WHO HERE IS GETTING HalfLife2 on xbox?

Garou[ryu]

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Been waiting for this game for Alooooooooooong time now and its going to be released tommorow!!!
anyone here planing on picking this one up? I got mine reserved allready. And I suggest anyone with an xbox does the same!

with this and samurai showdown 5 comeing out who need a 360!?!

dammit i still want one!

$tarry Wisdom

New Challenger
I think I will. EGM said there were frame rate issues in their copy- but assumed this would be fixed by the release. I don't have a high end PC and don't really play any PC games but Mame and stuff like Pirates! I was very impressed with Doom3, so yeah- I think I'll pick up HalfLife2 to see if the hype is warranted.

P00t

Fuck eBay & PayPal,
Ive been waiting for this but im abit miffed about getting it now with all the issues ive been hearing about.

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
I was thinking about it even though I own the PC version, but after seeing comparison screen shots, I will pass on this. The X-Box version really looks hacked down. The graphics of Half-Life 2 on the PC when properly setup are nothing short of amazing.

The X-Box cannot do a lot of that...so I would recommend if you have a strong PC, just get the PC version because you will be much happier with that.

Shawn Carr2o

6200|!!|Drillslug Driver
MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!. :drool: ;)

piocd53152.jpg

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
It truly is a great game. If you don't have this gem for the PC and/or don't have the PC to run it, get this game.

$tarry Wisdom

New Challenger
You know what sucks guys? Not having some badass overclocked PC. I mean- I could build/buy one- but it's just too $$$. Also- I would have to sit in front of my PC in my 'office chair' and that'd be uncomfortable if I'm trying to relax. I've always felt PC games were something made for people who had to work and wanted to kill some boredom. If I want to watch the Matrix or Kill Bill I don't want to be sitting in front of my monitor- you know what I'm sayin'?

Sundance

Sho's Rival
DangerousK said:
I was thinking about it even though I own the PC version, but after seeing comparison screen shots, I will pass on this. The X-Box version really looks hacked down. The graphics of Half-Life 2 on the PC when properly setup are nothing short of amazing.

The X-Box cannot do a lot of that...so I would recommend if you have a strong PC, just get the PC version because you will be much happier with that.

Dido...after playing the PC version anything else is a letdown.

Argentina94

Slug Flyer Pilot
20 Year Member
$tarry Wisdom said:
You know what sucks guys? Not having some badass overclocked PC. I mean- I could build/buy one- but it's just too $$$. Also- I would have to sit in front of my PC in my 'office chair' and that'd be uncomfortable if I'm trying to relax. I've always felt PC games were something made for people who had to work and wanted to kill some boredom. If I want to watch the Matrix or Kill Bill I don't want to be sitting in front of my monitor- you know what I'm sayin'?

Same reason I never play PC games.

The hardware costs don't justify the reason it's used for.

Much rather play on a $200 system that's close to PC (or even a $500 360 that can easily match the PC) on a big screen and professional sound system that a desktop setup.

I'll have no problems enjoying Half Life 2 on my obsolete XBOX.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Argentina94 said:
Same reason I never play PC games.

The hardware costs don't justify the reason it's used for.

Much rather play on a $200 system that's close to PC (or even a $500 360 that can easily match the PC) on a big screen and professional sound system that a desktop setup.

I'll have no problems enjoying Half Life 2 on my obsolete XBOX.
I'm going to first tell you to just hook your PC up to your home theater, then present my own point...

DID I HEAR SOMEONE UTTER THE WORDS "NO MULTIPLAYER"???? WTF???

ajk1080

Ukyo's Doctor
I am enjoying it, but the framerate really chugs in some spots. Especially after it is done loading. With the release of x360 next week, the story and game is so awsome I wish they would have made it for the 360. They could have included CS:Source for multiplayer too, that would have rocked.

I dont have a pc powerfull enough to enjoy it so this will have to do. it truly is an amazing game. Must own if you dont have a powerfull enough pc.

BTW is this game using the Havoc 3 engine like F.E.A.R.? I though i saw that havoc engine copyright thing at the first credit screen at the begining of the game, but then it said,"Powered by Source" Is Sourse the name of its engine or Havoc? Not that it really matters, just curious.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
ajk1080 said:
I am enjoying it, but the framerate really chugs in some spots. Especially after it is done loading. With the release of x360 next week, the story and game is so awsome I wish they would have made it for the 360. They could have included CS:Source for multiplayer too, that would have rocked.

I dont have a pc powerfull enough to enjoy it so this will have to do. it truly is an amazing game. Must own if you dont have a powerfull enough pc.

BTW is this game using the Havoc 3 engine like F.E.A.R.? I though i saw that havoc engine copyright thing at the first credit screen at the begining of the game, but then it said,"Powered by Source" Is Sourse the name of its engine or Havoc? Not that it really matters, just curious.
Havoc is the physics engine, Source is basically, um, Valve's way of raping players in order to prevent illegal distribution of their games. It's an internet network that always logs you in when you play by default, unless you change your settings. To set the game up, the PC version has to go through Source- doing so right when the game launched a year ago was completely retarded- it took me 6 hours, and that was far better than the people who had to wait more than a day.

Argentina94

Slug Flyer Pilot
20 Year Member
SpamYouToDeath said:
I'm going to first tell you to just hook your PC up to your home theater, then present my own point...

DID I HEAR SOMEONE UTTER THE WORDS "NO MULTIPLAYER"???? WTF???

And how much is a PC that will let me play Half Life 2 optimally?

SpamYouToDeath

15 Year Member
jro said:
Havoc is the physics engine, Source is basically, um, Valve's way of raping players in order to prevent illegal distribution of their games. It's an internet network that always logs you in when you play by default, unless you change your settings. To set the game up, the PC version has to go through Source- doing so right when the game launched a year ago was completely retarded- it took me 6 hours, and that was far better than the people who had to wait more than a day.
BZZT
Wrong!

Source is VALVEs core engine technology that powers HL2, CSS, DoD:S, and all HL2 mods (in addition to Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines).

Steam is the online distribution system that personally has never given me problems. It's nowhere to be found in the XBox version anyway because everyone knows Microsoft's built-in antipiracy is unbreakable.

SpamYouToDeath

15 Year Member
Argentina94 said:
And how much is a PC that will let me play Half Life 2 optimally?
Got my HL2 rig in 2000 for $1000, plays HL2 on medium settings at 1024x768 just fine. You could buy a $500 Dell and it would probably run it better than the XBox. And that's including an extra monitor, keyboard, speakers, etc.

Snuh

Sieger's Squire
I have it on PC. Great game but I find myself playing Counter Strike Source more than HL2

Argentina94

Slug Flyer Pilot
20 Year Member
SpamYouToDeath said:
Got my HL2 rig in 2000 for $1000, plays HL2 on medium settings at 1024x768 just fine. You could buy a $500 Dell and it would probably run it better than the XBox. And that's including an extra monitor, keyboard, speakers, etc.

But what are the recommended system requirements for Half Life 2?

Processor Speed, RAM, video card, ad nauseum?

$1000 sounds really cheap for a rig that can play that game. What do I need to play it as it was meant to be played on PC? This is why I said optimally.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
I am so busy with MKDS and playing Halo 2 online that I will wait for a used copy of HL2 Xbox.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Argentina94 said:
But what are the recommended system requirements for Half Life 2?

Processor Speed, RAM, video card, ad nauseum?

$1000 sounds really cheap for a rig that can play that game. What do I need to play it as it was meant to be played on PC? This is why I said optimally.

I'd say 2 ghz +, 1024mb ram, Radeon 9800+ or Geforce 6600GT+ and you will have the game looking excellent. You can spend more, but realistically you won't gain alot in looks as this game runs well on anything. Anyone that says you need a 7800/X1800 for this game is a fool (overkill).

My friend has a 2.4 ghz P4, a radeon 9700 pro and 512mb DDR 2100 and can run the game on high with 4xAA 1024x768 - nuff said.

Half Life 2 looks very nice on almost all hardware however, I recall it looks pretty sweet even on a 1.4 ghz P4 with a Geforce 3 (med settings 800x600). I tried it on a GF4MX, it ran fine but looks alot like HL1... You really need a DX 8 / 9 card to enjoy this game.