WTB: MVS Pochi and Nyaa

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
92   0   0
WANTED: MVS Pochi and Nyaa cartridge
(loose cart, any country, any condition, but must be 100% authentic & working)

EDIT: Cartridge Acquired. Thanks.

Last edited:

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
92   0   0
Bumper Cars

Bumped!
Please PM me if you have one of these.
Thanks.

Last edited:

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
92   0   0
December Bump & Jump.
(Please PM me, Paypal cash is ready to fly!)

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
Good luck, tough to find. In 3 years of collecting I only ever saw one come up, and I grabbed it.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
51   0   0

That's a good price. I paid a good $50 more for my loose copy ;)

The real question is, what version is it? I've got a v2.00 that is a full kit, and a v2.02 that is a loose cart. I'm not entirely sure the v2.00 was released for sale, and may have just been a sample run. Either way there are slight differences between the two versions, but they both play the same... One of these days I should send the v2.02 cart to be dumped, as only v2.00 is in MAME.

Eh... Not to derail the thread, $200 for a Pochi is not bad at all.

Last edited:

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
92   0   0
The Communications Barrier

Well, I appreciate all the advice. And I agree, yes, $200 or so is a fair price for one, and I am ready to buy it at that price. Only the problem is, that website is a freakin' maze of complicated Japanese descriptions and options; even with my translator, I am finding it difficult to "place" my order there.

I didn't know there were two revisions of the game, that is interesting indeed. I'll need to check mine and see which revision I have as well. Someone here should do a compare & contrast and document the differences so we can know what they are.

Thanks for the link, and I will try again to order it here in a minute. I just wish I could find one on ebay. So much faster, easier, safer, and simpler. But oh well.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Bought a full kit from Tomcat almost 3 years ago for 150 Euros.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Bought a full kit from Tomcat almost 3 years ago for 150 Euros.

€150 is $200 ;)

The Neo Store had full kits for $150 back in 2003/4 or so. :( Wish I would have grabbed one then. Full kits are worth a lot more now, so you got a nice price on it. I picked up a loose cart, and then a full kit thinking I'd sell off the loose... Then found out they were different versions, so I've held onto both for now. What version is your kit? You can see the version in the soft dip menu, right after the game's name.

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
278   0   0
If you want it, I can help you buy it and send it to you. Gimme a PM if you are interested.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
92   0   0
Well, that's that.

If you want it, I can help you buy it and send it to you. Gimme a PM if you are interested.

Thanks very much for that offer. I was able to place the order after all. Their communication is excellent and they replied to my inquiry pretty quickly and sent me an invoice and I sent the paypal payment.

Hopefully it will be a smooth transaction. The vast majority of overseas purchases I make are through ebay, and they always go well, but these purchases make me nervous. I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for everyone's help here.

Fox1

20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
278   0   0
Thanks very much for that offer. I was able to place the order after all. Their communication is excellent and they replied to my inquiry pretty quickly and sent me an invoice and I sent the paypal payment.

Hopefully it will be a smooth transaction. The vast majority of overseas purchases I make are through ebay, and they always go well, but these purchases make me nervous. I will let you know how it turns out.

I'm glad everything worked out. I've bought many things from them, very professional.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
51   0   0

What was shipping like to the US? I was thinking of picking a few things up from them as well.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
92   0   0
Sophia Corporation

What was shipping like to the US? I was thinking of picking a few things up from them as well.

Well, here is what my final invoice and price breakdown was. Keep in mind that this was for one japanese pochi and nyaa mvs cartridge, and accompanied art/paperwork.

Also, consider that I needed the cart, no matter what, so price was not a factor, I may very well have overpaid, but I was tired of searching for one of these.

16,800 YEN for the game
2,800 YEN for EMS shipping
838 YEN for paypal fee
20,438 YEN final and actual price i paid

The company actually has 3 or 4 more carts that I would like to buy, but I wanted to keep this order (my first with them) separate in case anything goes wrong. So if you or anyone else wants to get in with me and order a bunch of carts, let me know.

(and maybe fox can help make it easier for us by dealing with them directly himself, and then us with fox?)
(i would send fox a commission and/or a free cart for his help of course)

Last edited:

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
92   0   0
The real question is, what version is it? I've got a v2.00 that is a full kit, and a v2.02 that is a loose cart. I'm not entirely sure the v2.00 was released for sale, and may have just been a sample run. Either way there are slight differences between the two versions, but they both play the same... One of these days I should send the v2.02 cart to be dumped, as only v2.00 is in MAME.

