With all due respect: Why did 72 million Americans vote to reMAGA? (A thread for healing.)

y USA do dis

• Total voters

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
It is crazy that so many Rural Americans came out for this guy who has never lived in Rural America, has no connection to rural america and looks down on rural america.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Without FDR, most Tennesseeans would never exist.

You mean all the people that moved to Tennessee right?

Because he definitely tried to make sure the ones that were there already couldn't exist anymore.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
You mean all the people that moved to Tennessee right?

Because he definitely tried to make sure the ones that were there already couldn't exist anymore.

Malaria, and cholera before it, was doing that before FDR was elected.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Who can watch the administration/campaign's (is there a difference?) actions in the aftermath of the election and, sincerely, see either nothing out of the ordinary (something that "both sides" would be doing) or a legitimate attempt to fight election fraud?

Who can see either of those things, instead of an incumbent trying to nullify an election in order to remain in power?

If he were to succeed, what could you possibly call that, aside from the end of American democracy?

How myopic would you have to be to dismiss concern over this as "orange man bad?"

lithy

20 Year Member
Who can see either of those things, instead of an incumbent trying to nullify an election in order to remain in power?

If he were to succeed, what could you possibly call that, aside from the end of American democracy?

How myopic would you have to be to dismiss concern over this as "orange man bad?"

Doesn't 'If he were to succeed' look so unlikely as to be basically just a scare tactic though? He is getting almost nothing as far as I can tell through the various lawsuits. He'll get recounts that he is entitled to ask for sure, but the counts are so far apart that even with significant vote changes, he still won't see a change in outcome. He's throwing a hissy, but until I see something actually happen, this just forestalls the inevitable.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Like I said in the 2020 thread, I don't think that the likelihood of success should be how we calibrate our response. The president's entire term was defined by open attempts, not to circumvent or erode, but to end, the rule of law.

I would call those attacks qualitatively and quantitatively more severe than ones we've seen from previous administrations.

The legislature has put the burden of mitigating these attacks on "the courts," all while confirming judicial appointees who make that less and less likely.

That's what we're depending on when we dismiss these schemes.

A legitimately won second term would be terrifying enough on its own. Can you imagine a stolen second term?

As shitty as Biden's going to be, and he is going to be shitty, I can't understand people who think it's pilled to see him as nothing more than a different asshole.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Sorry, you'll have to enlighten me on which ones those are.

https://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/automatic-recount-thresholds.aspx

If he's not entitled, then it should be a moot point.

But it seems like it's not a moot point, which makes me wonder about the rule of law in the country.

Judges may be tossing these cases out, for now, but think about how many judges just got sat by this guy who has displayed contempt for the law throughout the election process, and how eventually one of these types of cases will land on the desk of a judge that was sat via contempt of the law.

It's a scary thought.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
I see a few guys here who come off as Trump supporters because they are social nimbyists, rejecting the notion that they might be enabling the systemic problems in America, to the point they don't want to even hear about it. Progressive ideals are not such a problem, and if someone can implement them without bothering anyone, great; unless and until the social nimbyist is forced to confront themselves and make personal changes to their attitude and behavior, at which point the problems arise, as personal accountability is completely not acceptable to them.

I relied too much on what people thought about me that I lost focus of my true self.

This can't be more true.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Just one last thing.

If Trump is willing to try to steal or undermine the election to the extent that he already has, despite the damage it's already doing, what will he be willing to do when/if the current strategy fails?

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
That's a good question, and a valid one. What's even more concerning are the fools willing to go along with him in trying to completely ignore the democratic process.

lithy

20 Year Member
https://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/automatic-recount-thresholds.aspx

If he's not entitled, then it should be a moot point.

But it seems like it's not a moot point, which makes me wonder about the rule of law in the country.

Judges may be tossing these cases out, for now, but think about how many judges just got sat by this guy who has displayed contempt for the law throughout the election process, and how eventually one of these types of cases will land on the desk of a judge that was sat via contempt of the law.

It's a scary thought.

Wait, so it was just a matter of semantics? That's a lot less interesting than I had hoped.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
but until I see something actually happen, this just forestalls the inevitable.

You have been so far behind the 8ball on this authoritarian shitshow going back to 2016.

By the time people like you "see something actually happen", it will be too late.

-When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Who can watch the administration/campaign's (is there a difference?) actions in the aftermath of the election and, sincerely, see either nothing out of the ordinary (something that "both sides" would be doing) or a legitimate attempt to fight election fraud?

I was told just today by someone I know that Trump will win at the Supreme Court.

Trust the plan.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
If your re-election strategy depends on a constitutional crisis, a total disregard for the policies and procedures in place and people you have installed in courts..... You might be a dictator

And yes, 72 million+ people (such as lagduf's friend) are for this.

Authoritarianism works.

People wonder why Joe Biden's support among black people slipped to Willie Horton era numbers.... Black people are authoritarians too (actually a lot more of them than 12%).

Hispanics?
-Lots of Authoritarians

Authoritarianism works. In 1980, people susceptible to authoritarian messaging were pretty evenly split between the major parties. Authoritarian susceptible people have slowly drifted towards the republican party. Donald trump has galvanized, coalesced and empowered them.

Last edited: