what's the 'TRUE' King of Fighters? (not SNK exclusive)

What's the 'TRUE' King of 2-D fighters?

• Kof 98

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • Kof 99

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Kof 2001

• Fatal Fury: MOTW

Votes: 29 23.6%
  • Real Bout 2

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Street Fighter 3:3rd Strike

Votes: 14 11.4%
  • Super Street Fighter 2: TURbO (aka 'X')

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • X-men:COTA

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Marvel Super Heroes Vs Street Fighter

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Steet Fighter Alpha 2

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Street Fighter Alpha 3

• Guily Gear XX

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • The Last Blade 2

• Samurai Shodown 4

• Samurai Shodown 2

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Samurai shodown 3

• Street Fighter 2 Turbo

• Fatal Fury Special

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • Pocket Fighter

• none, as the game i like isn't popular enough to be listed (I f***ing hate you)

Votes: 7 5.7%

• Total voters

GENOCIDE CUTTER '94

Ukyo's Doctor
just curious to see what you folks think, I've tried not to be too biased in my list, just adding what appear to be the most popular of games of certain franchises, although there are a couple which perhaps aren't so popular, but hey, it's still 'my' poll, so a little subjectivity is to be expected. I you feel I've posted this in the wronng forum.. meh, no one's perfect, least of all me.

p.s. I havn't voted yet.

p.p.s. Yeah, i'm aware it's one big Capcom vs SNk wank-fest, but c'mon, in the last 10 years or so, who else has been worth mentioning? Sammy have only just begun to rea their heads, and apart from the visuals, it's been a pretty mediocre show.

Last edited:

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
Back in the day Super Turbo(and its predecessors) was the King and this is not just my opinion. Remember waiting in line on SF machines just to get your 5 second turn?

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
Fatal Fury: MOTW

...As much as I love the KOF games and a few of the SF games (Zero 2, 3, SF III: TS, Street Fighter 1) I just look at Garou MOTW as the coolest of the bunch both in terms of it's graphics on the Neo hardware, and easy of playability. The learning curve is no doubt there but it's not masochistic either. Just wish there were another 8 more characters to pick from is all.

MERCENARY X99

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Another thing, most people think of LB1 to be better than LB2, and yet there's not LB1 on this list. Also, where's kof96,97,2k, 2k1 or 2k2? Why no Sam Sho V, but you've got 3 and 4 on there?

Spike

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I voted FFS.

I like that you put a variety of different games up there, but KOF '99? There are other games even within the KOF series that deserve to be there before '99 (all of them, really, only possibly excluding R-1 and R-2... and maybe '03 since I haven't played it much yet).

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
SouthtownKid said:
I voted FFS.

I like that you put a variety of different games up there, but KOF '99? There are other games even within the KOF series that deserve to be there before '99 (all of them, really, only possibly excluding R-1 and R-2... and maybe '03 since I haven't played it much yet).

I agree with every single letter of this post. I also voted FFS, and I think that 99 is a pile of horse shit compared to the other KOFs.... way too strict of controls. Slugish. Great BGs, but so what?

Spike

Orochi Manu

Banned
the perfect game play , is i think in the KOF series and my favorites are the 96 , 98 , 00 , 02 ( i vote for the 98 )

i don't like so much ff spécial , but the game play rocks ...

in the new games , guilty gear XX is probably the most interesting ...

Last edited:

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I just want to say one last thing: it took me damn near 6 years to enjoy FFS. For the longest time I found it to be a really shitty game. One day it clicked. For ever I loved Street Fighter 2, but now when I play SF2 and FFS.... fuck SF2. It can't compare to FFS by a long shot. I just get so bored with SF2 (all versions) but could play FFS for hours.

Spike

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
As excellent as the gamepaly is in 2k1, if I had to choose one fighter to own for the rest of my life it would be Capcom vs SNK. That game exudes so much style with an amazing soundtrack to boot.

GENOCIDE CUTTER '94

Ukyo's Doctor
Evenin' all, regarding my inclusion of kof99: personal bias! I feel it's an under appreciated game (shit, until recently even i thought it was kinda pants), sure, I prefer 96 & 94, but 99 did a lot for the series in terms of aethetics & put an interesting twist on the use of an extra person who jumps in, performs a move & jumps out again (sure, Capcom came up with the idea, but to me at least, SNKdid a better job of it).

Oh and I didn't include Marvel vs Capcom cos Marvel super Heroes vs Street Fighter is better :D And finally... I almost included CvS1 (for the same reasons stated by Mr B. Destruct), but decided not to due to the fact that Capcom put out such a half arsed effort with that game (it just feels like an incomplete SNk game to me, much like kof2000).

cheerio :p

Reality Check

World Hero
GENOCIDE CUTTER '94 said:

Oh and I didn't include Marvel vs Capcom cos Marvel super Heroes vs Street Fighter is better :D
cheerio :p

Tru. I think X-men vs Street Fighter deserves to be up there as well.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
GENOCIDE CUTTER '94 said:
Evenin' all, regarding my inclusion of kof99: personal bias! I feel it's an under appreciated game (shit, until recently even i thought it was kinda pants), sure, I prefer 96 & 94, but 99 did a lot for the series in terms of aethetics & put an interesting twist on the use of an extra person who jumps in, performs a move & jumps out again (sure, Capcom came up with the idea, but to me at least, SNKdid a better job of it).
The thing is, both KOF 2000 and '01 did it better, IMO... and 2000 still even has the aesthetics of good backgrounds and great music.

GENOCIDE CUTTER '94

Ukyo's Doctor
SouthtownKid said:
The thing is, both KOF 2000 and '01 did it better, IMO... and 2000 still even has the aesthetics of good backgrounds and great music.

Ah well, guess we'll just have to disagree on this one. the striker system in 2000 practically took over the whole game (if you play the game without using strikers, it just seems so dead), although the backgrounds and music are pretty sweet, the gameplay pretty one dimensinal without the strikers (to me). As fer 2k1, well.. superb gameplay, but ugly as sin. If the mixed 2k1 gameplay with 2k backgrounds and music, a near perfect kof wound be born. I just feel that 99 has the best balance of all the right aspects of a 'great' game.

man, that was a long answer.

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
I voted Real Bout 2, but only because it's closest in controlls to Fatal Fury: First Contact. It's not that in my younger days I wasn't one of those people waiting in line for Street Fighter 2/Turbo, just to be rooked into one of the endless Ryu Vs. Guile matches that could last a millenia. Real Bout 2 just catches my eyes and keeps my attention the most of the selections.
Though, it doesn't retain Duck King's dance club that I saw so many times on a few dorm-mate's Super Nintendos...(Well, one. But hey, when your in college you take what you can find. Even if it means you must join the Neo Geo Navy and explore other ports.)