferred the funds, felt a bit uneasy doing it I can't say why, and here's where it gets fun. One e-mail since then to say "thanks, I will ship it tonight/tomorrow, so wait 3~4 days please." which sort of alarmed me since 3~4 days is a bit abnormal by local standards. But anyway I had paid by then so there was nothing I could do but wait, then I went on holiday out of Japan for 11 days, return and what a surprise, no box of goods waiting for me. No surprise since I had asked for an e-mail with the tracking number (twice I think) and even on holiday there was no response.

Well the reason for making this thread is because at the police station the sergeant told me that there are LOTS of these cases in Japan now, where some creative folk somehow get a hold of the bidders' e-mail addresses, claim to be the seller and make off with the loot. They tried calling the tel. # registered to the address and some old dear who picked up claimed no relation to the name of the seller but they had the same family name so I think I slightly misunderstood what was probably a "we don't speak to him" kind of "no relation." Personally, it reeks of bullshit when families claim that however I do accept that some people will use their relatives in cases such as this. The mobile number provided is surprisingly still in service but the cops got the same message from Vodaphone that I did, which was that either it was switched off or that there was no reception where the person is.

So if you get these 2nd chance offers from supposed auction sellers, one thing you can do is ignore them outright, another thing is check to see that for sure you are the high bidder. Yahoo jp sellers CAN cancel bids once the auction is over so you can ask them to make you the high bidder and if they can't, don't even think about dealing with them. I guess that was my great error here, not checking that before transferring as since I got onto Yahoo in late 1999 I've never been taken to the cleaners like this and I suppose you could say let my guard down. What can I say, I'm under-slept and in a huge rush to get things done here every day. Anyway the Japanese suck ass as much as everyone else so be careful.
shame man.. feel bad for you. got burnt lately myself, how I hate all the foreplay - you have the alarm bells ringing in the back of your mind but you snuff them out.

and the bumbling japanese cops are funny. they may have the best of intentions but the stuff I've seen happen and the way they've reacted makes me laugh out loud.
I hope you somehow get retribution man..

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
The thread was more directed at people who bid directly such as I do, and since I did a postal transfer, but a transfer at all and not some kind of credit card payment (which would not work anyway since the address registered to the card is in Canada which is not what I want) then the money is as good as gone.

@ Joe:

I know, you just want to kick yourself afterwards but what's to be done by then. High risk high return... seems like it's a way of living life with this kind of business.

I can't say I have all my faith in Japan's finest either. I've said it before, I hope they have protocol for dealing with everything they might encounter along the way as if they actually have to think, it tends to result in a lot of standing around, looking stupid and completely disregarding modern reality, making suggestions based on 300-year-old ideas that people are honourable and all sorts of nonsense that get them absolutely nowhere.