Would anyone play something like this?

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
First and foremost, this is all just hypothetical speak for the time being. Don't be sending me messages down the road that are all like OMG WHAT HAPPENED TO THIS?!

With the recent release of the MVS dev guide, I've been able to figure out how to program for the blasted console, and it's actually pretty fun to do once you get the hang of it. (less annoying than PS2 coding)

My initial project was a mock up of the old SNES Power Rangers side-scroll beat em up with better music, 2p support, and just looked better and was more challenging. I ran into an issue where I wanted the big boss fights to act somewhat like teleroboxer and utilize both players sticks, but I can't get it to work in a single player game, so that's on hold until I can figure out what's up.

The other project is an enchanced port of Mega Man X, longer levels, balance tweaks (some weapons were just too powerful whereas others were awful), better music (I've come to realize I LOVE the soundchip for this console), and would utilize memorycard slots to save progress as opposed to the shitty password system.

My main question I suppose is this. Would the community even be remotely interested in something like this if I was to actually do it, or would it become useless shovelware that no one would even pay attention to. Or for that matter, things that you think would be cool that isn't a fighter, shooter, or puzzle game.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Mega Man, yes.

Mega Man X Neo? ;)

Last edited:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
in for megaman. power rangers not so much (well maybe if it was $20).

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
Megaman is a definite yes. I actually enjoyed that Power Rangers game back in the day, tho.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
All of the above sound very interesting, donno if I could afford to buy a cart if the NG.DEV games are any indication though.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Sounds cool. I still want an Ikari Warriors style game using the buttons for directional fire.

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
I wouldn't be selling them, I'd just give you guys the ROMs and let you do whatever once it was done, though I'd probably offer to make carts at cost at request. I guess I better get back to work on Mega Man :lolz:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
I wouldn't be selling them, I'd just give you guys the ROMs and let you do whatever once it was done, though I'd probably offer to make carts at cost at request. I guess I better get back to work on Mega Man :lolz:

i look forward to it.

ObeyMyEgo

Kula's Candy
Ahh thats to nice of you to be honest. Time is money. Make some money so you can keep making them for us !

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I suppose I prefer original games to fan ports, but these would be very interesting to see running on the hardware. The main problem is we really need a flash cart for the Neo if these kinds of projects become common. I don't want to destroy a cart just for a fan hack and if it's just going to run on an emulator there's not much point of making it for Neo Geo imo.

I have a boot that came with a slotted board inside though. It gave me the idea of making a slotted cart for easily swapping EPROMs, but that may not work with every kind of game. Plus it will put a lot of wear and tear on expensive chips.

Warpedflash

Crazed MVS Addict
More games for the neo are always appreciated (even diggerman was bought :S) Might finally push me to lean how to burn eproms

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
This sounds great... anything that is not a fighter, defintely gets a thumbs up from me.

It would be great if we can find a way of creating carts from scratch and therefore not have to SAC an official cart for the sake of a homebrew game.
Maybe, running ROMs from SD card...?

N30_G30_speed

Angel's Love Slave
Isn't there a similar Project for the Dreamcast with card reader support? something like BOR? or something like that?

thumb_2720.jpg

Anyway, yeah I'm always interested in fanmade stuff of great games:snack:
Something like THAT for the Neo? orgasmtastic:vik:

Last edited: