What was your favorite movie as a kid that wasn't a kid's movie?

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I get the vibe for most of you parents were not too concerned about the rating of the movie.

Yup, the only thing my parents didn't want me to see was satanic stuff, like The Exorcist, or some of the popular horror movies like Nightmare on Elm Street.

I did see Poltergeist though.

Andy Is A Bastard

A Bastard, Andy Is,
I get the vibe for most of you parents were not too concerned about the rating of the movie.

Ha! Not even close...I was raised on a steady diet of horror movies and Tales From the Crypt. Honestly, watching it with the parents is probably what made them disregard any consideration for ratings.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member

Most parents back then probably cared when it came down to setting the rules, but a lot of us grew up during the VHS days when late fees used to add up. I also noticed that back then, parents had a say on what is watched or when it's watched on the main TV. As a parent, my kid's shows take over the main TV when he's awake.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Reading through this thread, I now realize how many movies I left off my list. Good thread.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Robocop
Bloodsport
Predator
Big Trouble In Little China
Alien

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
so of you guys are listing movies that weren't really available to people unless you had rich parents who could shell out for vcr tapes. 2001? Please. Silent Running?

You just end up sounding like like moron trying to sound really smart.

When I was a kid, I loved this one movie called the Sword and the Sorcerer. My dad taped it off HBO, but didn't get the entire thing. So I basically only got to see up to the crucifixion, and that was the end of it for me. A few years ago I saw the entire thing. It's a fun time.

I loved Conan the Barbarian and the Destroyer. I don't know which I preferred, but I guess the one with James Earl Jones was the clear superior flick. Both were a lot of fun. Flash Gordon was another movie that I got to see a lot. It showed on UPN a lot, along with Clash of the Titans.

FUCKIN BARBARIAN!! Jones lopping off heads.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
I was a child of the 70's...right at the dawn of the consumer VCR era but they were costy and definitely didn't have access to one for personal use. That said, during my childhood there were definitely less 'kiddie movies' around, especially those that didn't have the word 'Disney' on it so I watched mostly non-kid movies, too numerous to list and none that really stood out as a favorite.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Not sure about this one (as it's not been mentioned)... but when I finally saw Batman (1989), when it released on VHS, it was 15 age rated. I remember my mum wouldn't allow me to have/watch it because of the press/media kicking up a bit of a fuss about how it was really quite dark and violent vs, what I assume, the general public had come to expect from the Adam West TV show - as opposed to the comics themselves.

Anyway, I circumvented her wishes and saw it at a friends in the end. It has been one of my top 10 movies ever since. Still, the best Batman film to date imo...

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
b rated ninja movies too. can't remember any titles and have never seen one that quite measures up to the ones I remember.
Last Hurrah for Chivalry and jackie chans to kill with intrigue sort of have the same 'vibe' but not quite it.
one I remember had the guy doing the reed breathing underwater thing in a river to hide then he popped out and took out the guys who were chasing him. blood would spray all over and the body counts were massive, I don't remember any plots in them? anybody else? someone that can remember a name for one?
I used to have an awesome B-rated Ninja movie as a kid I was obsessed with called "Ninja in the Killing Fields". Apparently, it's called something like "The Ninja Connection" in the states (I've found after searching for it since).

It was awesome. It had a classic Red vs Yellow Ninja Master face off. A group of Ninja's making their badly dubbed escape in a 70's Honda Accord. The car gets stuck. They all have to get out (in Ninja garb) and start pushing the car along. Ninja's getting blown up by tanks on the "Killing Fields". A Ninja doubling as Border Control transforms from an army officer into a Ninja and proceeds to triple flip and mount an escaping Mitsubishi who he suspects to contain a rival Ninja Master, stabbing his Ninja-to through the roof repeatedly and leans over the side of the speeding/weaving vehicle and smashed the driver window and starts throwing shurikens through the window.

Seriously. So bad it's good. The very end sequence consists of Toads being involved. It makes zero sense... which is amazing.

I also had Last Hurrah for Chivalry. It was recorded off TV one night (early hours) however, for whatever reason, it didn't record the ending. I liked it though.

The movie you are referring too (reed underwater) is most probably Shogun Assassin. Or, if your lucky, the legitimate version (as Shogun Assassin is simply a mish-mash of 2x Samurai movies from the Lone Wolf & Cub series) of Sword of Vengeance or Babycart at River Styx. Can't remember which off hand.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
I forgot to mention Bakshi's "Fire and Ice" and "Wizards".

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Thinking about the comedies I used to watch. Some not so kid friendly but a damn fine crop.

Bill and Ted
Animal House
Porky's
Hollywood Knights
National Lampoons Vacation
Fast Times at Ridgemeont High
Airplane
The Naked Gun
Three Amigos
Planes Trains and Automobiles
A Fish Called Wanda
The Man with Two Brains
Caddyshack
Big
Pee Wee's Big Adventure
Clue
UHF
Back to the Future
Beetlejuice
Roger Rabbit

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
When I was a child I went totally crazy with E.T. and Tron. :-)

E.T.: I kid movie really inspired I would say. It has its points. When everyone was crazy with aliens coming down to kick human asses, E.T. just switched the p.o.w. by 180°, huh? Also, it's a movie about solitude and emotional communication in infancy. Definitely worth seeing.

Tron: alas, "do you have faith in users" is such powerful a line that just blown the shit out the whole Matrix dumbness. I was amazed to think that our "level" of reality may just be a level in the middle in a whole wide array of realities. Ok, I was like 6 or 7. Not an epiphany, but pretty impressed. :-)

In early adolescence years I've got hooked to Back to the Future, for I was really into time traveling. And aliens, of course, thus I loved Close Encounters of the Third Kind as well. This one maybe does not strictly count as a kid movie, right?

Distopic future was also my thing, so yet, Terminator and Terminator2 I loved also, but not as much as RoboCop. RoboCop had this 'realistic' ring to it that really made it into a classic beyond usual SF flicks imho.

Oh, and the other thing I was crazy about was the idea of mystical old artifacts, so yes, Indy was my friend.

Than 'Fushigi no Umi no Nadia' came linking all my narrative fetishes and heh, I was done.

Last edited:

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
dawn of the dead, was first horror film the family rented out when we got a video recorder.
Always loved the good the bad and the ugly since first time i see it in the 70s