Maybe a mod here can move this thread to "general discussion" at this point?
Reason being I have now already received my cartridge and so now I am focusing more on the above discussion regarding the different revisions of the game.

Ok, so firstly, heads up to Sophia Corporation which was offered up earlier in this thread as a place in Japan to purchase this game, as well as other mvs carts and jamma boards.
Their communication was excellent and the shipping was lightning fast. The purchasing / invoice system which they use can be a little confusing, but in the end, I just sent the paypal payment to them and they did the rest I suppose. And get this, the shipping ended up being slightly cheaper once they posted the package, and they literally sent me an email offering me to refund the difference. Unbelievable.

Anyhow, onto the game itself.
So the Pochi and Nyaa cartridge which I have had for years now, I purchased from Mr. Vinh Trieu back when the news of this game first broke, and a panic ensued that it was a "very limited production run". I don't remember what I paid back then, but it was for a 100% complete USA/English kit. This time around, it was kind of a Japanese kit that I purchased (only the box was not included). And so following RabbitTroop's instructions, here is what I found:

English labeled grey cartridge comes up in the soft dip menu as: POCHI & NYAA V2.00
Japanese labeled black cartridge comes up in the soft dip menu as: POCHI & NYAA V2.02

Secondly, the version 2.00 comes up OK in Razoola's checksum when using the uni-bios while the version 2.02 comes up "NG" (no good)
So obviously it has not yet been added to his data base. (keep in mind this was unibios version 3.0 and the newer 3.1 may in fact already have it, not sure.

Anyhow, I have no idea what the differences are. Nothing major that I could see in the short time I fiddled with the carts. I also find myself curious if a V2.01
may have existed at some point? Interestingly, the P roms on Pochi carts are eproms, not mask roms, and the stickers on some of them also state the revision,
so it would be easy enough to read and dump this one eprom to have the second revision made available, if in fact that is the only change (modified data) between them.

One last comment, if I may, does anybody here know how to get the English title screen? I tried almost all formats and all countries, debug bios, unibios, mvs single slot, four slot, etc.
They ALL come up with the Japanese title screen, regardless of settings. Why? I know for a FACT that a USA/English title screen exists because you can find pics of it on the internet.

Very strange indeed.
I will retest and reconfirm all the different settings, countries, regions, etc. and report back.
Regards.

pochi_nyaa-1.png
EDIT: Seems the Japanese title screen has a 2002/2003 copyright line while the English title screen has a copyright of 2004.
And upon closer inspection, this thing looks totally fake!

Last edited:

Fox1

20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
278   0   0
Well, here is what my final invoice and price breakdown was. Keep in mind that this was for one japanese pochi and nyaa mvs cartridge, and accompanied art/paperwork.

Also, consider that I needed the cart, no matter what, so price was not a factor, I may very well have overpaid, but I was tired of searching for one of these.

16,800 YEN for the game
2,800 YEN for EMS shipping
838 YEN for paypal fee
20,438 YEN final and actual price i paid

The company actually has 3 or 4 more carts that I would like to buy, but I wanted to keep this order (my first with them) separate in case anything goes wrong. So if you or anyone else wants to get in with me and order a bunch of carts, let me know.

(and maybe fox can help make it easier for us by dealing with them directly himself, and then us with fox?)
(i would send fox a commission and/or a free cart for his help of course)

anytime~

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
I am fairly certain there is no English title screen. That screen is likely from a hacked ROM.

Last edited:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Maybe a mod here can move this thread to "general discussion" at this point?
Reason being I have now already received my cartridge and so now I am focusing more on the above discussion regarding the different revisions of the game.

Ok, so firstly, heads up to Sophia Corporation which was offered up earlier in this thread as a place in Japan to purchase this game, as well as other mvs carts and jamma boards.
Their communication was excellent and the shipping was lightning fast. The purchasing / invoice system which they use can be a little confusing, but in the end, I just sent the paypal payment to them and they did the rest I suppose. And get this, the shipping ended up being slightly cheaper once they posted the package, and they literally sent me an email offering me to refund the difference. Unbelievable.

