XBOX 360 resolution?

daybona

Juz,
I just got a 360 and realized that unlike the triple, the 360 allows you to play the game in any resolution you want.

This brings up the question what is best resolution to play in. 1080p would be the obvious answer but does a game that is not natively 1080p suffer graphically. ie lowered frame rates and such?

Thanks!

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
Not sure what type of display you've got, but I think it would be best to set it to your display's native resolution. But what matters most of all is what looks good to you.

daybona

Juz,
Hentai Sama said:
Not sure what type of display you've got, but I think it would be best to set it to your display's native resolution. But what matters most of all is what looks good to you.

Yeah, I tend to agree with you but upscanning something so much may hurt the image quality I am afraid, although a game like Halo is LOCKED at 30 fps I'm sure.

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
So I'm assuming your set is 1080p? If that's the case, then most games are going to be upscaled no matter what you set it to. Halo 3 runs at a resolution slightly lower than 720p, by the way.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
Hentai Sama said:
So I'm assuming your set is 1080p? If that's the case, then most games are going to be upscaled no matter what you set it to. Halo 3 runs at a resolution slightly lower than 720p, by the way.

That is what it is programmed in.

The great thing about the 360 is that the video scaler is built into the hardware. So it takes the games programmed resolution and then upscans it to the res you decide. I am running Halo3 @1080i on my CRT and its smooth as butter and very pretty.

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
kernow said:
ps3 has a hardware scaler too

It is my understanding that the PS3 has horizontal scaling only, allowing it to scale games to 960x1080, but not 1920x1080. Also, it has to be implemented by the software developer, and thus won't work for games developed prior to the January SDK update. Unless there has been an additional SDK released since then that allows vertical scaling, which is possible.

The 360 supports full hardware scaling to 1920x1080p, for all games, without requiring specific implementation by software developers.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
Bishamon said:
The 360 supports full hardware scaling to 1920x1080p, for all games, without requiring specific implementation by software developers.

Yep. Set the 360 to the native resolution of your HDTV and you're all good.

The PS3 is a huge waste of money, and I can't believe anyone would buy one with a straight face. Especially someone who was into HighDef gaming.

Sony made such a HUGE deal about the 360 not doing 1080p last year, and as always in Sony fashion they fail to live up to their own hype and most games run in *GASP* 720P!

I think it's ironic that the 360 is superior now, and all it took was a firmware update.

BTW, kernow deserves to die. seriously.

barf

Maxima's Barber
DurandalThoth said:
Yep. Set the 360 to the native resolution of your HDTV and you're all good.

The PS3 is a huge waste of money, and I can't believe anyone would buy one with a straight face. Especially someone who was into HighDef gaming.

Sony made such a HUGE deal about the 360 not doing 1080p last year, and as always in Sony fashion they fail to live up to their own hype and most games run in *GASP* 720P!

I think it's ironic that the 360 is superior now, and all it took was a firmware update.

BTW, kernow deserves to die. seriously.

The 360 is a great design for programming, but so poorly crafted on hardware level that you need a PS3 to play games when it travels to and from the Tech Center for "repair" (i.e. refurb replacement). The Xbox 360 scaler is great, better than my LCD's integrated one :)

People want to see on the toshiba I/O chip of the PS3 a SCC (http://www.hotchips.org/archives/hc17/2_Mon/HC17.S1/HC17.S1T3.pdf hence with hardware scaling), but afaik it is not.

Sony want to do as much as possible on the CELL, but it takes time for proper implementation, PS3 is a rushed job. I thought they had good scaler functions now, i guess i am wrong

Last edited: