Which makes a better old school gaming setup?

thirdkind

Chin's Bartender
20 Year Member
So I'm putting a nerd station in my bedroom because it's not like anything else goes on in there these days. Said nerd station will consist of a display and a bunch of classic consoles.

First idea is to pick up a tube off craigslist, probably a 27" Sony Wega since they're all over the place for next to nothing. Any system capable of component video would be connected that way. Any system without component video but capable of RGB output via SCART (Genesis, Neo, SNES, Saturn, etc.) would have a SCART cable connected to a SCART to component converter. I won't have to mod anything to achieve really good image quality. The stragglers like my NES would be hooked up via composite or S-video and look pretty decent.

Second idea involves a Hitachi 20" CRT monitor (VGA) I've been hanging on to for years. Great monitor, flat tube, black, very nice. I'd connect any SCART-capable system (RGB) to a SCART to VGA converter and send that to the display. Anything else would have to be upscaled (XRGB?) and probably not look all that great.

Last idea is a rom box connected to the Hitachi. Probably the easiest way to go, but not as much fun. Upside is that I could sell my current consoles and games and use the money to build the PC.

Opinions?

thirdkind

Chin's Bartender
20 Year Member
The center piece of my entire game room is a 27" Sony Vega. Awesome TV for old school gaming.

I used to have a 32", so I'm a huge fan. They're great TVs.

I found a guy who has a 27" for sale that he claims hasn't seen more than 300 hours of use because he's not a big TV watcher. I got him down to $100, which I think is a good price. It looks exactly like yours, so it's probably the same model or very similar.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Unless you get a X-RGB or something expensive like that, I bet you're going to have lag with that VGA box. That's been my experience, at least.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Euro-Scart TV (they all support 110V~250V and PAL/NTSC right out of the box), RGB cables, and that's it. XRGB and all that VGA stuff is not necessary and converters will make the output look shitty no matter what.

thirdkind

Chin's Bartender
20 Year Member
Unless you get a X-RGB or something expensive like that, I bet you're going to have lag with that VGA box. That's been my experience, at least.

XRGB was the plan if I went that direction.

Euro-Scart TV (they all support 110V~250V and PAL/NTSC right out of the box), RGB cables, and that's it. XRGB and all that VGA stuff is not necessary and converters will make the output look shitty no matter what.

I've heard good things about SCART to component converters, which is why I was leaning in that direction. So they're shit?

Where do I pick up a Euro TV without it costing me a small fortune?

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
Go with the first one (27" Wega). I still rock one of these as well. Great CRT. Cost effective and easy to obtain as you already have a seller.

I used to have an XRGB setup and they're great depending on what you throw at them, but I really only used it for playing shmups on a tated RGB monitor. The problem with getting an XRGB is price and availablity. Don't know if you have someone you can buy one from, but they do take some tracking down. Then you need to get a hold of cables if you don't already have them.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I've heard good things about SCART to component converters, which is why I was leaning in that direction. So they're shit?

Converting the RGB signal may give you color bleeding and moire effects, among other things. Some converters or TVs have filters to counter that but that sometimes leads to blurring, I've seen various converters in action and found the picture quality always inferior to direct RGB input.

Where do I pick up a Euro TV without it costing me a small fortune?

Good question. I'd try UK and continental Euro ebay, most of the better tube TVs are very cheap now. Shipping would be a bitch, though, at least for the larger models.

Another option would be used Commodore, Phillips or NEC MultiSync RGB monitors, most of them are quite small (max 17") but razor sharp and incredibly sturdy and durable. I've been using various Commodore RGB models for gaming for almost two decades now and still think they're the best monitors for home gaming ever made. Given that the US was "Amigaland" back in the day, it should be a piece of cake to find one of those in decent condition. At least most of the Commodore versions (models 1901, 1084 and 1084S) come with round DIN RGB ports or even scart ports.

thirdkind

Chin's Bartender
20 Year Member
I checked out ebay UK. Almost all the TVs up for bid are widescreen, and they're all listed as local pickup only.

Pisses me off because somebody had a 29" 4:3 Sony multi format monitor that supported pretty much all formats on ebay US last week when I first started looking. It was $550, but still.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I'd go w/ the Sony. Better range of Sync as well

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Thirdkind, you know your stuff...

...I just wanted to chime in and say the best picture I remember for gaming was from a Commodore monitor back in the day.

Your Hitachi may not be far off from that - or better?

thirdkind

Chin's Bartender
20 Year Member
Your Hitachi may not be far off from that - or better?

I've been hanging on to this monitor for a reason. It's one of the best CRTs I've seen, the controls let you tweak every last bit of the image, and unlike Sony's Trinitron CRTs, it doesn't have that stupid wire that runs across the center of the tube to hold the mask in place.

I think the size is fine considering I'll be sitting close to it, but any console that doesn't support RGB is going to look like shit, and I'm especially fond of my NES.

Eggy

Rugal's Thug
be careful with european tvs. some of them support neither 60hz nor ntsc. or only in black and white. then you're screwed.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Thoughts?

http://www.world-import.com/kv-29fx66.htm

More than I wanted to spend for sure, but it's new and has a SCART input.

I can't believe how tough it is to find a multi-system TV with SCART. They all seem to have gone to component only.

I can't imagine what that's gonna come to after shipping. Ouch. Then again, if you wanna be super-duper legit and have the best array of inputs for old school systems...

Aren't NES systems like nigh-impossible to mod for RGB? Like it requires a convertor from one of the Play-Choice systems or something? Been a long time since I grazed anything like this. I know there's one wacky Famicom/Sharp video titler oddity that actually outputs in S-video...

thirdkind

Chin's Bartender
20 Year Member
I can't imagine what that's gonna come to after shipping. Ouch. Then again, if you wanna be super-duper legit and have the best array of inputs for old school systems...

Aren't NES systems like nigh-impossible to mod for RGB? Like it requires a convertor from one of the Play-Choice systems or something? Been a long time since I grazed anything like this. I know there's one wacky Famicom/Sharp video titler oddity that actually outputs in S-video...

Shipping is about $175 via ground, so not exactly cheap, no, but that's what it would cost to ship any TV really, so they must have stock here in the states.

I've been investigating the NES RGB mod option. I was offered one at a good price, but it's supposedly in rough shape, and I like my systems minty fresh. Norton has the parts for sale that I'd need for a mod, but I can't find someone to actually do it. I know a lot about A/V, but can do absolutely nothing that requires the use of a soldering iron and system-level electronics knowledge.

I thought about it though, and if I add up the cost of an XRGB and an RGB-modded NES, both of which I'd need if I went with my Hitachi, it's probably close to the cost of this Sony (before shipping). My NES would be hooked up via composite to the Sony, but I've seen it on several Wegas now and the quality is just fine because the comb filters on the Sony sets are very good.

It's a tough call, but this would certainly be the last, best CRT I'd ever have to buy. And at 100 pounds, it's actually manageable, unlike the 32" 165 pound beast I had a couple years back.

thirdkind

Chin's Bartender
20 Year Member
One last question before I commit myself. If I get SCART cables for my US Genesis, SNES, Saturn, and Neo, they'll play on a Euro/multi-system TV via SCART at 60Hz, right? No compatibility issues?

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
cable shouldn't be a problem. As long as the TV's SCART port supports the 50-60hz range, you're good.

thirdkind

Chin's Bartender
20 Year Member
Thanks. I sent an e-mail to the seller asking about NTSC 60Hz via the SCART input.

I can't believe I'm buying another CRT :)

BigTinz

VT's Bitch , You can fuck this mouth for a fruit c
Does anyone have experience with the larger flat tube 4:3 Panasonic Taus?

There's one locally for like $95 that looks absolutely untouched. It says 1080i HD ready and has 4 component inputs/3 svid/5 composite, probably 32-37 inch ....but I don't know a damn thing about them.

thirdkind

Chin's Bartender
20 Year Member
Does anyone have experience with the larger flat tube 4:3 Panasonic Taus?

There's one locally for like $95 that looks absolutely untouched. It says 1080i HD ready and has 4 component inputs/3 svid/5 composite, probably 32-37 inch ....but I don't know a damn thing about them.

I think it was TonK who has/had one and loved it. They're basically Panasonic's answer to Sony's Wega CRT line. A 32" HD ready model for $95 is a pretty good deal depending on age and condition.