Anyhow, onto the game itself.
So the Pochi and Nyaa cartridge which I have had for years now, I purchased from Mr. Vinh Trieu back when the news of this game first broke, and a panic ensued that it was a "very limited production run". I don't remember what I paid back then, but it was for a 100% complete USA/English kit. This time around, it was kind of a Japanese kit that I purchased (only the box was not included). And so following RabbitTroop's instructions, here is what I found:

English labeled grey cartridge comes up in the soft dip menu as: POCHI & NYAA V2.00
Japanese labeled black cartridge comes up in the soft dip menu as: POCHI & NYAA V2.02

Secondly, the version 2.00 comes up OK in Razoola's checksum when using the uni-bios while the version 2.02 comes up "NG" (no good)
So obviously it has not yet been added to his data base. (keep in mind this was unibios version 3.0 and the newer 3.1 may in fact already have it, not sure.

Anyhow, I have no idea what the differences are. Nothing major that I could see in the short time I fiddled with the carts. I also find myself curious if a V2.01
may have existed at some point? Interestingly, the P roms on Pochi carts are eproms, not mask roms, and the stickers on some of them also state the revision,
so it would be easy enough to read and dump this one eprom to have the second revision made available, if in fact that is the only change (modified data) between them.

One last comment, if I may, does anybody here know how to get the English title screen? I tried almost all formats and all countries, debug bios, unibios, mvs single slot, four slot, etc.
They ALL come up with the Japanese title screen, regardless of settings. Why? I know for a FACT that a USA/English title screen exists because you can find pics of it on the internet.

Very strange indeed.
I will retest and reconfirm all the different settings, countries, regions, etc. and report back.
Regards.

View attachment 3626
EDIT: Seems the Japanese title screen has a 2002/2003 copyright line while the English title screen has a copyright of 2004.
And upon closer inspection, this thing looks totally fake!

First major difference you'll see is that after ending the game in 2.02, and if you enter your initials, the high score screen will not be displayed. Also, the music ends abruptly after the Continue countdown and you're thrown back to the attract screen. On 2.0 music continues to play after continue and you'll see the high score table at the end of the game. Play is a bit more balanced in 2.0.2 as well. Difficulty was decreased a little and overall I think it plays a bit better. There are likely other small gameplay tweaks I haven't picked up on. I actually got a 2.0.2 first and later got a 2.0... So for me, I guess I notice the differences pretty quickly when things are added ;)

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
92   0   0
version 2.00 versus 2.02

One of the very first things I noticed when I first got this game way back in the day, was that it was too difficult for me. I usually love puzzle games, and I probably enjoy them more then any other genre, so I am pretty good at them, but this game came off as too hard.

Now granted, I did not fully understand the game play mechanics, and the game instructions were not translated from Japanese into English very well, so those factors didn't help either. But regardless, I did not have as much fun with the game as I had hoped for.

Now, that was version 2.00 so is what you said above "reversed"? Did you mean to say 2.02 had the difficulty eased down and the game play balanced?

What I am trying to say is I want the easier and more balanced / refined gameplay, but I don't want that high score / name entry / music glitch in my version. Is that glitch in 2.00?

In short, is the below accurate?
Version 2.00 (glitched and too hard)
Version 2.02 (corrected and easier)

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
What exactly is glitched in the 2.00 version? I played that and can't identify any glitches. Agreed that the AI is ruthless though.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
92   0   0
What exactly is glitched in the 2.00 version? I played that and can't identify any glitches. Agreed that the AI is ruthless though.

Well, I called it a "glitch" or a "bug" based on what he described. He clearly said: "...after ending the game in 2.02, and if you enter your initials, the high score screen will not be displayed. Also, the music ends abruptly after the Continue countdown and you're thrown back to the attract screen. On 2.0 music continues to play after continue and you'll see the high score table at the end of the game..."

That is absolutely without a doubt a "bug" or "glitch" by software programming standards. The only question I was left with was if he confused the two versions when he wrote that. It makes logical sense to me that he did, because usually revisions are made to correct these glitches, so logically the second revision (the newer one) was released to correct it. But I need confirmation from him before I can be sure.

Lastly, I am still waiting for an "expert" to confirm for me that the programming changes made between the two revisions would have been made to the P rom. Reason being, if only the P rom was modified from 2.00 to 2.02 and since the P rom is already an EPROM anyway, you can simply reprogram the P rom and wala, you can update any Pochi cart from one revision to the other with ease.